1. I think you should keep your opinions to yourself frankly. What are you even doing here?
  2. It may surprise you that people do have differing opinions.. and why is it a shock that a U2 fan like myself would prefer them to call it a day rather than doing substandard autopilot shows whilst turning into geriatrics?
  3. Originally posted by badirishcharlie:[..]
    It may surprise you that people do have differing opinions.. and why is it a shock that a U2 fan like myself would prefer them to call it a day rather than doing substandard autopilot shows whilst turning into geriatrics?
    Whilst I wouldn't go as far as telling you to keep your opinions to yourself I'd say they vast majority of u2 fans enjoyed SOI and are looking forward to the new album. Also whilst some have criticised the shows I'd still suggest the vast majority of people have enjoyed themselves. You may not be able to see past the u2 of old and I wouldn't try and argue they are better than they were in say the late 80's early 90's but they're a hell of a lot better than anything else out there.
  4. Maybe they act so sad because they read all your reactions about Elevation
  5. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Whilst I wouldn't go as far as telling you to keep your opinions to yourself I'd say they vast majority of u2 fans enjoyed SOI and are looking forward to the new album. Also whilst some have criticised the shows I'd still suggest the vast majority of people have enjoyed themselves. You may not be able to see past the u2 of old and I wouldn't try and argue they are better than they were in say the late 80's early 90's but they're a hell of a lot better than anything else out there.
    1) I enjoyed SOI and the live show
    2) I am not crticising the current show as not seen it yet (London 2 I will)
    3) I was merely stating that I would prefer not to see them keep touring into old age when time will catch up on them
  6. Originally posted by badirishcharlie:[..]
    1) I enjoyed SOI and the live show
    2) I am not crticising the current show as not seen it yet (London 2 I will)
    3) I was merely stating that I would prefer not to see them keep touring into old age when time will catch up on them
    Well yeah I guess I'm the same that I wouldn't want to see the band getting to a point where they were past it but I think they've got a bit of time left in them yet. They may have to mellow a bit but I think they've always been strong at touring an album, usually the complaints centre around the overplayed older material, so they should be able to write albums in the future that suit the stage of there career they're at. I'm sorry if I mistook your first comment to be a reflection on this tour, that the band were already at a stage where they should be considering it calling it a day. That I would disagree with.
  7. No one should keep their opinions to themselves on a board. Learn to take the negative ones as well. Can't all be peaches and cream here. Believe it or not you can be a huge fan AND be critical of the band.
  8. Originally posted by mrmatt255:I disagree entirely. I think there is a misconception that explicit homages to the past necessarily results in living in the past. Furthermore, given a band like U2 who has so repetitively spoken out against looking back, the contrast is striking enough to give one the impression that looking back is the equivalent of having given in to the temptation.

But I think this misses the point. There is no problem in looking back. The problem is if you look back at the expense of moving forward. There is a time and a place for looking back, and if it's done in a measured way, and doesn't swallow the band's impulse to move ahead, but rather marks a particular occasion, then it need not be seen as off limits. U2 I think has always been slightly paranoid about anything they do having even a hint of nostalgia. As a result, now that they are doing this, the accusations are easy by way of sheer contrast with their prior statements.

I disagree and have always disagreed with their quasi-paranoid stance in the past about nostalgia, and I think now they have gotten it right. I do understand and appreciate that impulse -as so many acts have petered out while being preoccupied w/ the past. But that said, a mindful moderation is more important than a strict avoidance of the past.

The issue is not whether you look back - but when, how, on what occasion(s), and how often, and, most importantly, do you then go back to moving forward, or do you get stuck in that as a a sole or primary mode of operation. If, when JTT2017 is wrapped up, U2 moves on as they always have, and doesn't make this type of thing the recurring regular practice, then that'll mean they haven't drifted as so many has said they have. You can glorify the past in such a manner that the future dries up, but you can also glorify in a more appropriate way. If SOE goes down a black hole, and we get a Zoo TV 2021 Tour, then maybe all these concerns will vest as true. Until then, I think U2 has found a reasonable balance between not stagnating and not being inordinately afraid of the past.

Amen to this. I've said already that this tour doesn't quite measure up to past tours that have been to support new albums, but good grief, this show was fantastic in Cleveland last night. Once you're there in the moment nothing else matters, especially not misconceptions based on following the show only through Periscope online.
  9. This tour must feel weird for them as well, so thats why they act different, they will be acting normal again on the E+I Tour
  10. Cripes. I feel like I'm in the minority here. I absolutely loved "my" JT show and have my fingers crossed for an Achtung Baby one. No, I don't think Bono should dress up like The Fly or any of the other characters but, hey, I love the songs from JT and AB and am embracing this tour.

Now....I get it. Let's get a new album out and perform those songs, too. I'll be there singing loud and proud.

As for Bono. I guess I haven't watched enough video to see if he's "off." However, he did seem a bit ...slower...more deliberate when answer questions during pre-tour interviews. Yes, he seemed a bit ...older. Because he is older and time waits for no one.
  11. Originally posted by RUMMY:Cripes. I feel like I'm in the minority here. I absolutely loved "my" JT show and have my fingers crossed for an Achtung Baby one. No, I don't think Bono should dress up like The Fly or any of the other characters but, hey, I love the songs from JT and AB and am embracing this tour.

Now....I get it. Let's get a new album out and perform those songs, too. I'll be there singing loud and proud.

As for Bono. I guess I haven't watched enough video to see if he's "off." However, he did seem a bit ...slower...more deliberate when answer questions during pre-tour interviews. Yes, he seemed a bit ...older. Because he is older and time waits for no one.
    I've also got my fingers crossed for an Achtung baby tour and think I'll be joining you in loving my show after next week. I've loved listening in and not regretted staying up to ridiculous hours in the morning, must have tuned in to at least half of the 1st leg. I would say the biggest thing I've noticed about Bono this tour from YouTube videos is he seems to be concentrating a lot more. I think he's wanting to do his best to perform TJT songs well and get the lyrics right. A lot of these songs regardless of rehearsal time won't be as fresh in his head as the likes of a vertigo or elevation so it probably takes a lot of work and effort each night to get it right. I think the whole band are doing an excellent job. If we take away all the complaints about setlist rotation, why they're doing this tour, songs not being right to close etc and just listen to the performances of the songs it's hard to fault them. I remember when the tour was first rumoured and people were saying they won't play TJT in full, Bono can't sing RHMT etc, then the announcement was made and people were still saying they wont play TJT in full every night, that will soon change or they'll do acoustic versions of songs, but they've stuck to the promise this time, they're trying to keep the songs close to the album version too. Basically we've always got something to complain about, I'll include myself in that, but if we just sit back and appreciate what these guys are still managing at this stage of there careers maybe we would be more thankful and not pick apart all the details and decisions made by them.
  12. Agree with this and with Matt's post above. I will not be happy if they ever go full-blown "greatest hits" nostalgia. But even cynically acknowledging that maybe this tour is a Live Nation obligation, the energy and imagination they put into making a 30 year old album sound fresh and new for our current political climate is engaging and energizing when you're hearing the band and 60,000 people all sharing these shows together in person. As long as new material keeps coming out, too, im happy. (Though, again, I am more looking forward to the resumed "E & I" tour!)