1. Originally posted by hoserama:I would say anything above a mid level rig, like you said for cheap recorder plus church/AT mics. Basically a rig more than the 500 dollar threshold.
    Ok ok, makes sense now. I just wanted to clarify. As someone who has not gone over the $500 threshold myself I can tell that making the step up to a higher end rig can be seen not only as expensive (obvious) but also as unrewarding given the factors we've been talking about in previous posts.

So sorry if I started a fight, that wasn't my intention at all.
  2. Oh no, no fight here

I do find there is a significant quality difference in going up a tier on recording rig. That said, location matters the most with mics, but you have a much higher ceiling with the higher end rig.

I'll admit my microphone rig is the mid-tier (~$400 mics + battery box + recorder). However, I've sunk $15,000-$25,000 on wireless gear over the last 15+ years, so that's been my main focus.
  3. I would argue that even getting to a mid-tier level can result in great tapes. At that point it's 90% location and 10% gear. AT or Church Mics with battery/pre and a recorder PLUS the right location can result in stellar recordings. And higher end mics/pre's can be crap if in a bad location.
  4. Agree 100%. I do find that a higher end rig, generally speaking, is more forgiving in a bad location. And they would generally produce a better recording in the same location. But location is still the key.
  5. "(I just took in a zoom f8 eight track recorder and 5 iem packs through them on two shows this last weekend)."

@Hoserama any chance that was the Stones!
  6. On another note did Styx forget what town they were in on your recording..(Come on Vegas) maybe I heard that wrong.
  7. Originally posted by fastcars:"(I just took in a zoom f8 eight track recorder and 5 iem packs through them on two shows this last weekend)."

@Hoserama any chance that was the Stones!

No, that was Def Leppard for 5 feeds. I did eight feeds to a 24track recorder for the Stones.
  8. Nope, should have been Lincoln. Listen again.
  9. I was lucky enough to get some pretty good seats for Seattle! They absolutely rocked that show.
  10. Wait ........ What did I miss? Is there a Hoserama IEM by Styx out in the wild???
  11. Just on my soundcloud--tossed up a track but never got around to releasing full thing on the wild.

It was a very uncomfortable taping show--105 degrees that day.