2010-10-08 - Rome
Tour: U2 360° Tour
Songs played: 26
Audio recordings: 5
Videos: 1

1. Not really, I had my (positive) opinions based on the first 15 shows of the leg, and attending the San Sebastian show didn't change my mind much. One can have an opinion based on just bootlegs and videos, although it won't be as accurate and "valid" (every opinion is equally valid, but you get my point) than the opinion based on attended shows, of course.

That said... Some are good points and some not.

I agree about the lack of "definition" in Bono's vocal parts sometimes, but I don't know if it has to do with the sound or with himself. It varies from show to show, so...

I more or less agree with the lack of NLOTH stuff - after all, it's the album they're promoting, and it should be played more... but if the songs just didn't work live? Audiences from Europe and USA shown them last year that songs like Breathe, Unknown Caller or NLOTH didn't work live as well as others do (GOYB, Magnificent just to give 2 examples from the same album)... Therefore, dropping them a clever movement I think - why keeping some songs in the setlist that are unknown to the 80% of the audience and/or don't get the crowd pumped??

I don't agree about the mistakes. Of course they feel more relaxed now, but I think that's a good thing, it's not negative. Sloppy? Not so much. Edge did many more mistakes last year (specially in the ~10 first shows of the European leg) than this past leg, I even worried abut him at some points.

In general, I think this leg has been particullary awesome, much better than last year's ones. We've had 5 new songs performed on stage (something that never happened before - and 6 if we count Mercy), we've had some surprises night after night, we've had some great individual performances (Brussels 2, Hannover, Zurich, San Sebastian, Rome) and we've seen the band smiling and enjoying themselves more than ever. What else can we ask Acrobat&Heartland for??
  2. I agree that this leg is not that much better than the first leg, performance wise. The first 10 shows or so of the first leg were gold, so are shows from this leg. People tend to forget they played a lot of more 'new' or 'rare' songs in the first leg though.

NLOTH
    Unknown Caller
    Breathe
    The Unforgettable Fire
    Ultraviolet
    Party girl
    Electrical Storm

All 'better' (these actually sound finished) than the demo's than we heard up till now.

What does makes this leg better than the first is not the quality of performance, but the attitude. The band dares to play unreleased songs and shook things up more frequently.

About Bono's voice:

I dont understand why people complain about Bono's voice. In general its much better than during the Vertigo, Elevation and Popmart tours.

Sure he's not perfect, sometimes he loses himself in the music and 'forgets' to sing. I think this is his best tour so far.

What also is in favour of the third leg is the amount of excellent recordings
  3. Originally posted by Risto:I agree that this leg is not that much better than the first leg, performance wise. The first 10 shows or so of the first leg were gold, so are shows from this leg. People tend to forget they played a lot of more 'new' or 'rare' songs in the first leg though.

NLOTH
    Unknown Caller
    Breathe
    The Unforgettable Fire
    Ultraviolet
    Party girl
    Electrical Storm

All 'better' (these actually sound finished) than the demo's than we heard up till now.

What does makes this leg better than the first is not the quality of performance, but the attitude. The band dares to play unreleased songs and shook things up more frequently.

About Bono's voice:

I dont understand why people complain about Bono's voice. In general its much better than during the Vertigo, Elevation and Popmart tours.

Sure he's not perfect, sometimes he loses himself in the music and 'forgets' to sing. I think this is his best tour so far.

What also is in favour of the third leg is the amount of excellent recordings

+1

Bono's voice was great during the last leg of the vertigo tour, though. It is changing in time, but it's great - great for records, for concerts etc. It'll be great -- even if it changes -- as long as they have fun playing. And they are having fun now. I think what we like of the 2010 version of U2 is their renewed enthousiasm, creativity and love for music ... they're perhaps a tad more humble too. 360 is helping them, pretty much in the same way as Zoo TV did with Zooropa. It's a great tour from an artistic, human and commercial point of view. Hope it'll continue in 2011 in Europe!
  4. Generally, I think the 360 tour, at least the European legs, are among the best U2 tours ever. The 2010 tour, so far, has blown a lot of stuff they've done previously out of the water. I can do a list of things here that lead me to this conclusion, and I'm basing my opinion mostly on my own experience, having seen many shows live these last 2 years. Bono's vocals blew me away. He didn't sound really weak ever, no ups and downs. There was a clear increase of enthusiasm and playfulness within the band, plus their surprising step towards trying out new and formerly unreleased material. There was also a highly emotional side to this tour, and to the 2010 leg especially, which I suppose came from Bono recovering from such a serious injury and surgery that could have easily ended his and the band's carreer. Seeing the four of them together on stage, being very affectionate with each other and just showing their love and friendhip was something that I found very moving and that I will never forget. The songs sounded great, even the old staples seemed to have gone to a new fresh and energetic level, the setlists were fine as well. Not much to complain about. I felt that the show improved with every concert I've seen. I hope the band can keep up the energy, enthusiasm and dynamics that way and I'm sure the next legs of the tour will also be amazing. It saddens me that I won't be able to see any of those upcoming shows in person, but I'm still looking so much forward to hearing and seeing fan reports, videos and bootlegs. If the AUS/NZ leg will be even close to the AUS/NZ leg of the Vertigo tour - or even better - I think we're in for something truly spectacular
  5. Originally posted by Cypress: If the AUS/NZ leg will be even close to the AUS/NZ leg of the Vertigo tour - or even better - I think we're in for something truly spectacular

You are!
  6. Originally posted by Cypress:There was also a highly emotional side to this tour, and to the 2010 leg especially, which I suppose came from Bono recovering from such a serious injury and surgery that could have easily ended his and the band's carreer. Seeing the four of them together on stage, being very affectionate with each other and just showing their love and friendhip was something that I found very moving and that I will never forget

THAT!!!
  7. Sorry...Just my feelings. Still a fan and all. I've seen 9 shows, just none on this leg.
    Thanks for the discussions. Maybe I'll take another listen.
  8. A few weeks ago someone posted a picture with the ''action'' during ISHF. I used that picture as my background but now my Laptop got broke and that picture was deleted, and now I cant find it anymore on this forum.
    So my questions is does anybody know where this picture is on this forum??
  9. I think the 3rd Leg was better especially because they had a style, especially Bono, that they had not had for a while. Plus the new songs, good performances... This leg has something more, definitely. Don't know how to really define it though
  10. multicam up on u2t