1. Originally posted by colbourne25:This was the first U2 CD that i ever bought... due to the fact i loved the single Vertigo so much... So it has some sentimental value to me honestly though I think it is a very good album... but to answer the question no i don't think the album is overrated here's my rating

1. Vertigo 9/10 - Killer guitar riff and the first song that got me into the band.
    2. Miracle Drug 10/10 - Best song on the album hands down
    3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own 9/10 - Only thing that stops this from getting a 10 is that when Bono hits the high note "SIIIIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG" you can hardly hear his voice it just blends into the sound. Thats why i rate the live version better vocallly but not intrumentally.
    4. Love and Peace or Else - 8/10
    5. City of Blinding Lights 9/10
    6. All Because of You 5/10 - I can see why they chose this as a single but it makes me cringe... Best part of the song is the bridge.
    7. A Man and a Woman 3/10 - Worst song on the album
    8. Crumbs From Your Table - 8/10 - Very underrated U2 song. Should've been given a bit more of a chance to shine on the Vertigo Tour.
    9. One Step Closer - 6/10 - Neutral on this song. It's never really done it for me...
    10. Original of the Species - 9/10 - Amazing song!!
    11. Yahweh 8/10 - Another song that i believe is underrated. Great closer to the album i feel

Overall 7.6/10
    This song-by-song assessment pretty accurately reflects my own views on the album, except I would rate "All Because of You" higher. I always liked the guitar riff on that song as well as the overall Who vibe since I've always loved The Who, as U2 clear does.
  2. Underrated? Maybe some tracks but the overrated songs are cleary Vertigo and COBL , maybe it's time for those songs to take a break and become a played occasionally, not permanent on all setlist. OSC, OOTS, yahweh, and MAW need to be featured on the setlist from time to time. My opinion though
  3. I haven't heard the record in full since 2009. I'm going to pop in right now and give it another listen.
  4. I think the band missed a chance with rotating Miracle Drug with COBL this tour. MD was one of the best songs on the Vertigo Tour, in my opinion, and COBL is a great track but it's never really been quite the same after being used as a wonderful show opener on the Vertigo Tour - although the post-Paris attack versions on this tour have been really special.

As for Vertigo securing its place in the setlist, I have no problem with it. I think Streets is the only live track that should NEVER miss a tour gig, but for now I'd say that Beautiful Day and Vertigo deserve a permanent spot on the setlist - they are the iconic U2 songs of the past 20 years, just as One didn't miss a gig until this tour. I'm all for setlist rotation, but I'm also of a mind that at least a few big hits should remain permanent fixtures for a while. It was, in my opinion, One's time to become a fairly-regular-but-not-always song; Beautiful Day and Vertigo should remain permanent features of every gig for now.
  5. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:I think the band missed a chance with rotating Miracle Drug with COBL this tour. MD was one of the best songs on the Vertigo Tour, in my opinion, and COBL is a great track but it's never really been quite the same after being used as a wonderful show opener on the Vertigo Tour - although the post-Paris attack versions on this tour have been really special.

As for Vertigo securing its place in the setlist, I have no problem with it. I think Streets is the only live track that should NEVER miss a tour gig, but for now I'd say that Beautiful Day and Vertigo deserve a permanent spot on the setlist - they are the iconic U2 songs of the past 20 years, just as One didn't miss a gig until this tour. I'm all for setlist rotation, but I'm also of a mind that at least a few big hits should remain permanent fixtures for a while. It was, in my opinion, One's time to become a fairly-regular-but-not-always song; Beautiful Day and Vertigo should remain permanent features of every gig for now.
    A little OT but;

Beautiful Day should just be earlier in the set in my opinion.

Bono doesn't do it justice half the time if it's the penultimate song.
  6. Vertigo really "goes off" live and gets the crowd going nuts, which I'm sure has a lot to do with why they play it so regularly. The combination of Vertigo and I Will Follow really gets the audience jumping up and down! I should have listed those two in the great song sequences thread!
  7. I always liked the album. I tking Vertigo really deserves the frequency it has been performed with. Original Of The Species is one of my all time favourites. We had it played at our wedding 10 years ago. Crumbs are great, so is Yahweh. Miracle Drug is also a beautiful song. I never got much into Love And Peace and A Man and a Woman, also never understood why COBL has been played to death, but that doesn't prevet me from playing and really enjoying the album. As I said, I have lways liked it a lot, eventhough I am an Achtung-Pop-ATYCLB person
  8. I've been thinking about One Step Closer lately... it's always been my least favourite on the album but I've been feeling a lot more attached to it lately. I really wish it had been played after Bullet on the i+e tour, I really liked how the rehearsal sounded.

Also... I hear there was a 15-minute studio recording of it, oh the things I would do to have that surface online...
  9. I don't think it is underrated. Only because it received very good critical and commercial acclaim so there's not much negativity surrounding it. When I heard it though I remember being a little disappointed compared to atyclb but now I think it provides genuine competition, definitely a grower. In terms of underrated though I would have to say zooropa and pop are massively underrated.
  10. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:I've been thinking about One Step Closer lately... it's always been my least favourite on the album but I've been feeling a lot more attached to it lately. I really wish it had been played after Bullet on the i+e tour, I really liked how the rehearsal sounded.

Also... I hear there was a 15-minute studio recording of it, oh the things I would do to have that surface online...
    +1, I tried to search for it at one point, because you never know...
    It would be a cool find. Maybe it'll be on a deluxe edition. One can dream, right?
  11. Originally posted by thefly108:[..]
    +1, I tried to search for it at one point, because you never know...
    It would be a cool find. Maybe it'll be on a deluxe edition. One can dream, right?
    Let me know if ever you find anything

And yeah... there's always waiting for 2024 and an anniversary edition...
  12. I just realized an important fact that I want to be known:

If Bomb had the leaked version of Mercy on it (in good quality, obviously) it'd probably be like top 3 U2 albums for me.

Yes, that song alone would propel it into the heavens where only JT and AB reside (in my book).