1. it's time to drop several songs, but I'm sceptical until we see the first couple of sets this tour
  2. I won't mind one, it's a good song. But if the guys wanna make me happy ............. Drowning Man !!!
  3. As much as One is a classic song, I'd rather see them try something less-played in its place. Instead of doing One -> Streets like they've been doing, I'd rather see them try something new and maybe even go back to Bullet -> Running to Stand Still -> Streets.

I dunno.
  4. Totally disagree.

1. I've never heard a bad version of One.

2. It still amazes me on a regular basis. The singalong at Glastonbury. Will "Hear us coming" be there. If it is, it's really strong. The bridge still grabs me many times. The music if perfect there and when you see the guys looking at each other, seeing them still enjoying it, knowing what it all means... Utter joy.
    To me, with Bad and Strees, it's a live song that 99% of other bands can only dream of.

3. The meaning for the band.
  5. I disagree. I think they've played it at every tour date since it was released and I hope that streak never ends.
  6. The band hasn't played a full show in almost FOUR YEARS and we are already asking them to drop songs!?!?!

No. Be happy that they are still performing (at a high level) and enjoy any and every song they play - especially the classics!!!
  7. I actually agree with this. You don't have to play ALL your hits nightly, make way for their extensive back catalogue. I think U2 are worried about the casual fan too much and that they will walk out of the venue claiming they'll never see U2 again because they didn't play the 'hits'. So what? U2 have tonnes of brilliant songs, it doesn't mean they have to play the hits all the time. That casual fan could see 'Last Night on Earth' live, for example, and think, 'bloody hell, that was the highlight of the show – I'm going to delve deeper into their music.'

Besides, 'One' has sort of grown old. Great song, no wonder it has become one of their biggest and most renowned songs, but it just bloated into tiresome territory. It's the same with 'Beautiful Day' for me, that needs dropped pronto.

What has happened here is that U2 have played relatively staple sets with maybe only or two changes every couple of shows if we're lucky and people are in a 'comfort zone'. U2 are all about the theatrics and stagecraft, I admit, but for this potentially being one of or maybe their final tour(s), I think they need to be ballsy.
  8. It needs stripped back. Reduce the overpowering organ and get back to the bass line driving the song. Kill the speeches as well.

Stripping back the song is a better idea. Maybe they could work it in the style of the 'Baby' version.
  9. The song is just lifeless now. So dreary and slow. Definitely needs a slight tweak. I am absolutely against them dropping it but it is a skipper for me in its current guise.
  10. I think reinventing it wouldn't hurt. Maybe play it in the middle of the set instead of towards the end. I still really like One. It's arguably the greatest song they've ever released. I agree with the speeches, and videos that were played before it definitely take away from the song. If Bono does a speech, I wouldn't mind him going back and explaining the song and how it basically saved them from splitting up, otherwise just play it and finish it. For the love of God, don't make us take out our cell phones again
  11. I'm glad we haven't gotten to the point where we are talking about U2 dropping Streets.

I do agree that One has been a staple to the set. I do agree that One tends to be the song I skip on many of my bootlegs. I also think that with U2 deploying an orchestra this tour, they will have a rare opportunity to completely reinvent One. A part of me wants to see them do this, but if they are just going to bring the song as it has always been, I might not be as interested.
  12. Originally posted by Release3:I think reinventing it wouldn't hurt. Maybe play it in the middle of the set instead of towards the end. I still really like One. It's arguably the greatest song they've ever released. I agree with the speeches, and videos that were played before it definitely take away from the song. If Bono does a speech, I wouldn't mind him going back and explaining the song and how it basically saved them from splitting up, otherwise just play it and finish it. For the love of God, don't make us take out our cell phones again
    Totally agree with the speech thingy. This song is about breaking up, about letting go and not letting go, about hurting and being hurt. Not about Africa or poverty. If there's a speech, please let it be about how One saved them as a band and not about anything else.