1. I have the following MSN Explorer;

I have been using it for years and now from the 1st september it will no longer be available to use, only the subscription version will be available, so as you can imagine, I have added loads of sites into my favourites over the years, now its time to try and get them transfered to internet explorer and to save a backup copy in case internet explorer knacks up

so, how do I transfer my favs??
  2. So my post doesn't become mega-long:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why is the DAV protocol shutting down September 1, 2009?
    A: DAV is an older protocol that will be replaced by the DeltaSync protocol, which is able to efficiently handle the requirements of today’s e-mail usage.

Q: What is DAV?
    A: The DAV protocol is used to send/receive e-mail from the Hotmail service via the Internet. This protocol is used by all MSN client versions below 9.6.

Q: How do I know which MSN Client I am currently using to view my e-mail?
    A: Click on Help & Settings and then About MSN. If these options are not available, click on More Choices and About MSN Explorer. The MSN Client version is located at the top of the displayed window and will be similar to 0.00.0000.0000.

Q: I am using a free version of the MSN Explorer Client that is older than 9.6. How do I upgrade my client?
    A: If you are currently on one of the free versions of the MSN Client; you will be able to upgrade your MSN Client by signing up for a new MSN Premium subscription.

MSN Premium® gives you the persistent, PC-wide security features you need for a reliable broadband connection, such as MSN Virus Guard and MSN Firewall powered by McAfee® and Webroot® Spy Sweeper for MSN that scans and monitors your PC from known virus and spyware threats to help block them before they infect your computer. Plus, MSN Premium provides you access to many online services and tools such as easy online photo sharing and ad-free e-mail service. You can purchase a new MSN Premium subscription directly from the MSN Online Services website to continue enjoying the same customer experience that you have received from MSN Explorer® through the years.

For questions about these changes or to purchase an MSN Premium subscription, please visit our website or contact MSN Customer Care at (866) 205-6768.

Q: Will locally stored emails on my pc be transferred to the new MSN Explorer Client?
    A: Yes, if you are using version 9 of the MSN Explorer Client. No, if you are using MSN Explorer Client version 8 or lower.

Q: How do I save all of my MSN Explorer Client locally stored e-mails if I’m using version 8 or lower?
    A: Launch the MSN Explorer Client and sign in.

1. Click on the E-mail or Mail & More button in the navigation bar.
    2. Click on a folder under the Folders on My Computer section in the left pane.
    3. Choose the e-mails to save by using the individual check boxes. To select all the emails at once, click the link at the top of the check box column.
    4. Click the Put in Folder button (folder icon with arrow moving towards the outside of the folder) and select a destination folder located under the Folders on MSN section.
    5. Repeat steps 2-5 for each folder under the Folders on My Computer section
    6. Perform the above steps for each MSN Explorer Client and windows user account as needed.

Q: My computer does not meet the MSN Explorer Client version 9.6 system requirements. What other options do I have?
    A:

* POP3 in Outlook Express (Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP)
    * POP3 in Outlook 2002 or newer (included with some versions of Office)
    * http://www.hotmail.com

Q: What is POP3?
    A: POP3 is one of the most common mail protocols used to send/receive e-mail.

Q: What will my experience be like if I switch to POP3?
    A: Reading, replying, forwarding, etc. of messages via the POP3 application will not be reflected in Hotmail. Also, only e-mails located in your Hotmail inbox will be downloaded to the POP3 client, so any e-mails stored or filtered to other folders will not be displayed.

