1. Heaven and Hell is a good Song.
  2. Hahaha what the hell! Very nicely done. How did you realize that? The original ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ94-pbjAPY ) doesn't sound ANYTHING like Horses.

The whole Kindergarten/Salome environment is amazing. It makes you wonder how many parts of unused songs ended up being essential parts of the 12 songs we all know and love.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Hahaha what the hell! Very nicely done. How did you realize that? The original ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ94-pbjAPY ) doesn't sound ANYTHING like Horses.

The whole Kindergarten/Salome environment is amazing. It makes you wonder how many parts of unused songs ended up being essential parts of the 12 songs we all know and love.
    That period is definitely a fascination (obsession) of mine. Think the 'Hansa' tapes are a mash of ideas ranging from '88 to late '90 that they wanted to keep.

Guess Back Mask was an experiment that they wanted to keep, 'Hey, let's play this song we can't seem to finish backwards and see what happens

And to @pet , how did you came up with the idea of reversing? You sort of solved a U2 mystery here
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Hahaha what the hell! Very nicely done. How did you realize that? The original ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ94-pbjAPY ) doesn't sound ANYTHING like Horses.

Guess because it's backwards with a strange snare effect I never suspected this either, as the Sira Vista liner notes suggested it was an early version of So Cruel. Which didn't make any sense to me as that was a song that had a sudden conception (like One) and it doesn't sound anything like So Cruel.

The kindergarten version of So Cruel nicely shows how that one started btw, and is a nice insight in how they wanted to mesh electronics with live playing. It has a four-bar drum loop over which Larry starts to play midway/2/3 into the song. Think I read somewhere that Adam's bass was gated/triggered through the kick drum, similar to what side-chain plugins do nowadays
  5. Once did an edit of that where you can clearly hear that, think Larry's live playing starts (and or subsitutes the canned beat around 5 mins in):

6. Seems like maybe some Eno experiment stuff? I remember hearing that he’ll freshen things up by asking to play songs at half time, backwards, in deferent keys, etc.

could be one of those examples
  7. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    Guess because it's backwards with a strange snare effect I never suspected this either, as the Sira Vista liner notes suggested it was an early version of So Cruel. Which didn't make any sense to me as that was a song that had a sudden conception (like One) and it doesn't sound anything like So Cruel.

The kindergarten version of So Cruel nicely shows how that one started btw, and is a nice insight in how they wanted to mesh electronics with live playing. It has a four-bar drum loop over which Larry starts to play midway/2/3 into the song. Think I read somewhere that Adam's bass was gated/triggered through the kick drum, similar to what side-chain plugins do nowadays
    Yeah I never got the So Cruel reference. Of course it was all "guessing" and only the band knew for a fact, but still... So Cruel? It sounded more like any of the other 11 tbh
  8. Originally posted by Release3:Seems like maybe some Eno experiment stuff? I remember hearing that he’ll freshen things up by asking to play songs at half time, backwards, in deferent keys, etc.

could be one of those examples
    Most probably, but still we are super curious what made @pet have the idea to turn it backwards 32 years later and solve a mistery.
  9. When i first heard Back mask in the early nineties i thought this song sounds reversed. Back then i did not have a soundsystem to play it reverse.
    The last two years i do a lot of video editing. A few days ago i remember that strange song Back wards and gave it a try.
    What i did not expect was that i had to increase the speed. And there it was WGRYWH. Brian eno or Daniël lanois remover the drum reversed it an but the drum over it.
    And I am still looking for stuff from the Achtung baby erea these days. Obsession……
  10. Originally posted by pet:When i first heard Back mask in the early nineties i thought this song sounds reversed. Back then i did not have a soundsystem to play it reverse.
    The last two years i do a lot of video editing. A few days ago i remember that strange song Back wards and gave it a try.
    What i did not expect was that i had to increase the speed. And there it was WGRYWH. Brian eno or Daniël lanois remover the drum reversed it an but the drum over it.
    And I am still looking for stuff from the Achtung baby erea these days. Obsession……
    I get the obsession haha.. I went as far as digging through Lovetown soundchecks to look for early versions of AB songs (I actually found 2 jams that turned into AB songs, Tryin' (which sounds epic through the wind noise) and a jam that sounds like UV and I Feel Free combined.

When I saw Edge holding those DAT tapes in From The Sky Down I just thought please release them

Any other rarities you have found outside of the 7cd bootleg?
  11. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    I get the obsession haha.. I went as far as digging through Lovetown soundchecks to look for early versions of AB songs (I actually found 2 jams that turned into AB songs, Tryin' (which sounds epic through the wind noise) and a jam that sounds like UV and I Feel Free combined.

When I saw Edge holding those DAT tapes in From The Sky Down I just thought please release them

Any other rarities you have found outside of the 7cd bootleg?
    Might as well post them here, both are from the Auckland '89 soundcheck where it was terribly windy. Tried my best to clean up the wind noise but still you have to listen 'through' it

Early Tryin'

This has elements of UV/I Feel Free/Until