1. Yeah, he doesn't go on to explain "you talk at me", that's my problem with little Things.
  2. Don't get me wrong, I do care about lyrics, but... I do care when they are something like "stand up for your love!" (which makes me think of the pointer sisters), and I feel it's embarrassing to be singing them outloud.

The lyrics they've shared on the recent RS interviews sound lazy to me, but not really embarrassing, that's why I don't care too much. It's not a new problem, either (we're not getting any "fill that god-shape hole" or "under a black belly of cloud in the rain" anymore)
  3. That line in Little Things is perfect. People dont use pefect English
  4. It seems my point wasn't clear enough, but I can't be arsed to rephrase such a long post To each their own. I'm just saying that if SOE isn't the cup of tea of many fans -and believe me, in over 10 years reading thousands of fan opinions daily, I never saw such disregard for U2's new material as I've seen with The Best Thing, not EVEN Get On Your Boots!- it might be the end.

That, plus the "farewell signals" we've been getting... Well, that's it.
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:It seems my point wasn't clear enough, but I can't be arsed to rephrase such a long post To each their own. I'm just saying that if SOE isn't the cup of tea of many fans -and believe me, in over 10 years reading thousands of fan opinions daily, I never saw such disregard for U2's new material as I've seen with The Best Thing, not EVEN Get On Your Boots!- it might be the end.

I seem to recall there was a "honeymoon" period of GOYB when it was released. Just read the first pages of the GOYB thread and people were very enthusiastic about it. Now... not so much.
    Best Thing never had a honeymoon period.
    Also, say what you want about GOYB and Miracle, those songs were much better live. Best Thing live is not even near the -insert your favorite mix here- and that's not even a compliment to the mixes.
  6. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    I seem to recall there was a "honeymoon" period of GOYB when it was released. Just read the first pages of the GOYB thread and people were very enthusiastic about it. Now... not so much.
    Also, say what you want about GOYB and Miracle, those songs were much better live. Best Thing live is not even near the -insert your favorite mix here- and that's not even a compliment to the mixes.

Guilty, your honour.

And agreed with the rest of your post, too.
  7. Boots did receive generally favourable reviews in 2009, myself included.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:It seems my point wasn't clear enough, but I can't be arsed to rephrase such a long post To each their own. I'm just saying that if SOE isn't the cup of tea of many fans -and believe me, in over 10 years reading thousands of fan opinions daily, I never saw such disregard for U2's new material as I've seen with The Best Thing, not EVEN Get On Your Boots!- it might be the end.

Yeah I think so too. If it is they gave us alot. Once the creativity "well" dries up thats it. The new album sounds good so far, but its no where near their best stuff.
  9. Also look at the age and lifestyle. Almost 60, smokes occasionally, drinks alot, travels all the time (sitting), not alot of sleep, probably only exercises if time permits. Any normal person would have dropped dead or had a heart attack with that schedule.
  10. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Agreed about the "honeymoon" period of GOYB. After barely missing the Vertigo Tour since becoming a fan after Bomb, I was starving for new U2 material and will never forget hearing Boots for the first time and how excited I was...and then eventually realizing, "this is not a good song."

I'm not sure about Boots becoming better live, either, though. I know the band has said that's what "saved" the song for them after realizing what a horrible choice for first single it was, but for me, it was easily the weakest song (after the Crazy Remix and Walk On with creepy masks... ) of the 360 set. Sure it had energy, but seeing it live I was actually always glad when it was over. Just kind of an embarrassing, weird rip-off of Vertigo.

I think Best Thing will sound great live next year on tour after they've had several months of rehearsals to keep working on it. Miracle sounded great opening I & E for the same reason, I think (and it's just a better song than Boots).
  11. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    Exactly, GOYB was generally well received, probably due to the fact that we were starving for anything U2-related after the long post-Honolulu wait. They could have released a 4 minute compilation of Larry snoozing and we would have liked it.

The Best Thing, on the other hand, has been strongly disliked by a big, big portion of the fanbase since minute 1.

Hence my argumentation and my fear.
  12. If it helps your apparent collective disappointment, I thought The Miracle of Joey Ramone was dreadful so Little Things is better than that IMHO !

...but then what do I know, I like Elevation, Walk On, Boots, Lemon, Unknown Caller & don't like Beautiful Day which is against the prevailing view here