To set up POP3 in Outlook 2002:

1. In Outlook 2002, click on the Tools menu and then click E-Mail Accounts
    2. Choose Add a new e-mail account and then click Next
    3. In the Server Type box, select POP3
    4. In the Internet E-mail Settings (POP3) box, type your Hotmail account information:
    Under User Information:
    * In the Your Name field, type your name
    * In the E-Mail Address field, type your Windows Live ID (e.g. yourname@hotmail.com)
    Under Server Information:
    * In the Incoming mail server (POP3) field, type pop3.live.com
    * In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) field, type smtp.live.com
    Under Logon Information:
    * In the User Name field, type your Windows Live ID (e.g. yourname@hotmail.com)
    * In the Password field, type your password
    Click More Settings
    5. In the More Settings box,
    Select the Outgoing Server tab
    * Check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
    * Check the box next to Use same settings as my incoming mail server
    Select the Advanced tab
    Under Incoming Server (POP3)
    * Check the box for This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
    * The port number in the Incoming Server (POP3) field should automatically change from 110 to 995. If it doesn’t, make sure the port number is set to 995.
    Under Outgoing Server (SMTP),
    * Check the box next to This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)
    * In the Outgoing Server (SMTP) field, enter port 25 or 587
    If you'd like to keep a copy of your email messages on the Mail server, check the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server" on the Advanced Tab. If you want to delete your messages from the Mail server after viewing them in Outlook, don't check the box.
    Click OK
    6. Click Test Account Settings to make sure the information was entered correctly. If the test fails, please check the fields entered in step 4.
    7. When the test finishes successfully, click Next to see the Congratulations! Box. Click Finish.

To set up POP3 in Outlook Express:

1. In Outlook Express, click the Tools menu, and then click Accounts
    2. Click Add, and then click Mail.
    3. Type your name, and then click Next.
    4. Type your full Windows Live Hotmail e-mail address, and then click Next.
    5. Enter the following information, and then click Next:
    In the My incoming mail server is a drop-down, select POP3.
    In the Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP) server box, type pop3.live.com.
    In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) server box, type smtp.live.com.
    Click Next.
    6. Type the account name and the password for your Windows Live Hotmail account. Clear the Remember password check box unless you're the only person with access to the computer. Note: Do not check the box for Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA). Click Next.
    7. Click Finish.
    8. In the Internet Accounts window, click the Mail tab, click the Windows Live Hotmail account that you added, and then click Properties.
    9. Click the Advanced tab, and under Server Port Numbers, enter the following information, and then click OK:
    In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type 25.
    In the Incoming mail (POP3) box, type 995.
    Under both Outgoing mail (SMTP) and Incoming mail (POP3), select the This server requires a secure connection (SSL) check box.
    If you'd like to keep a copy of your email messages on the Mail server, check the box next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server" on the Advanced tab. If you want to delete your messages from the Mail server after viewing them in Outlook, don't check the box.
    Click OK.
    10. Click Close.

Q: What will happen after September 1, 2009, if my MSN client version is below 9.6 and I do nothing?
    A: The MSN Explorer Client will stop sending/receiving e-mail. However, you will be able to access all locally stored e-mails and access your email through the Hotmail web site http://www.hotmail.com. You will still be able to access all the other great features in the MSN Client including ‘Bing’ – a new search engine by Microsoft that provides a faster way to search & make better decisions.

Q: How can I learn more about Windows Live Essentials?
    A: You can learn more about Windows Live Essentials by visiting http://get.live.com for more details.

Q: How can I learn more about MSN Premium online service?
    A: You can learn more about MSN Premium online service by visiting http://get.msn.com/?prod=premium

Q: How can I learn more about MSN Toolbar?
    A: You can learn more about MSN Toolbar by visiting http://www.newmsntoolbar.com/ or http://toolbar.msn.com/markets.aspx for outside of US.

Q: How can I learn more about Microsoft Office Outlook and Office Outlook Connector?
    A: You can learn more about the Microsoft Office Outlook product by visiting http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/default.aspx. And visit http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx for Office Outlook Connector.

That mentions MSN Explorer mail client and that stuff like Bing can still be accessed so I take it that it should all still work.

Since you’re using MSN Explorer 9.6 to access your Hotmail account, you’ll not be affected by the protocol change in September 1, 2009. You don’t have to change any settings in your MSN Explorer 9.6. For further info, get in touch with the MSN Explorer Support by going to the link below:

https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=explorer&ct=eformts

That says something entirely different. WTF?