1. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    bingo boingo bango

But just to re-iterate, I think people would like this album more if it was called something different, and if the weight of "a sequel" wasn't on its shoulders. That being said, I love the "coda" or whatever of Lights of Home and how it calls back to Iris as if to remember those wise words on the verge of questioning faith and mortality etc.

I said a long time ago (not to toot my own horn) that if U2 really wanted to put out something great, I think they'd have to split the fanbase. The greatness factor will always be up for debate, but this album has certainly split this fanbase. That being said, I'd MUCH rather have the discussions we're having now to all of us agreeing that a new U2 album is "fine". That's how I remember everyone feeling about SoI after a month.

Those of us old enough to remember, AB split the fanbase, as well. Until the doubters came around to it's brilliance...
  2. Originally posted by gurtholfin:[..]

Agreed with all of that and especially the last sentence.

This album really doesn't go with SOI in any way that I can tell nor does it seem to be a collection of experiences or thoughts born from experience.

The reuse of lyrics and the children on the cover doesn't go with SOI at all? What about the near death EXPERIENCE?

I'm not being rude here just genuinely interested in what you would have wanted to tie them together?

I would agree that it would have been nice to have had the same group of producers at least? I guess it would have been better for U2 not to have announced SOE the day SOI came out unless they truly had both albums ready.

In my mind at the time I thought that maybe SOI was free because they had been gone for so long and that SOE would be released before the tour. That would have also went with the initial two night idea for the tour as well.

Previous examples of "sequel" albums I can think of would be JAY-Z's blueprint series and I never really understood that either despite the fact that he worked with many (if not all) the same producers. Justin Timberlake released The 20/20 Experience 1 & 2 within the same calendar year and these songs seemed to be recorded at the same time despite Part 2 being a bit "darker."

I wonder what the initial SOE might have sounded like, what songs are still there and what ones are brand new?
  3. I came around.
    Many never came back.
    It's very easy to find "they were great in the 80's, though" comments everywhere.
  4. I run into them all the time, no kidding.
  5. I deliberately put off buying this album for a while as the singles were doing nothing for me, i finally caved in to my own pressure and went ahead and bought it, TBH im still not sure, there is some ok songs but they are far from brilliant. Would i put this in my top 5 albums? No, i just think the material they are producing these days is not up to scratch. My personal view would be to see them do the decent thing and call it a day and quit while they are ahead. It would be sad to see, as i have been a fan for over 30yrs and seen them live many times, but i just feel the passion isnt there anymore to make good music.
  6. U2 wrote Miami
  7. Originally posted by electricwar1:I deliberately put off buying this album for a while as the singles were doing nothing for me, i finally caved in to my own pressure and went ahead and bought it, TBH im still not sure, there is some ok songs but they are far from brilliant. Would i put this in my top 5 albums? No, i just think the material they are producing these days is not up to scratch. My personal view would be to see them do the decent thing and call it a day and quit while they are ahead. It would be sad to see, as i have been a fan for over 30yrs and seen them live many times, but i just feel the passion isnt there anymore to make good music.
  8. Originally posted by electricwar1:I deliberately put off buying this album for a while as the singles were doing nothing for me, i finally caved in to my own pressure and went ahead and bought it, TBH im still not sure, there is some ok songs but they are far from brilliant. Would i put this in my top 5 albums? No, i just think the material they are producing these days is not up to scratch. My personal view would be to see them do the decent thing and call it a day and quit while they are ahead. It would be sad to see, as i have been a fan for over 30yrs and seen them live many times, but i just feel the passion isnt there anymore to make good music.
    I’m not a fan of this album at all but I’d never rather them call it a day. I’m sure they feel this is a great album and put a lot if passion and effort into it. It’s inevitable that not every release will connect with the entire fan base.
  9. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:[..]
    I’m not a fan of this album at all but I’d never rather them call it a day. I’m sure they feel this is a great album and put a lot if passion and effort into it. It’s inevitable that not every release will connect with the entire fan base.
    As long as they continue to feel like they did a good job.

I just hate this PR style they have where they sort of shit on the previous album when doing rounds for the new one.