1. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]

I didn't say Bono isn't intelligent but I must admit that the whole Aung San Suu Kyi cause did him NO FAVOURS AT ALL.

And to reference your reply I don’t see why walking in the streets in robes and sandals would gain him any more respect, I was making a Gandhi analogy and if you read any books on him then you will understand that to change things in his own country he decided to revert back to traditional Indian dress and Indian culture to be at one with the people and therefore to be part of a change not wear the suit and ties of the western aggressors.

Bono is a big fan of Gandhi so it's all relevant.

It's a weak argument to say that all critics of Bono wouldn't do a better job - how would you know?

If Bono is willing enough to elevate (no pun intended) himself to a platform where he has his say, his opinions and his answers then he's going to meet with people who are going to question him. He needs to be prepared for criticism.

How many times have the band played on the African continent? A few times ONLY in South Africa? Surely a pared down tour of the less wealthy nations would draw massive attention and highlight all those important issues of starving and dying children?

It will never happen and the 'official' reason would be that it wasn't manageable or it would be a logistical nightmare or there are too many security risks - but the real reason would be 'Oh wait, there's no money in that so scrub that!'.

You can see why a person preaching on one hand whilst accepting $$$$ in the other will have their detractors,

And we're not having this debate about Edge, Adam or Larry - and I wonder why that is.
    The Aung San Suu Kyi cause was completely the right thing to do at the time. There was no good reason for the woman to be under house arrest, she has made mistakes since but the band have also acknowledged that.

Bono isn’t Gandhi nor is he trying to be. He is simply making people aware of issues that don’t sit well with him. People are free to chose to get onboard or not and that’s ok but I don’t think it’s ok to criticise Bono for highlighting the issues simply because of his own lifestyle choices.

I struggle to think how playing shows in less wealthy locations would achieve more awareness and highlight issues more.

Of course I can see why someone who is very wealthy but who also likes to preach gets a hard time. Jealousy, envy, people with a generally negative mindset and who think the worst of people or question others motives. People knowing deep down that Bono has a point but can’t bare to admit it or who find it easier to justify there own greed by pointing to Bono’s wealth and asking why he doesn’t do more while they do nothing. Personally I don’t do a lot for charity, certainly not enough but at least I’m honest enough to admit it and don’t criticise others who do much more than me.

Adam, Edge and Larry are far less outspoken and don’t attract as much attention. They do talk about issues now and then but don’t exactly preach about it, and that’s there choice and I’m sure they all do a great deal of charitable work themselves although I’d think less than Bono.
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    The Aung San Suu Kyi cause was completely the right thing to do at the time. There was no good reason for the woman to be under house arrest, she has made mistakes since but the band have also acknowledged that.

Bono isn’t Gandhi nor is he trying to be. He is simply making people aware of issues that don’t sit well with him. People are free to chose to get onboard or not and that’s ok but I don’t think it’s ok to criticise Bono for highlighting the issues simply because of his own lifestyle choices.

I struggle to think how playing shows in less wealthy locations would achieve more awareness and highlight issues more.

Of course I can see why someone who is very wealthy but who also likes to preach gets a hard time. Jealousy, envy, people with a generally negative mindset and who think the worst of people or question others motives. People knowing deep down that Bono has a point but can’t bare to admit it or who find it easier to justify there own greed by pointing to Bono’s wealth and asking why he doesn’t do more while they do nothing. Personally I don’t do a lot for charity, certainly not enough but at least I’m honest enough to admit it and don’t criticise others who do much more than me.

Adam, Edge and Larry are far less outspoken and don’t attract as much attention. They do talk about issues now and then but don’t exactly preach about it, and that’s there choice and I’m sure they all do a great deal of charitable work themselves although I’d think less than Bono.

It's been good having this debate with you deanallison

It's never been personal between us which can happen a lot when debating unpopular issues such as these.

I do tend to play the Devil's advocate a lot of the times and I also like to push my heroes to breaking point to see if they are just that - a hero.

I think it's a general rule in life that we should always question our heroes, our peers, our elders, our faiths, our politicians and our own actions too, of course.

We may not agree on all the points raised but I think they have been raised to open debate and that debate could garner a greater respect and understanding of our subject rather than a negative one.

One thing we do agree on though is that when push comes to shove that we are both fans of our favourite front man and his heart is in the right place
  3. Wow you can read - well done you.

And I'm glad that you have got back together with ConorMac93 as you make a lovely couple.

Keep on posting your insightful thoughts - I look forward to reading them.
  4. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]
    Wow you can read - well done you.

And I'm glad that you have got back together with ConorMac93 as you make a lovely couple.

Stick to your socks and sandals gaffer 💦😂
  5. I wish the band will come out with an all new image for their next album like they did for achtung baby... then again will it work with their age now haha

At least the band take risk with their next album and not be too safe in their sound
  6. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]
    Wow you can read - well done you.

Me and Conor never split up
  7. They should work with Rick Rubin and do a full on rock album no mid tempo drivel that they do to try and appeal to a broader audience, the last album was too laid back in parts a lot of those songs won't reappear again when they tour the next album.
  8. Originally posted by popmarter:They should work with Rick Rubin and do a full on rock album no mid tempo drivel that they do to try and appeal to a broader audience, the last album was too laid back in parts a lot of those songs won't reappear again when they tour the next album.
    They did work with him and binned the material apart from Window In The Skies and The Saints Are Coming.
  9. Originally posted by CrashCaderz:I wish the band will come out with an all new image for their next album like they did for achtung baby... then again will it work with their age now haha

At least the band take risk with their next album and not be too safe in their sound
    Cosmic pop like Noel has done haha.
  10. If U2 do another big world tour again, they must do something to creatively shake things up more than just new stage designs - such as different costumes and characters they transform into. I really love theatrical U2. I love the lights, the stage setups, etc, but I love the songs to be theatrical in terms of the way they are performed too.

U2 used to be very good at theatrics if you look back at the Zoo TV and the Pop era - load up a few videos from those tours and you can see that.

I know U2 dabbled in theatrics again recently with a revival of Mr Macphisto in the most recent tours, but I'd love to see Bono go further and revive characters like the mirrorball man, the dalton brothers, the fly, all for certain sections of the playlist. Bono could play every version of himself from every tour for certain songs if he wanted to really go full into it. It might sound crazy, but I don't think they are too old just yet to not pull it off. It would certainly give a new energy and excitement back. He did that already well with the revival of Macphisto and his old JT era self in songs like Exit.