1. Originally posted by WikipediaThe Verve (originally Verve) are a British rock band formed in Wigan, Greater Manchester in 1989 at Winstanley Sixth Form College, by vocalist Richard Ashcroft, guitarist Nick McCabe, bassist Simon Jones, and drummer Peter Salisbury. Simon Tong later became a member. The band split in April 1999 due to inner conflicts which led to McCabe's departure. The band's original line-up reunited in June 2007. The band embarked on a tour in late 2007 and released Forth in August 2008.

Beginning with a psychedelic sound indebted to shoegazing and space rock, by the mid-1990s the band had released several EPs and two acclaimed records. They also endured name and lineup changes, breakups, health problems, drug abuse and various lawsuits. The band's commercial breakthrough was the album Urban Hymns and its single "Bitter Sweet Symphony", which became a massive worldwide hit. Soon after this commercial peak, the band broke up, citing creative struggles between band members. By then, The Verve had become one of the most influential British alternative rock acts of the decade.

Discography:
    A Storm In Heaven (1993)
    A Northern Soul (1995)
    Urban Hymns (1997)
    Forth (2008)

The Verve are one of my 3 favourite bands. I wonder if there's anyone except of me here who likes this band, cause I've got mainly negative response when I asked some members about them.
  2. Urban Hymns was mostly great but haven't gave their other stuff a look in and probably never will. I watched their Glasto set on tv last year and it was excellent.
  3. Originally posted by germcevoy:Urban Hymns was mostly great but haven't gave their other stuff a look in and probably never will. I watched their Glasto set on tv last year and it was excellent.

Yep, that's their only album own. I found it too repetitive, so I could never be arsed to explore their other stuff.
  4. Originally posted by germcevoy:Urban Hymns was mostly great but haven't gave their other stuff a look in and probably never will. I watched their Glasto set on tv last year and it was excellent.

Urban Hymns are very good imo. Their first album, A Storm In Heaven, is pure psychedelic and it's a great experience to listen to it. I don't like A Northern Soul and Forth very much, but Forth is a nice album for relaxing. Ashcroft has some great solo stuff as well.
  5. I like them, but I'm not a big fan of Ashcroft's voice. But Urban Hymns and Forth DO rock!
  6. History
    On Your Own
    Love is Noise

Only songs I listen to that aren't on Urban Hymns.

As with most, I own that one. Even that loses me in places.
  7. Originally posted by djrlewis:History
    On Your Own
    Love is Noise

Only songs I listen to that aren't on Urban Hymns.

As with most, I own that one. Even that loses me in places.

here's something for you then

8. listening to some of Richard's new material with his new band and it sounds great
  9. Richard solo never bettered The Verve's level, although I like most of his stuff I've heard. The Verve as band were excellent though, a bit repetitive but great as a whole.

Does Richard play any Verve stuff in his concerts?
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:Richard solo never bettered The Verve's level, although I like most of his stuff I've heard. The Verve as band were excellent though, a bit repetitive but great as a whole.

Does Richard play any Verve stuff in his concerts?

yep. Downloaded a show from his new band played last month.

Sonnet, Lucky Man, Space and Time, Drugs Don't Work etc are all there. Might upload the bootleg seeing as it's quite good
  11. I will get it no doubt. Excellent job with the Travis one, by the way, I've just listened to it
  12. I've got their last two albums, and they're amazing, I need to dig deeper when I get round to it.