1989-12-18 - Amsterdam
Tour: Lovetown
Songs played: 17
Audio recordings: 4
Videos: 1
  1. I was there, Lucky me! I treasure the bootlegs and memories from it.

The excitement before this concert was huge, because U2-fever had struck hard in the Netherlands after the 2 great 1987 JT-tour performances in “the Kuip” and the warmly received Rattle And Hum album and movie.
    3 shows were planned at this RAI venue in 1989, of which this was supposed to be the first. Considering the fights that broke out in 1987 at the ticketoffices to get tickets for U2 (in those days you had to queue in person for more then 12 hours to get tickets) the concert promotor MOJO thought out a system for distributing tickets evenly/fairly by replying with a coupon from the newspapers. We were very fortunate to get tickets, because the demand was enormeous.

I remember being blown away by Hawkmoon and Desire. Very strong performances. After that it became obvious that things weren’t well with Bono’s voice. The great thing about that was that Bono let the audience sing for large parts of songs. And we did. At a great volume. Often Bono would point his microphone with both arms stretched towards the audience and bowed his head as a way of saying: HELP me please! Crowd participation and community singing at its best! large parts of NYD and Pride are almost entirely audience-sung.
    During GOD part II (how apt on a day like today, 30 years after John Lennon died) Bono’s frustration at the cracking up of his voice came out: he swung the microphone round by the wire in large circles (yes boys and girls, we weren’t wireless in those days….) and it hit the floor several times. You can hear that in the bootleg. This was followed by a poignant Help. Very emotional performance and a very emotional ending of this gig. I remember coming home relatively early and my mum and dad asking me: you are back early; wasn’t it any good?.....

I got a refund ("this is now a free concert in Holland" ), but because of the fact I couldn’t get tickets for the replacement Ahoy gigs in january 1990, I swore to myself I would attend every Dutch U2 gig for the coming 25 years…. I’m doing pretty well thus far...
  2. Let me illustrate my story a little:

Does anyone of you recognise my experiences (post above)?

3. Whoa!! I'm jealous, lucky you

4. Those were the days, 47 guilders for a ticket (guess around 22 euros)

Found my zoo tv ticket this week, this was 55 guilders
  5. Originally posted by Malahide:[..]

Those were the days, 47 guilders for a ticket (guess around 22 euros)

Found my zoo tv ticket this week, this was 55 guilders

yeah, nowadays it all became a little more expensive..... I don't want to think about the total amount of money the 360 tour has cost me up untill now....
  6. Those were the days..