1. As a 20 year old and one of the younger generations Of a U2 Fan, i feel like U2 are becoming more of an older generation band than a band with a wider range of audiences. For example when I go out, or go to a mates house where older music gets played from the 70s through to 90s/00s, no one plays or even considers to play U2 music and I feel like I’m the odd one out that wants to give them a run on the speakers.

So my thought is that the generation that lived with U2s prime will always be fans but, the current youth generation will leave U2 in the dust compared to other 80s/90s band, because they don’t appeal to today’s youth music and didn’t get to experience them in their prime so u2 will eventually die out to this youth of generation? I don’t know but this is my thoughts of being a younger fan living in Australia.
  2. Originally posted by CrashCaderz:As a 20 year old and one of the younger generations Of a U2 Fan, i feel like U2 are becoming more of an older generation band than a band with a wider range of audiences. For example when I go out, or go to a mates house where older music gets played from the 70s through to 90s/00s, no one plays or even considers to play U2 music and I feel like I’m the odd one out that wants to give them a run on the speakers.

So my thought is that the generation that lived with U2s prime will always be fans but, the current youth generation will leave U2 in the dust compared to other 80s/90s band, because they don’t appeal to today’s youth music and didn’t get to experience them in their prime so u2 will eventually die out to this youth of generation? I don’t know but this is my thoughts of being a younger fan living in Australia.
    I get ya. I've been to a few house parties where people play typical cheesy 80s music. Everyone loves it. I remember once I put on with or without you and someone yelled "turn that shit off"

I'm 20 years old myself, and for the first couple years of discovering U2 I was defending them to my friends. I would always get stick for listening to them, but now I don't really care. None of my mates were born when Oasis were in their prime, but yet its cool to like Oasis now but not U2?

I think U2 will live on during our generation, they're still releasing music and touring. Still seem fairly popular on RSD releases etc. But I think this popularity will only continue for maybe 10-15 years max, maybe not even that. I certainly won't let U2 die when it comes to my children generation. But its up to us to pass it onto them, because I don't think they'll naturally find it themselves. I just had a look at the UK Top 50 chart and I genuinely don't know a single song on there.
  3. Exactly my thoughts ^ this younger generation unfortunately will never realise how big and good U2 was in the day imo
  4. Originally posted by CrashCaderz:As a 20 year old and one of the younger generations Of a U2 Fan, i feel like U2 are becoming more of an older generation band than a band with a wider range of audiences. For example when I go out, or go to a mates house where older music gets played from the 70s through to 90s/00s, no one plays or even considers to play U2 music and I feel like I’m the odd one out that wants to give them a run on the speakers.

I’m 31 and feel the same way. That said, U2 aren’t the most “party playlist” band out there.
  5. Anyone of us cunts that has heard Bad live recently should feel proper privileged.
  6. I guess many of us were "disappointed" in 2017 when hearing Bad - because it meant no ASOH
    (Except for those lucky bastards in Seattle and Santa Clara who got borh)
  7. Regarding U2 fading away and younger people not giving a shit...

All bands have a life span and U2 have done brilliantly lasting as long as they have - same with the Stones but the Stones haven't wrote a 'catchy' tune since the early 80s (nearly 40 years ago) - and U2 are still an awesome live band - again, like the Stones.

Yes, it's scary that U2, Oasis and even Coldplay are 'oldies' these days - don't know what you'd call the Stones... 'fossils' maybe - but that's just life moving on. We all get older.

If I was a major talented musician then all I'd worry about is making music and if people liked hearing it and watching me play it then cool. I wouldn't worry about the dollar bill, charts, awards and relevance - all that shows is insecurity to me.

U2 should just fcuk the kids off and the relevancy and the charts and the celebrity awards culture and just fcukin play music.

They will always be my favourite band, but not necessarily play my favourite music.
  8. Originally posted by Alvin:I guess many of us were "disappointed" in 2017 when hearing Bad - because it meant no ASOH
    (Except for those lucky bastards in Seattle and Santa Clara who got borh)
    Yes. I never thought I would be disappointed and angry at hearing Bad's opening synth but it definitely happened at Croke Park. Not playing A Sort Of Homecoming during their Homecoming gig was so, so, so disappointing.
  9. And probably it's final chance to have been played there again
  10. Nah, I don't agree that U2 will fade from existence in terms of people ever listening to them, in fact - I think when the band finally retire, and then you give it a good decade or two, there'll be a new wave of people who become fans of their music.

It's easy for people to dismiss U2 these days when they do shit like force their music into your phones, or Bono is out there gladhanding politicians and telling everyone how they ought to be (not saying this is how I view it, but it's how it's viewed by others), and it all overshadows their musical legacy - it does, no question. Even Bono's face/wearing sunglasses rubs people the wrong way lol.

But eventually, you'll have a hipster kid who discovers The Unforgettable Fire or Achtung Baby who puts it onto all of his friends etc. Suddenly it'll become cool to like this artist that MOST people don't like (which happens all the time even these days), and there'll be another wave of people who like their music.

I really think that's going to happen, but it won't happen until they retire and stop putting out new stuff. That's the main difference between a band like New Order or The Cure or whatever else people are getting off of their "totally 80s!" playlists - none of those artists are still as big as U2, none of them are putting out stuff that kind of discounts their older stuff, etc.