1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I've also got my fingers crossed for an Achtung baby tour and think I'll be joining you in loving my show after next week. I've loved listening in and not regretted staying up to ridiculous hours in the morning, must have tuned in to at least half of the 1st leg. I would say the biggest thing I've noticed about Bono this tour from YouTube videos is he seems to be concentrating a lot more. I think he's wanting to do his best to perform TJT songs well and get the lyrics right. A lot of these songs regardless of rehearsal time won't be as fresh in his head as the likes of a vertigo or elevation so it probably takes a lot of work and effort each night to get it right. I think the whole band are doing an excellent job. If we take away all the complaints about setlist rotation, why they're doing this tour, songs not being right to close etc and just listen to the performances of the songs it's hard to fault them. I remember when the tour was first rumoured and people were saying they won't play TJT in full, Bono can't sing RHMT etc, then the announcement was made and people were still saying they wont play TJT in full every night, that will soon change or they'll do acoustic versions of songs, but they've stuck to the promise this time, they're trying to keep the songs close to the album version too. Basically we've always got something to complain about, I'll include myself in that, but if we just sit back and appreciate what these guys are still managing at this stage of there careers maybe we would be more thankful and not pick apart all the details and decisions made by them.
    And here's hoping for a DVD/audio release of the songs very soon! I'd prefer an entire show with SBS, NYD, Bad, Pride, and the encore but even if it's just the 11 JT songs, I'll be very happy!
  2. Originally posted by bpt3:Agree with this and with Matt's post above. I will not be happy if they ever go full-blown "greatest hits" nostalgia. But even cynically acknowledging that maybe this tour is a Live Nation obligation, the energy and imagination they put into making a 30 year old album sound fresh and new for our current political climate is engaging and energizing when you're hearing the band and 60,000 people all sharing these shows together in person. As long as new material keeps coming out, too, im happy. (Though, again, I am more looking forward to the resumed "E & I" tour!)
    Heck, that E&I tour might be next year and that'd would make it three out of four years (2015, 2017, 2018) seeing a U2 concert - that'd be pretty awesome!
  3. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    And here's hoping for a DVD/audio release of the songs very soon! I'd prefer an entire show with SBS, NYD, Bad, Pride, and the encore but even if it's just the 11 JT songs, I'll be very happy!
    Yeah I've got my fingers crossed for an official release, as you said an entire gig would be great but TJT songs are the priority.
  4. I would say Bono's 'sadness' if that is indeed true, is probably reflective of the world right now. There is a lot going on everywhere right now. The celebratory days of Berlin Wall coming down and a new era of peace and global initiative for change in climate, aid, poverty, has all been turned on its head. So a lot of the hard work Bono and his band mates have campaigned for is probably feeling like it is being undone. I would be sad, depressed, feeling off, less than content, if that happened to me. In fact, there is a general feeling globally right now, that nothing is certain or safe anymore - a very sombre mood for the world.
  5. I have to disagree with the comments about people sensing they are not into this nor giving it their all. While admittedly Vancouver was more uptight than I've seen them before, and they seemed nervous, as the tour has gone forward I've seen a different band from that opening night, with Toronto and NJ1 being relaxed, full of energy and having fun with little interactions with each other and the crowd you don't see on video. Bono revels in particular in the adulation of the crowds and feeds off the energy. Just watch Vertigo in Toronto - a firecracker, or Streets in NJ1.

Of course I do see a band getting older, they don't run around as they did, Edge is a wee bit more static. But they have put on some fantastic shows on this tour and, playing songs not that familiar to them so incredibly well is so impressive. I've said it before watching these on periscope / you tube vs. watching live is a totally different experience and its harder to really I judge until you've been there.

But having said all of that I agree with the opening post / original theme of this thread in that there is something sad about Bono. While as always he is giving 100% at every show - I've been 10 feet in front of his mic for 4 shows now and can see the passion and concentration he puts in each song, he seems more emotional / sad than even for him. He wiped away tears at OTH in NJ, and he seemed near tears during Bad in Cleveland.

I'm hoping it's just that he knows that days of stadium shows like this are coming to an end and he's a bit wistful, or maybe aging is making him more reflective and as noted above he feels the weight of the world. He always has been an emotional guy.

It does not take away from the shows at all and when he's having fun he's on, but there is something there for him for sure.
  6. Originally posted by jennagirl:I have to disagree with the comments about people sensing they are not into this nor giving it their all. While admittedly Vancouver was more uptight than I've seen them before, and they seemed nervous, as the tour has gone forward I've seen a different band from that opening night, with Toronto and NJ1 being relaxed, full of energy and having fun with little interactions with each other and the crowd you don't see on video. Bono revels in particular in the adulation of the crowds and feeds off the energy. Just watch Vertigo in Toronto - a firecracker, or Streets in NJ1.

Of course I do see a band getting older, they don't run around as they did, Edge is a wee bit more static. But they have put on some fantastic shows on this tour and, playing songs not that familiar to them so incredibly well is so impressive. I've said it before watching these on periscope / you tube vs. watching live is a totally different experience and its harder to really I judge until you've been there.

But having said all of that I agree with the opening post / original theme of this thread in that there is something sad about Bono. While as always he is giving 100% at every show - I've been 10 feet in front of his mic for 4 shows now and can see the passion and concentration he puts in each song, he seems more emotional / sad than even for him. He wiped away tears at OTH in NJ, and he seemed near tears during Bad in Cleveland.

I'm hoping it's just that he knows that days of stadium shows like this are coming to an end and he's a bit wistful, or maybe aging is making him more reflective and as noted above he feels the weight of the world. He always has been an emotional guy.

It does not take away from the shows at all and when he's having fun he's on, but there is something there for him for sure.
    Great post. I think u2opra is onto something, too, with the current state of things probably weighing pretty heavily on him, too.
  7. Originally posted by MacStripey:[..]
    That sounds reasonable to me. That very small difference, but - at least for me - the whole TJT tour and everything around it doesn't really feel like U2 somehow. I can't put it into words. Maybe I shouldn't even try to judge until I have seen them live myself. Sigh. I don't know.

You are so on the button, and you don't even know it.
  8. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    Great post. I think u2opra is onto something, too, with the current state of things probably weighing pretty heavily on him, too.
    Did you see RTSS from L.A. 1?
    Not just Chris Cornell. Something is up.
    Full on weeping. I watched with genuine concern.
  9. I just watched the video I pulled up on YouTube...saw him wipe away a tear before he began singing but not "full on weeping." Even if he was, couldn't that just be genuine emotion about losing a friend?

Either way, if I were Bono, I'd be feeling both energized and heavy at the state of the world right now. I mean, I'm no rock star global activist, but I'm upset and trying to stay hopeful about the next three and a half years still under our current president...
  10. I hate to be "that guy", but they seemed pretty on fire for the Toronto show.

Just sayin'.

Haven't really noticed much else, but then again I haven't been listening/watching shows that much since the one I attended.
  11. Happy to be "that guy" in this case, too.
  12. I love U2 but am not a huge fan of TJT. Maybe they feel uncomfortable because it is a sort of "nostalgia" tour and they feel like they will never top RJT and it bothers them. I can't wait for the new stuff and will see them on their next tour.