1. Basically, instead of trying to recreate a particular show's set Benjamin Button style, I'm trying to give an idea of what a random, pretty typical show from each tour would be like in this alt universe.

No Line On the Horizon (1981)

Singles:
    Get On Your Boots
    Magnificent

1981-1982: Horizon Tour

01 Magnificent
    The big hit of the new album, Magnificent works excellently as a show opener. Fans love it and it’s gotten a lot of critical praise.
    02 Volcano
    Having proven its meddle on the iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour, Volcano remains pretty common in Horizon Tour setlists.
    03 California (There Is No End To Love)
    While it was a mainstay of the previous tour, California has a spottier record on the Horizon Tour, although it makes more shows than it misses. Fans are always pleased when it appears.
    04 No Line On the Horizon
    The opening and titular song from the newest album, this one has been well-represented on the Horizon Tour so far, although it’s missed some shows.
    05 Breathe
    Considered by many to be one of the strongest songs of the new album, Breathe always energises the crowd. It hasn’t missed a show yet.
    06 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
    A classic from the previous tour, usually following the rousing Breathe in the set is another dose of energy from this track.
    07 Get On Your Boots
    The lead single of No Line On the Horizon, which met with mixed reviews from both fans and critics. At first it was a staple of shows on this tour, but by the end it’s started to miss more and more of them.
    08 Raised By Wolves/Psalm 23 [snippet]
    A regularly-played number from Songs of Innocence, Raised By Wolves remains one of U2’s high points live. Its fierce energy and righteous indignation at political turmoil are coming to characterise the band’s performances.
    09 I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
    After Raised By Wolves, the show calms down with this song from No Line On the Horizon. It’s proven popular, though many hardcore fans think it’s too light and poppy.
    10 Song For Someone
    Making every show of the last tour, Song For Someone keeps up its streak on the Horizon Tour, continuing the calmer songs near the end of the main set.
    11 Iris (Hold Me Close)
    Iris proved to be a classic live song on the last tour, so it has a permanent spot in the set. No one is complaining, though — it’s a beautiful tune and Bono often has the audience singing along ‘free yourself to be yourself, if only you could see yourself’ as it ends.
    12 Unknown Caller
    A bit of an oddity from No Line On the Horizon, met with mixed reviews on the album, it misses more shows than it makes, but The Edge really soars on guitar here and when it’s played, it can be a real highlight of the concert.
    13 Every Breaking Wave
    One of the best-received songs from the last album, Every Breaking Wave retains its piano format from the last tour, serving as an emotional closing number for the main set. Bono sometimes struggles with the high note at the ending, but when he hits it right, the payoff is spectacular.

[encore]

14 The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    The audience singalong standard of Songs of Innocence, The Miracle has made every show of this tour, usually opening the encore with its joyous ‘oh oh oh oh’s.
    15 Cedarwood Road
    Cedarwood Road doesn’t miss a show, after showing itself to be one of U2’s strongest songs in a live setting. It continues that legacy on this tour.
    16 Moment of Surrender
    Even harsh critics of No Line On the Horizon have a hard time saying anything bad about Moment of Surrender. A heartfelt, emotional song puts the show to a beautiful end.

Song Performances

iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour (1980-81)

The Miracle - 100%
    Every Breaking Wave - >95%
    California - 85%
    Song For Someone - 100%
    Iris - 100%
    Volcano - >95%
    Raised By Wolves - 100%
    Cedarwood Road - 100%
    Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - <5%
    This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - 90%
    The Troubles - 15%
    Lucifer's Hands - 70%
    The Crystal Ballroom - 90%

Horizon Tour (1981-82)

No Line On the Horizon - 75%
    Magnificent - 100%
    Moment of Surrender - 95%
    Unknown Caller - 45%
    I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - >95%
    Get On Your Boots - 70%
    Stand Up Comedy - >5%
    Breathe - 100%
    Cedars of Lebanon - >5%

The Miracle - 100%
    Every Breaking Wave - >95%
    California - 70%
    Song For Someone - 100%
    Iris - 100%
    Volcano - >95%
    Raised By Wolves - 100%
    Cedarwood Road - 100%
    This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - 100%
    The Crystal Ballroom - 10%
  2. I love where you're taking this, Palaeo...

