1. What happened?

I mean, i remember hearing a few years ago that they were gonna transform Pop into the masterpiece it was allways mean to be, but what happened to that?
  2. It's come up ever since Pop came out... most recently Bono mentioned it about a year ago. The only thing close was the remixing of tunes for "The Best of 1990-2000". Of those tunes remixed, none seemed better. (Not that there were bad)

In fact, I was disappointed with the remixed "Discotheque" sans the "boom cha's". While there may have been some minor changes to "Staring At The Sun" and "Gone", the remixed versions were neither better nor worse - in my opinion.

2007 is the 10 year anniversary of Pop. SO it would be 'fun' if there really did re-make each song - from the ground up. It could be a U2.com ONLY download, so they'd not have to hear the press scrutiny. And the proceeds could go to One.Org or African Well Fund and/or Music Rising.

I think a 2 version affair would be great. Have one disc go WAY into the dub/dance versions that they started. The 2nd disc worth being 'classic' U2 sounding versions of the tunes.

Just an idea... although, I would rather them just spend the time writing and recording a great NEW album.
  3. I think "Pop" is good as it is. I don't see a need to redo it.

It would be a nice idea to re- record a "classic sounding" version of it. They could do the same with "Zooropa" if they want. But I fear those re- recorded albums would look and smell in stores like fat and ugly cash cows.

Of course not if they'd make them available as free downloads.

Alex
  4. Here's something worth looking into:

With the advent of user-friendly audio editing tools and whatnot, wouldn't it be cool for a band (say, U2) to release the raw tracks for an entire album to allow its fanbase to mix them as they see fit?

Beck did this using a program called ACID for a couple songs for his Midnight Vultures record. He picked the best mixes for b-sides.

I have to believe that we are going to see more of this interaction between artists and musicians. Can you imagine the enthusiasm in the U2 community if we were actually allowed to play with mixes? The idea is too good to pass up.
  5. Well Bono's voice seems to be getting better, he needs to stop smoking.
    That way, he can get Pop redone, and the for the first time we can hear it, without a voice sounding like a chalkboard
  6. When you listen to tracks like "Discotheque," "Wake Up Dead Man," and "Staring At The Sun" on the original album, it's hard to understand the need to rerecord the album. But after a few seconds of "Miami" and "Last Night On Earth," it's pretty evident that POP needs to be re-worked.

The single mixes of a lot of the songs, including "Last Night On Earth," "Please," and "If God Will Send His Angels" were really superior sounding versions of the tunes, and were much closer to how they sounded live. All U2 really needs to do is re-record a couple of the songs, use the single mixes of others, throw out "Playboy Mansion," and include the Garage Mix of "Holy Joe" and maybe HMTMKMKM for an overall better sound.
  7. I like the "Playboy Mansion"

Alex