1. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]Yeh I remember that.

Pity they just didn't play the Innocence as the first half of the show and the Experience as the second half.

...or did they?
    We all remember that missed chance. It would have been SO MUCH better to have 2 completely different nights than having just 3-5 rotational spots in the setlist (that were 90% the same between cities anyway). I can understand why they ditched it, but what I refuse to accept is that they still wanted to present night1 and night2 as "two totally different experiences"............. really!?
  2. On a different note and since this is the U2 Thoughts topic: I listened to Hasta La Vista, Baby this morning while coming to the office and... wow, what a GREAT album Pop was, and what a LAME tour Popmart was (mainly because of Bono's poor vocals).
  3. Two complete run through of SOI this week. Hmmm. Must check my temperature.

Miracle goes on for a minute longer than is necessary for a punch opener and Volcano is still terrible. Oddly these are my only two real complaints as if this week. Hmnnn indeed.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    We all remember that missed chance. It would have been SO MUCH better to have 2 completely different nights than having just 3-5 rotational spots in the setlist (that were 90% the same between cities anyway). I can understand why they ditched it, but what I refuse to accept is that they still wanted to present night1 and night2 as "two totally different experiences"............. really!?
    I think that was one of they things that sounds great in theory but putting it into reality was never going to be achievable for the band. The only way they could have realistically played quite different nights would have been to wait until both albums were released and then tried it and even then I think it would have been more like half a Setlist changed than the complete Setlist, maybe innocence songs out for experience songs which is about 7 changes and 3 or 4 others just to fit the themes of innocence and experience. They were never going to play a completely different Setlist from one night to the next and introduce 5 or 6 never released songs in the one show.
  5. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think that was one of they things that sounds great in theory but putting it into reality was never going to be achievable for the band. The only way they could have realistically played quite different nights would have been to wait until both albums were released and then tried it and even then I think it would have been more like half a Setlist changed than the complete Setlist, maybe innocence songs out for experience songs which is about 7 changes and 3 or 4 others just to fit the themes of innocence and experience. They were never going to play a completely different Setlist from one night to the next and introduce 5 or 6 never released songs in the one show.
    Also 90% of the audience only see a tour once so changing the set list dramatically from night one to night two doesn't make sense and then some fans would be moaning saying they got short changed if they got experience instead of Innocence and it could have lead to an imbalance of ticket sales depending on fans preferences .The band were probably intent on presenting 2 different set lists but Arthur Fogel in Live Nation probably talked them out of it.
  6. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    Also 90% of the audience only see a tour once so changing the set list dramatically from night one to night two doesn't make sense and then some fans would be moaning saying they got short changed if they got experience instead of Innocence and it could have lead to an imbalance of ticket sales depending on fans preferences .The band were probably intent on presenting 2 different set lists but Arthur Fogel in Live Nation probably talked them out of it.
    I doubt Mr Fogel ever knew about their idea of doing 2 completely different shows - let alone talked them outta it. Moreover, most IE shows sold out instantly so this whole argument makes no sense.
  7. Originally posted by germcevoy:Two complete run through of SOI this week. Hmmm. Must check my temperature.

Miracle goes on for a minute longer than is necessary for a punch opener and Volcano is still terrible. Oddly these are my only two real complaints as if this week. Hmnnn indeed.
    Volcano is absolutely shameful even if you get over (or forget) the fact that it's auto-plagiarism.

But wow, 2 runs of SOI in a week, that's something. Ready to call yourself a fan again or is it too soon yet?
  8. Volcano has really grown on me over the last year it’s had the benefit of being on an album I love so I’ve really gave it a chance. I think it’s the opening lyrics that really get me into the mood for it,

‘The World is spinning fast tonight, you can hurt yourself trying to hold on, to what you used to be, I’m so glad the past is all gone’
    (Even though that last line sounds like ‘i’m So glad the pasta’s all gone’ lol).

I think that’s great lyrics.

Even the 2nd verse is great as well. Admittedly the pre chorus, chorus and bridge lyrics aren’t exactly inspiring but with the tune it works for me. I’m definitely bias though towards anything SOI. The Miracle as well I was most fed up with in the first year after SOI release but I’ve grown to really like it again. Sleep like a baby tonight has been up and down in my estimations but I think it’s firmly in the good category for me now. The rest of the album I just love.
  9. Genuinely cracked me up I'll never listen to Volcano in the same way again!

(or maybe I'll just never listen to Volcano again... period )
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Volcano is absolutely shameful even if you get over (or forget) the fact that it's auto-plagiarism.

But wow, 2 runs of SOI in a week, that's something. Ready to call yourself a fan again or is it too soon yet?
    Milan and Brussels are back on rotation. Must be a good sign.
  11. Do you ever think about how the later albums would sound if they limited the production time to less than a year? I mean everything after Zooropa. Even the lyrics I sometimes feel are over-worked and over- wrought when i would like to have heard what they had before it went through 10 different producers.
    Just a thought.