---

In some alternative universe, people sings along the "free yourself to be yourself" like we sing "How long to sing this song" in this one, and Raised By Wolves is as big as SBS/NYD.

Which would be the most played song ever (our I Will Follow)? Cedarwood Road or The Miracle?
  3. Originally posted by Bloodraven:I love where you're taking this, Palaeo...

---

In some alternative universe, people sings along the "free yourself to be yourself" like we sing "How long to sing this song" in this one, and Raised By Wolves is as big as SBS/NYD.

Which would be the most played song ever (our I Will Follow)? Cedarwood Road or The Miracle?
    I think both of them will stay fairly common into the future, but I think Cedarwood Road becomes this universe's I Will Follow-type song... although in these early sets I'm using more as 11 O'Clock.

The Atomic Bomb Tour coming soon
  4. So can we choose our own singles from each album when we do this? I really feel like Cedarwood Road and Iris would have been the singles back then.
  5. Originally posted by kris_smith87:So can we choose our own singles from each album when we do this? I really feel like Cedarwood Road and Iris would have been the singles back then.
    There's more guidelines than rules in here... basically is just pretend that it's 1980 and the first album they're releasing is SOI... what would've happened?
  6. I just picked what I thought were good singles, so yeah!
  7. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (1983)

Singles:
    City of Blinding Lights
    Vertigo
    Love and Peace or Else (Continental Europe only)
    Yahweh (Germany only)

1982: Pre-Bomb Tour

01 The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    Returns to its position as show opener after being the encore opener for the vast majority of the last tour’s shows.
    02 Breathe
    One of the most popular tracks of the previous album/tour, Breathe is played early in the shows to continue to build on The Miracle’s rousing power.
    03 All Because of You
    U2 play this song from the upcoming album early in the set. While it has its critics, no one can deny that All Because of You is a really rocking song on stage. Many predict it will be released as a single.
    04 Get On Your Boots
    To many fans’ disappointment, Get On Your Boots is back after becoming increasingly uncommon at the end of the Horizon Tour. It alternates with the much better-liked Volcano; on rare occasions both are played, on even rarer occasions neither are.
    05 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
    One of U2’s premiere live songs, this energetic staple from their debut album rounds off the high-energy opening these shows have.
    06 Magnificent
    Probably the most iconic (though perhaps not the most popular, though it must be close) song from No Line On the Horizon and its accompanying tour, Magnificent continues the buoyancy of the show’s opening run of songs while slowing things down a bit. Fans always go crazy as its introductory throbs shake the venue.
    07 I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
    Allowing the band to become a little more intimate after the grand scale of the earlier songs, I’ll Go Crazy is an uplifting song used to transition to a more sombre part of the setlist.
    08 Song For Someone
    Widely considered a classic after its performances on the first two tours, Song For Someone remains solidly in the set, continuing the intimacy of the previous song.
    09 Raised By Wolves/Psalm 23 [snippet]
    With the mood slowed, it’s time for U2’s famous crusading song to shatter the calm. Bono’s desperate ‘comfort me’s at the end never fail to send a shiver down the spine.
    10 Love and Peace or Else
    From the Psalm 23 snippet comes a weird guitar noise and slowly building from it is another sneak peak of the soon-to-be-released album How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. U2 seem to be making a name for themselves with ‘big plea for peace’ songs, and this one looks like it could give Raised By Wolves a run for its money as their defining political statement… once they can get the hang of playing it.
    11 Cedars of Lebanon
    Played fewer than a half-dozen times on the last tour, everyone is surprised that this little oddity is back. The band use it to round off the set of political songs. Some — including many casual concertgoers — find it rather dull, but for a number of fans, this song is a true gem.
    12 Every Breaking Wave
    Keeping the piano arrangement, Every Breaking Wave is for many a highlight of the set.
    13 City of Blinding Lights
    Building slowly out of the calm of Every Breaking Wave, City of Blinding Lights is generally considered the highlight of the three new album songs on this tour. The crowd already love it, singing along at the top of their lungs, ‘oh you look so beautiful tonight!'
    14 Unknown Caller
    Like Cedars of Lebanon, this song has actually increased its presence in the setlist from the previous tour. Although it missed the beginning of the Pre-Bomb Tour, the band seem to have realised it works quite well as a link between the new song and the classic that closes the main set...
    15 Iris (Hold Me Close)
    Iris, one of U2’s most beloved songs. Its surging sound and poignant material always bring the audience alive, and they often sing along for several minutes afterward, until the encore starts.

