1. Originally posted by Blue_Room

OK, so if there is a very good to excellent audience recording of a particular show. You would take that over a very good to excellent soundboard of the same show. Interesting information, good to know!

Here all of we have to differenciate what we consider an excellent soundboard.
    You maybe consider an ExSbd a show with no audience (East Rutherford 13-8-'92, TelAviv 30-9-'97), but I don't. I think a soundboard is better with audience, like Dublin 31-12-'89 or Dublin 28-8-'93.
    What you consider a Excellent soundboard?
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]

You maybe consider an ExSbd a show with no audience (East Rutherford 13-8-'92, TelAviv 30-9-'97), but I don't. I think a soundboard is better with audience, like Dublin 31-12-'89 or Dublin 28-8-'93.

Radio broadcasts are still the best soundboards because of the inclusion of (sometimes minimal) crowd noise! Earpiece recordings and such don't have crowd noise which is too bad.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]

East Rutherford is not a good soundboard, that is a ridiculous example. The one floating around is about 6th generation off the pro shot. Of course its going to sound like crap. Go about 5 or 6 generations down with any audience recording and you would have complete crap. Tel Aviv is not a true board recording either. I would consider it a soundboard sort of, but not the typical board recording due to how it was obtained and the mix that was plugged into. Which was not the full board mix. Listen to the NY October 25th Elevation soundboard. That is about perfect IMO. That is off a proshot and is pretty much a direct soundboard. I also prefer the 1st generation upgrade of the Syracuse 87 board off the pro shot to most Joshua Tree recordings as well. But the best is Denver 87, no crowd on that or minimal, another direct board off a pro shot which I would regard as probably the best recording of Joshua Tree. Also, the 2nd gen of Adelaide 93 is outstanding (most of the versions circulating are about 4th gen), no crowd on that at all. You hear things on Dirty Day that Edge is doing you would never hear on an audience boot. Do I need to keep going? Because I could. Like I said, each their own. I dont have a problem with people wanting audience stuff over soundboards. What I have a problem with is people losing their minds when they think someone has a board recording that hasnt surfaced. Why do people care if audience stuff is all people want? There are very good to excellent recordings of most shows from the last 2 or 3 tours. So there is no reason for people to go off if what most are saying on this thread is true.

Its sort of funny the April 87 Chicago show gets listed. Audience isnt very prevelent on that one. Why do people like it so much? Because it sounds similiar to a soundboard! I have even seen people list it as a soundboard. Difference being that show sounds like Bono's vocals were recorded through a hollow tube. Whereas a board recording they would come through clearly. Dont get me wrong, its a very good recording especially considering the gear used. But I would prefer crystal clear vocals if I was given the choice.

But here is a test that I'm pretty sure would be true. Put up a soundboard recording of a new show and then an audience of the same on a torrent or even here. Which do you think gets downloaded more by a landslide? I think you know the answer. I have seen it put to the test with another band. What about if the band did official bootlegs which would be board recordings? Do you think people would be very interested on the whole in the audience recordings at that point? THere would be a few, but most wouldnt care any longer. I have seen it happen with the fans of other bands that went this route.

My view is I want to hear the band play, not the crowd scream like I said. I think their are people here trying to fool themselves on this thread though. Simply because the actions over the years of many speak very differently.

I think I'm done. I should probably stay out of here. LOL I think I piss some of you off and I'm not trying to. I dont download, but I like looking at the forums sometimes. I will leave you guys alone. Enjoy your audience recordings. I have no problem with them, I just dont prefer them by any means. Like I said before, I guess its just me.
  4. I dont know anything about generations, when people talk about "Oh, yeah that's 1st gen., but...". I feel absolutely lost. I rate soundboards like I said yesterday, if they have or not audience.
    Thanks or the info, anyway. Dont get angry , you prefer hearing just U2, I prefer hearing the band plus the great reactions of the crowd!
  5. Vertigo Tour, Gothenburg – 2005-07-29

Insane gig! If you haven't listened to it already, I highly recommend you do.

No low points (at all – really!), but full of highlights:

I Will Follow (the very best version I've heard)
    The Electric Co (the very best version I've heard)
    All I Want Is You (featuring the only If You Wear that Velvet Dress snippet ever)
    City of Blinding Lights (the very best version I've heard)
    Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own (the very best version I've heard)
    Bullet the Blue Sky (one of the best versions I've heard)
    Miss Sarajevo (one of the best versions I've heard)
    Zoo Station (one of the best versions I've heard on Vertigo Tour)
    The Fly (featuring the only Billy Boola snippet ever)
    All Because of You (the very best version I've heard)
    Second Vertigo (the very best version I've heard – featuring rare Rockaway Beach snippet)
  6. Originally posted by carlibengarli:Vertigo Tour, Gothenburg – 2005-07-29

All I Want Is You (featuring the only If You Wear that Velvet Dress snippet ever)
    Second Vertigo (the very best version I've heard – featuring rare Rockaway Beach snippet)

I heard from fans who were at this show that this was one of the worst gigs of U2 ever.
  7. Originally posted by carlibengarli:Vertigo Tour, Gothenburg – 2005-07-29

Average Vertigo performance.

8. I'd like to see someone try and motivate that, lol.
  9. Recently?

10. I downloaded the lossless recently as I remembered the recording was quite good. Gave it a go but just filed it under 'run of the mill Vertigo' (ie recycle bin)