1. Probably 2 or 3.

I was born in 1986.

One of my earliest memories is watching Rattle And Hum on HBO (must have been 1989, it was in theaters November 4th 1988) with my parents and taping it on VHS, then wearing out the cassette tape.

There was not much to my life story before then but I haven't been the same since

I've also converted more people with the 2nd half of Rattle & Hum (Bad to the end) than with anything else.
  2. Originally posted by Ali709:What's with this band and the age 14?! I was 14 too, went to the cinema and watched Gangs of New York...guess what happened next?

14 for me as well - though my 14 is a lot earlier than most of you, 1980.
  3. 13/14, loved Beautiful Day when I was around 8 or something but never really listened to more of U2.
    Then How To Dismantle came out and I loved Vertigo, my parents took me to the first show in the ArenA and that got me hooked.

Started listening to some more songs, but the Boston DVD really made me a fan, the first time I saw Bad/Streets was amazing. After that I listened to more and more songs, U2Start came into my life and now I listend to U2 everyday
  4. 14 here as well. The release of Achtung Baby! I thank my cousin Erin for getting me into this band. At a time when I was buying C and C Music Factory and Vanilla Ice she was purchasing R.E.M. and U2. I was at her house one weekend and we listened to Achtung Baby! continually. Was weird going out to get their back catalog with albums like Rattle and Hum and The Unforgettable because I remember thinking that this couldn't be the same band who released Achtung Baby! A fan since '91!! Now I have two (2) children who I am trying to get into listening to U2.
  5. I was 15 when I saw U2 at Live Aid (on tv, not at Wembley unfortunately). I had a mate who was into them and remember him playing New Year's Day as the clock struck midnight to start 1985 (it was his party, so he was in charge!).
    I didn't really listen to much of their stuff until I was blown away by THE set of all sets (even though it was only 2 songs), and when I saw The Unforgettable Fire video played later on tv, I was hooked!
    Been a fan ever since (my first ever record - remember them? - was 12" Wide Awake In America) ...
  6. 17 for me. I became a fan just as the hype for NLOTH was building up.
  7. I was 18 when I first heard the opening riffs of "I Will Follow" on the radio - hooked for life!

Since then, I have seen shows from every tour since War covering 8 US states plus a 360 show at Croke Park!
  8. Great experiences everyone, keep them coming
  9. I was 12, I used to listen to the radio at night before bed and listen to the top 40,
    and I always found U2's music always pleasant like from a different world the music stood out from the rest and was really heartwarming and really touched the soul.
    I realised I like Bono at that age too but was not overly fussed but admitted he was some man,
    I was seeing my brother or friend off by the front door while someone left the tv on and mtv hits was playing a u2 hit,
    and there I was mesmorised by the music and who was standing their in a brown vest but Bono,
    strange thing is, is that I thought or am certain it was Where the streets have no name but I can only find the roof top recording, is there any other video's of bono in a brown vest,
    long hair down and looking down towards his left, anyone know if there is a video or was I mesmorised by something live ?
  10. it was spring 1983 and i'm born at the end of 1968 (sigh) .. do the count
    jeez i'm close to the 30th anniversary and War too .. which is much more important hehe
  11. Originally posted by Buttons:I was 12, I used to listen to the radio at night before bed and listen to the top 40,
    and I always found U2's music always pleasant like from a different world the music stood out from the rest and was really heartwarming and really touched the soul.
    I realised I like Bono at that age too but was not overly fussed but admitted he was some man,
    I was seeing my brother or friend off by the front door while someone left the tv on and mtv hits was playing a u2 hit,
    and there I was mesmorised by the music and who was standing their in a brown vest but Bono,
    strange thing is, is that I thought or am certain it was Where the streets have no name but I can only find the roof top recording, is there any other video's of bono in a brown vest,
    long hair down and looking down towards his left, anyone know if there is a video or was I mesmorised by something live ?

Its wasn't live bc of the camera affects, it definately was a made music video
  12. 5 years old just as All That You Can't Leave Behind was released. Same time as my brother and he was 12 at the time.

Didn't even pay attention to Beautiful Day getting played on the radio continuously. Obviously my music taste was shit at the time, I was only 5. I liked pop stuff which I cringe at every time I remember. It was when I listened to the album, I really got into it. I remember Elevation being a standout. Then after that, me and my brother started buying albums, DVDs and singles. My mum even contributed too. She now hates U2 because me and my brother collectively played them so much.

What helped even more was that my brother asked my dad if he had any U2. The Joshua Tree was sitting on cassette in a drawer. That was great to listen to and just got us into U2 even more. Thinking back, it's what got my brother obsessed with Ireland. He wants to live there and walk there, just like Sergio wants to do. All because of U2, really, yet he loves the country. Admittedly it's a beautiful country.

I remember trying to go to Bono's house. I vaguely recall it being this massive pink home with a huge pathway to the entrance with many gates blocking it. It's when you get off the Dart, you can use a back entrance, I think? Anyway, there was a dead cat on the pathway, so we turned around. When in Ireland in 2002, we bought the rest of their albums. Spent a week driving listening to U2. Ah, bliss. I wish I could do that again sometime.