[encore]

16 The Saints Are Coming
    A single released a few months ago, this is a cover of a song by The Skids released a few years ago. Despite its recent release it’s something of a rarity on this tour, but the audience seems to like its punk rock sound.
    17 Cedarwood Road
    Cedarwood Road, it never gets old. Causal and hardcore fans alike go wild as that unmistakable guitar comes to life, and they run their voices ragged singing the final lines with Bono.
    18 Moment of Surrender
    Considered by most to be the real highlight of the last tour, Moment of Surrender closes shows in a suitably epic, emotional fashion; often lasting more than eight or nine minutes, it’s easily U2’s longest live song.

Song Performances

Love and Peace or Else - 100%
    City of Blinding Lights - 100%
    All Because of You - 100%

The Saints Are Coming - 35%

Magnificent - 100%
    Moment of Surrender - 100%
    Unknown Caller - 65%
    I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - >95%
    Get On Your Boots - 50%
    Breathe - 90%
    Cedars of Lebanon - 25%

The Miracle - 100%
    Every Breaking Wave - 100%
    Song For Someone - 100%
    Iris - 100%
    Volcano - 50%
    Raised By Wolves - 100%
    Cedarwood Road - 100%
  8. 1983: Atomic Bomb Tour

01 The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    U2’s iconic show starter remains proudly in place.
    02 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
    Enlivening as ever, having this live hit early in the show gets things off to a really energetic start.
    03 Volcano
    The fans cheer; after having a hit-and-miss record on the pre-tour, Volcano hardly ever sits out a show on the tour proper. The shows on the Atomic Bomb Tour have a certain retrospective quality, almost always opening with three or four songs from the first album Songs of Innocence.
    04 Vertigo/Rockaway Beach [snippet]
    Vertigo has quickly proven to be a great track both on the album and live. It’s probably their biggest hit and most popular song to date. Live performances generally feature one or more snippets referencing the songs of punk artists who influenced U2.
    05 All Because of You
    After its generally strong reception on the pre-tour, All Because of You is a standard of the setlist. Almost invariable following Vertigo, the pair make a hard-rocking tribute to the new album.
    06 Magnificent
    As on the pre-tour, Magnificent’s upbeat but slower-paced style, as well as its popularity, see it used to transition from the fast and furious opening run to a more political and thought provoking set of songs. Bono often introduces his bandmates to the audience during this song.
    07 Raised By Wolves/Psalm 23 [snippet]
    The political segment of the show is initiated by Raised By Wolves, the song that made U2 famous, even in these early years, as crusaders for world peace. Of course, Raised By Wolves is hardly a proper performance if it lacks the snippet of Psalm 23.
    08 Love and Peace or Else
    While Raised By Wolves might have made their first impression as politically-conscious crusaders for peace, the less-acerbic and more widely-interpretable Love and Peace or Else, from the newest album, has shifted the spotlight to be one of the greatest highlights of U2’s live shows. Bono’s stage antics and backup singing by Larry make it truly impressive, and the speeches Bono makes regarding the subject of peace don’t derail the song.
    09 Cedars of Lebanon
    Many fans are surprised that this song has become a major presence in the setlist, almost always being played as the third and final song of the political part of the show. As an introspective, eerily calm flip side to the more outgoing Raised By Wolves and Love and Peace, the song has grown on a number of fans and critics, but others still find it too boring.
    10 Song For Someone
