1. QUEEN

2. Same thought here and, to say the truth, there's no band to compare with U2 in all the aspects. U2 is very unique in so many things, so I believe we can compare just some characteristics of the bands.
  3. the obviuos answer is none (my vote) considering U2 in the whole
    regarding musical (not to be understood strictly), experimental, social - The Beatles
    live skill in dragging oceans of crowd - Queen

chris martin could have written Killing Bono .. but he failed even in that

4. at the age coldplay have U2 did something like Unforgettable .. Joshua .. Achtung..

5. Don't get me wrong I love Coldplay!! But what you've just said is what makes U2 THAT much better than Coldplay imo...
  6. absolutely!!

7. Seriously??

1970 - 1991. Not long enough?
    I agree it was tragically cut short, but they had a fair crack of the whip.

No-one compares to the Beatles IMO so this choice was out. Stones, Zep, Floyd and Queen are all, essentially, extinct bands so it's hard to compare (in terms of impact, longevity we are yet to find out how U2 are viewed once they stop being an active force). I too hope that they don't become touring tribute acts to themselves like the Stones have (and Queen in a way too...).

Coldplay have been around 10 years so equivalent of Boy - just before Achtung and certainly are the closest in style and current domination. But the industry is so different now that I find it hard to compare.

So I went for none as I'm not sure anyone compares to U2.
  8. I think this is rather poorly constructed. There is no telling whether you're referring to compare in terms of likeness (similarity), or compare in terms of liking (greatness/quality).

Pink Floyd by far if we're talking quality, but I really don't know about likeness...

Interesting poll, nevertheless!
  9. Holy crap, carl, you haven't been around in ages!
  10. Now THIS is an interesting debate. And a pretty tough one at that.

It's so tough to choose because I think the only bands among the list that I can even remotley compare with U2, not just in terms of musical innovations but in cultural relevence and impact are Pink Floyd and The Beatles.

I WAS gonna go with The Beatles as the most comparable band but taking the innovations and relevence into account, I realized that Pink Floyd had as much influence and innovations as The Beatles AND U2. But that was AFTER I made my vote for The Beatles.

I know I can't take back my vote but if I could re-vote, I'd pick None of the Above - 'cause I feel both The Beatles and Pink Floyd are most compareable to U2.... although none of them rocks my world like U2 can.
  11. I feel the question is way too open ended, which is actually awesome because it reveals how different people compare bands.

My answer is "none" for several reasons.

The first is that the only other band I know enough about to actually make a comparison is Coldplay. I know some things about the other bands, but when it comes down to it, I never really listened to them much/not my style. Coldplay is the only other band in this list I enjoy listening to.

From a musical standpoint, Coldplay was nothing like U2 up until MX, which feels very much like a U2 album at times. The two bands bring very contrasting live acts to the table, but both excel on the stage.

When looking at the two outside of their roles as musicians, it's clear that no band can be compared to U2. I'd like to find any other group of 4 rockers that are more involved in human rights and social justice than the members of U2. In fact, as far as musicians go, no well known band past or present (and probably future) even comes close to U2 when it comes to involvement in social justice. For that reason alone, no band on earth can be compared to U2 because no band has the resume U2 has both on and off the stage.
  12. I agree most with Dan's post. Coldplay are close, not saying they sound the same or act the same way, but they have similar impact as what U2 had, and their work with Eno makes them even more similar. They started working with Eno just about the same time U2 started working with him in their career.
    But for me as well, it's going to be none, because no band can be closely compared to U2.