1. smh at the title of this thread
  2. "Waves of regret, and waves of joy
    I reached out to the one I tried to destroy"

is one of the first U2 lyrics that emotionally connected with me / affected me
  3. Title - Until the End of the World: Why the love?

Me - because IT'S GLORIOUS.
  4. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:"Waves of regret, and waves of joy
    I reached out to the one I tried to destroy"

is one of the first U2 lyrics that emotionally connected with me / affected me
    This line is so very powerful because there's a little bit of Judas in all of us.
  5. good song all the way around, but i like the 'baby' version better than the album version....and for the live versions, Zoo TV all the way
  6. Definitely! I remember a few years ago we almost did right? You went to Coachella the year I didn't. 2013 if I recall correctly? Ironically I went in 2012 and 2014 so we missed that chance.

One day we need to schedule U2start members to all go to a show. Maybe the final show of the SOI + SOE tour?
  7. Originally posted by Droo: [...] Why does everyone love UTEOTW so much? [...] I find it to be a very flat, uninteresting song [...].

I am authentically wondering what it is about this song that so many of you love. I want to like it more, considering how everyone else seems to adore it, but I just...don't.

Does anybody else agree with me? If not, what about the song makes you love it?

I first heard the song when Achtung Baby came out and in those days the song actually did freight me in a good literary fashion like a thriller or a Clive Barker horror story. It was hard to put the song aside. It’s attractiveness for me was foremost that I felt somehow related to the subject matter of the song in a way that it suddenly seemed very urgent to deal with personally. But as it is with these stories I just mentioned, they will loose their scariness after too much exposure and with UTEOTW it is not any different.

On a more technical note, the appreciation of music is, like any other form of art, in the end always a matter of taste. No doubt that a certain amount of aesthetic education will also help to value works of art (as to appreciate the craftsmanship, or the technÄ“, if you want to say it fancy), but the bottom line as to whether one finds the work beautiful or not always remains something subjective. Beauty “as such” does not exist. Beauty is not a property of an object in a way that size, weight, or even colour is. Beauty, in other words, is not objectively measurable; it is only the subjective valuation of the beholder.
    A group of people may certainly agree that one particular object or work of art is beautiful, but another group – or individual – may equally share their disgust with respect to that object or whatever it is they regard.

Thus in the case of UTEOTW there are two things that need to be separated. One is the craftsmanship of the song, the other is simply whether one likes it or not. However, the first can never be an argument for the second. One may appreciate the craftsmanship, but still dislike the song (and even the other way round is possible: the song may be crappy, but I still like it!). The ultimate explanation of why we like UTEOTW does not exist: it simply “hits” us and for some reason it gives us pleasure. But beware, we are nothing but a small minority: most of the people on this planet do not care a tiny little bit for U2, let alone UTEOTW specifically. In fact I’m pretty sure that most people dislike the song altogether should they be confronted with it!

To conclude lightly, I sometimes like to “read” UTEOTW as Until The End Of The Week – for some reason I personally think that this very funny…
  8. The live version is even better than the real thing! Always liked it on Zoo TV but i loved it more on the Elevation Tour when,after the first 2 "new" songs were played they just burst into it,love the Slane version what a climax with Edges guitar and Larrys drums.
  9. Also Droo you place Lemon in your top 3,i could say why the love?
    Likewise the Zooropa fans here will probably rip me a new one for saying this but it was awful then and awful now.Sorry.
  10. the lyrics, the guitar, the bridge, the outro