    Another slower song, Song For Someone remains fairly popular, although some more hardcore fans wish the band would play it less often so material from HTDAAB could make an appearance.
    11 A Man and a Woman
    A divisive song from the new album, it was played clumsily at the first few shows, was dropped, returned shortly later in a Bono and Edge only acoustic format where it stayed for a while, was dropped again, and returned in a more capable performance of its electric format. While the initial performances are almost universally despised — even by fans of the song — the acoustic performances were pretty well received and the better-rehearsed electric format has turned many who initially disliked the song. It’s still unpopular among many fans, who wish that I’ll Go Crazy or the other new songs Original of the Species and Crumbs From Your Table, which it has rotated with, were played more often instead.
    12 Every Breaking Wave
    Although it missed some early shows, and continues to occasionally sit one out here and there, Every Breaking Wave, still an acoustic piano performance, remains a popular part of the setlist, although many fans still desperately want to hear its electric version live. On this tour, Bono has been dedicating the song to recently-married Edge and Aislinn.
    13 City of Blinding Lights
    Perhaps U2’s only song to rival Vertigo in a popularity contest, this hit from the new album always has the audience singing along with their hands in the air. It builds beautifully out of the piano from Every Breaking Wave, and many have remarked that the transition between these two songs is one of U2’s finest live moments.
    14 Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
    Exactly what this song is about remains unknown, but most fans believe it has to do with Bono’s often-turbulent relationship with his father following his mother’s death and the formation of U2. At any rate, while it doesn’t make every show (sometimes alternating with Original of the Species or Miracle Drug), most fans consider it one of the band’s most moving songs to date and a perfect correspondent to...
    15 Iris (Hold Me Close)
    …the ever-haunting Iris. Most say that the song has never sounded better than on this tour, and the audience sing-alongs keep getting stronger.

[encore]

16 Cedarwood Road
    Perennial live hit Cedarwood Road holds its position in the encore, though occasionally it is played very early in the main set. It’s another song that has gotten even better on the Atomic Bomb tour.
    17 Window In the Skies
    B-side to The Saints Are Coming, the band hesitantly played this song early on the tour and to their apparent surprise, the audience loved it. With a little more practice, it has developed into a true fan favourite, though hearing it is no certainty. It has surpassed its A-side in number of performances already.
    18 Yahweh
    A lovely song from the new album, used as the closer for the first few shows of the tour. While many fans and critics do not like the album version, there’s something about this one that just makes it feel more special live.
    19 Moment of Surrender
    Though Yahweh worked well as a closer, both the band and fans thought something was missing at those early tour shows. Moment of Surrender was reinstated as the closing song, and everyone is happy to have it back.

Song Performances

Vertigo - 100%
    Miracle Drug - 30%
    Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own - 80%
    Love and Peace or Else - 100%
    City of Blinding Lights - 100%
    All Because of You - >95%
    A Man and a Woman - 40%
    Crumbs From Your Table - 10%
    Original of the Species - 30%
    Yahweh - 100%

The Saints Are Coming - 10%
    Window In the Skies - 30%

No Line On the Horizon - <5%
    Magnificent - 100%
    Moment of Surrender - 95%
    Unknown Caller - <5%
    I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - 30%
    Breathe - 35%
    Cedars of Lebanon - 80%

