1. Nice offer Sergio. DM'd you.
  2. Yes, taping local bands or other free events (even non-musical) is the way to go. Familirize with your gear & everything surrounding the act of taping way ahead of time so when the moment comes and The Whole Of The Moon starts blasting off the PA you can start recording in 3 seconds without the slightest trace of doubt. I've also made the mistake of going to a concert with some new gear I wanted to try out without testing it first and it ended up being a disaster.

My personal nightmare are SD cards though, I've lost count of how many concerts I ended up not being able to photograph because the camera didn't have SD cards.
  3. Talking about storage - is 16gb internal memory enough for lets say a 2 hour show? Or is it recommend to always have a large SD card inserted?
  4. Originally posted by SJKamal:Talking about storage - is 16gb internal memory enough for lets say a 2 hour show? Or is it recommend to always have a large SD card inserted?
    More than enough.
  5. Originally posted by SJKamal:Talking about storage - is 16gb internal memory enough for lets say a 2 hour show? Or is it recommend to always have a large SD card inserted?
    I usually record in 24/96 wav, and around 2GB is around 1 hour of recording
  6. Originally posted by SJKamal:Talking about storage - is 16gb internal memory enough for lets say a 2 hour show? Or is it recommend to always have a large SD card inserted?

Yes, for a stereo 24/48 pull. But I'd still recommend having a 32gb chip in there. A bunch of recorders can record to both the internal + SD.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:Yes, taping local bands or other free events (even non-musical) is the way to go. Familirize with your gear & everything surrounding the act of taping way ahead of time so when the moment comes and The Whole Of The Moon starts blasting off the PA you can start recording in 3 seconds without the slightest trace of doubt. I've also made the mistake of going to a concert with some new gear I wanted to try out without testing it first and it ended up being a disaster.

I know one guy who got a recorder and some loaner mics. Did the process of setting up your gear at home, standing in front of the stereo, and considered himself good to go. Biggest concern was getting stuff past security, which he was able to do for his single U2 show. Got to seat...and the recorder wouldn't turn on. Fiddled with batteries and such. Gave up and just watched the show.

Turns out the HOLD button on the recorder was engaged. Complete failure of recording since didn't know the basics of the recorder.

Know your gear.
  8. One of my concerns is getting past security and actually working out how to mount the microphone to my hat so it doesn't fall off and so it isn't too noticeable to others.
  9. Are power supplies and battery boxes still needed for external mics?
  10. Originally posted by hoserama:[..]

I know one guy who got a recorder and some loaner mics. Did the process of setting up your gear at home, standing in front of the stereo, and considered himself good to go. Biggest concern was getting stuff past security, which he was able to do for his single U2 show. Got to seat...and the recorder wouldn't turn on. Fiddled with batteries and such. Gave up and just watched the show.

Turns out the HOLD button on the recorder was engaged. Complete failure of recording since didn't know the basics of the recorder.

Know your gear.
    I have some funny-not-funny stories with the Hold button too. Once I was caught by security while taping and they forced me to shut it down. Luckily I had two recorders so while I was being driven outside of the crowd I thought "nice, I will turn the other recorder on and start recording in my pocket, so I can "fake" the shutdown with this one". I did all the button pressing with my hands in my pocket: On, Intro, Rec, Rec again. I get to the guards room and I take the recorder out, only to find it wasn't recording at all because the Hold button was on. They didn't buy my explanation and ended up discovering the other recorder and forcing me to delete the file Luckily deleted files leave a binary trace so you can recover them from any given storage device, but it was a hassle - and obviously I lost the rest of the show. It 2as hilarious to listen back to the final part of the recording, though.