2017-06-03 - Chicago
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 1
Videos: 2
  1. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

The 360 Tour was all about The Claw. This serves as both a massive strength and perhaps a weakness because the stage was such a spectacle that an argument could be made that it took away from some of the performances.

I enjoyed this stage because it had a particular purpose in mind, and that purpose was NOT to immerse themselves with the fans in the traditional sense. The purpose of this tour is The Joshua Tree and the stage and media used is all to that end. It's valid for people to say U2 as 4 guys felt distant from the crowd in this tour because I honestly think that was their intent. They wanted the music and the message of The Joshua Tree to be the primary focus of the show. Hence why the video screens were dominated by highly political messages. Sorry if people get offended when U2 decides to bring politics to the show, but that's The Joshua Tree for you.
  2. I don't see The Joshua Tree as a very political album at all with the exception of Bullet and Mothers. So I'm not sure why they are trying so hard to make this tour so politically correct. I guess they have to complain about something. Which turns many fans away.
  3. Not political? Think of the 80's and listen again.

I'm not sure I understand the rest of the statement...
  4. RHMT, Gods country and Exit are also political.
  5. Mothers of the Disappeared, Red Hill Mining Town... Even Streets to an extent...
  6. Originally posted by raynman009:I don't see The Joshua Tree as a very political album at all with the exception of Bullet and Mothers. So I'm not sure why they are trying so hard to make this tour so politically correct. I guess they have to complain about something. Which turns many fans away.
    Those might be the two most politically-driven songs, but the whole album was inspired by the idea of the "Two Americas", as Bono put it. You had Reagan's dream for America being a "city on a hill" and the optimism of it being "morning again in America" combined with the the horrific effects of "trickle-down" economics at home and American foreign policy in Latin American countries abroad, especially. That's what most of these songs on the album are inspired by...
  7. Originally posted by raynman009:I don't see The Joshua Tree as a very political album at all with the exception of Bullet and Mothers. So I'm not sure why they are trying so hard to make this tour so politically correct. I guess they have to complain about something. Which turns many fans away.
    I agree actually. But I wasn't born until 87 and I have all these songs that just mean "classic U2". I am always fascinated by how political it really is.
  8. Originally posted by raynman009:I don't see The Joshua Tree as a very political album at all with the exception of Bullet and Mothers. So I'm not sure why they are trying so hard to make this tour so politically correct. I guess they have to complain about something. Which turns many fans away.
    I agree actually. But I wasn't born until 87 and I have all these songs that just mean "classic U2". I am always fascinated by how political it really is.
  9. Has anyone got the warm up music set ?
  10. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    I think many people miss the political and more so the biblical references intertwined in so many of their songs...
  11. I just uploaded a multicam version of night one. No credit to me for the audio or videos, I just put them together (which took so many hours!)

Enjoy!

Cheers,

J
  12. Great stuff J.! Thanks for putting together and posting!