The Miracle - 100%
    Every Breaking Wave - 90%
    Song For Someone - >95%
    Iris - 100%
    Volcano - >95%
    Raised By Wolves - 100%
    Cedarwood Road - 100%
  9. Under an Atomic Sky (1983)

Singles:
    Cedarwood Road

01 Vertigo
    Recorded live at Red Rocks, 1983-06-05
    02 Raised By Wolves/Psalm 23 [snippet]
    Recorded live in St Goarshausen, 1983-08-20
    03 Love and Peace or Else
    Recorded live in St Goarshausen, 1983-08-20
    04 City of Blinding Lights
    05 Iris (Hold Me Close)
    Recored live in Devore, 1983-05-30
    06 Cedarwood Road
    07 Window In the Skies
    08 Moment of Surrender
  10. Songs of Innocence Tour

Boston, Massachusetts - 1981-03-06

main set
    01 The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - An upbeat, audience-friendly show opener.
    02 Cedarwood Road - Another energetic, punk-influenced song, already one of the band's most popular.
    03 Lucifer's Hands - Despite being the B-side to the Cedarwood Road single, due to their limited discography this tune is included in most sets.
    04 California (There Is No End To Love) - A poppy, electronic-influenced anthem. Some fans adore it, some... don't, and many feel that it's one of their few songs that's just not as good live as it is on the album.
    05 Raised By Wolves/Psalm 23 [snippet] - A defining song of the band's sets, this impassioned protest song has been drawing a lot of attention and usually follows the more artsy pop sensibilities of California to kick the show up a notch.
    06 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - Another real centrepiece of these early shows. The Edge's distinctive guitar work is really shown off in this song.
    07 The Crystal Ballroom - B-side to The Miracle single, and not played every night.
    08 Iris (Hold Me Close) - A moving anthem in which Bono reflects on the loss of his mother. An emotional high point of the shows.
    09 Song For Someone - Continues the somewhat mellower feel of the end of the set. Depending on the audience, this can either be a major singalong, or a major drinks break.
    10 Every Breaking Wave - A sweeping anthem, certainly one of the band's best songs.
    11 The Troubles - A bit of a rarity, inasmuch as they have these when there are so few songs that almost all are fairly regular just to keep setlists a decent length.

encore
    12 Invisible - A single released before U2's debut LP, this one is a regular feature of the tour's encores.
    13 Cedarwood Road - A reprise of what is quickly becoming U2's iconic song usually pads out the set.
  11. Horizon Tour

Lido Beach, New York - 1981-12-13

main set
    01 Magnificent - The second single from the new album and one of U2's biggest songs to date opens the show in suitably powerful fashion.
    02 Every Breaking Wave - An anthem from the first album, often present early in the setlists, but not always.
    03 Unknown Caller - An epic instrumentally-driven song from the new album, probably not destined to be a hit of the band's annals but definitely a highlight of these shows.
    04 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - Poppy new song, some find it engaging, others find it offputting.
    05 Raised By Wolves/Psalm 23 [snippet] - The live song that has by now become a classic in the band's short history seldom misses a show.
    06 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - The ever-present TIWYCRMN holds the middle of the main set together with a burst of energy.
    07 No Line On the Horizon - another new song, not the most hard rocking but certainly nice to hear.
    08 White As Snow - this reflective new song slows the show down but rather than draining the energy, somehow seems to heighten it.
    09 Iris (Hold Me Close) - a major emotional set piece on the last tour, Iris remains such now and seldom misses a show.
    10 Song For Someone - a song from the last album that remains present in the average setlist.
    11 The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - The Miracle occasionally sits out a show here and there but for the most part is still played. It is not always the opener these days, obviously!

encore
    12 Invisible - despite not being from an album, Invisible will remain a strong presence in the early chapters of U2's touring history.
    13 Cedarwood Road - the band's iconic song appears late in the set.
    14 Moment of Surrender - one of the most-praised songs off the new record, U2 appear to have found a show closer for the ages with this spiritually-laced ballad.