1. You'll be the first to know

it'd also be cool to get another Medium, Rare and Remastered-type compilation.
  2. Agreed - MR&R/Unreleased and Rare had some really solid tracks on it.

I especially like the alternate version of All Because of You, more than the album take. Xanax and Wine is so much better than Fast Cars I can't believe it. Why oh why didn't they use that instead...
  3. This post was started by me, 5 years ago. I rated the album 12 years ago and still do. I love the fact that they received all the accolades they did for it. As with so many U2 albums, there are a couple of week tracks on there, but overall - I think its a cracker of a release. Its not up there with Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree, but neither is it an October or NLOTH either. They were so hungry for continued success on its release, they even played live on kids Saturday morning TV here in the UK. Is it a classic? No. Is it a stinker? No. Is it underrated? Defiantly!
  4. 3/4 Classic, If you bought the 1 with Fast Cars! I'd have to rate Pop as 2/3 classic, some Amazing tunes with some throw-away. To this day, I'm still waiting for a live performance of Playboy Mansion.
  5. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Agreed - MR&R/Unreleased and Rare had some really solid tracks on it.

I especially like the alternate version of All Because of You, more than the album take. Xanax and Wine is so much better than Fast Cars I can't believe it. Why oh why didn't they use that instead...
    Plus a thousand.
  6. This album has a special place for me because it really made me a U2 fan back in 2004-2005. Vertigo, MD, Sometimes, COBL, OOTS, and Yahweh were instant standouts and continue to be so. A Man and a Woman and One Step Closer have grown on me immensely in recent years, too. And from time to time I also enjoy LAPOE, ABOY, and Crumbs...They still sound just average to me musically but I really appreciate the biblical allusions in the lyrics.

I've mentioned this before, but I think they could have done a much better track listing. I never liked how the album seems to grind to a halt after Vertigo, with MD and Sometimes coming next. Even though I acknowledged these as standouts to me, the flow of the album could be better I think.

Compared to the rest of their albums that I since have discovered, it overall rates in the bottom half...but it's still a solid album that will always have special value to me now.
  7. Not sure if you can say that an album with 9 Grammys could be underrated.

My take on it:

This is probably the best Edge album. Achtung is more creative and experimental, and Joshua is more defining, but A-Bomb is his best "guitar hero" album.
    And everyone else was in top form too. Bono's lyrics were way better than 3 years before, for instance.
    ...sadly whatever they did got buried under a couple of redundant layers of post production and an eagerness to make a successful album (the annoying "being relevant").

For instance, Sometimes You Can't Make it, Miracle Drug, Original of the Species... those songs are absolutely amazing, but the obsession with giving the songs a more friendly structure, something more acceptable by the masses, makes them -in my eyes- blur between each other, and a bit indistinguishable from one to the other.

The album's greatness is buried under the overly sweet frosting. The frosting worked though, and the album was considered a success; but that frosting also was the first clear sign for many people that they have had enough of U2 (when 5 years later they bring even more of that frosting with Boots, people weren't interested anymore).

So... no, it's not underrated because it was a great success. But YES, it is underrated because way too often the people focus on the frosting and ignores the greatness of the album below it.

---

(and just because I love doing this, here's my reordered tracklist :

1- City of Blinding Lights
    2- Vertigo
    3- Sometimes You Can't Make It
    4- Love Peace or Else
    5- Original of the Species
    6- A Man and a Woman
    7- All Because of You
    8- Miracle Drug
    9- Crumbs From Your Table
    10- One Step Closer
    11- Yahweh

(Basically 3 things:
    a) Opening with COBL - Vertigo, which imho works better this way
    b) Separating Miracle Drug from SYCMI, which I don't like them together, like I said, they seem to blend into one long song, and
    c) Bringing OOTS more upfront)
  8. Re-discovered this record last weekend. Vertigo is so awesome
  9. I get how you can re-discorer the album.
    I don't understand how you re-discover Vertigo

10. Maybe rediscover the album version of Vertigo?

Crumbs from Your Table is probably one of the most underrated songs on the album, if you ask me.
  11. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

Maybe rediscover the album version of Vertigo?

Crumbs from Your Table is probably one of the most underrated songs on the album, if you ask me.
    If only they'd included Are You Gonna Wait Forever...

12. Is very nice to re discover albums ...i didn t listen to U2 album for years ( because i listened live shows everyday) , and when i started to re listen to them , i loved it