1. I can't have enough of this thread. I have bookmarked like 15 posts already so I can come back to them when I have the time
  2. always loved the operatic voice from Bono in Miss Sarajevo
    1:50

2:58 (first U2 show I attended!)

and of course 4:04
  3. One song I really like and consider to be a classic, signature U2 sound with Bono's beautiful lyrics is Walk On. I believe it's a hard song to sing, but I'd be thrilled if U2 would give it a chance again sometime. I guess they'd have to change the key for Bono to be more comfortable with the expressive vocals needed in this tune. What do you guys think? I think it would still sound good. I have the same thoughts about Kite.
  4. Hi Peter, LikeASong

I'd like hear what you know/think about the following "mystery" (probably peter specialized in this).. Somewhere between the last Lovetown show in 01/1990 and the release of Achtung Bavy in 11/1991 Bono's voice seemed to have changed dramatically. Even back then I noticed.

I know he's had some doctor's warnings during the Lovetown tour, but as far as I know never had any surgery. But how do we explain that on AB he suddenly sounded vulnerable, cracky and more "thin"? Would you reckon that's just vocal coaching, some illnes or surgery?

Of course this dilemma wouldn't be fun if I try to disprove my own point. So here's a few post-lovetown examples of him still being able to do it, apparently. And Peter, I primarily mean that "full hoarse richness" here, this is not about notes perse.

06/1990 - Duet with David Bowie in Cleveland (starts at 3:00)

1995 - Club in Dubline with Prince (starts at 1:10)

Other than that Night and Day, Wild Irish Rose are also examples if him still being able to do it. But guessing you knew those already
  5. Originally posted by melon51:Hi Peter, LikeASong

I'd like hear what you know/think about the following "mystery" (probably peter specialized in this).. Somewhere between the last Lovetown show in 01/1990 and the release of Achtung Bavy in 11/1991 Bono's voice seemed to have changed dramatically. Even back then I noticed.

I know he's had some doctor's warnings during the Lovetown tour, but as far as I know never had any surgery. But how do we explain that on AB he suddenly sounded vulnerable, cracky and more "thin"? Would you reckon that's just vocal coaching, some illnes or surgery?

Of course this dilemma wouldn't be fun if I try to disprove my own point. So here's a few post-lovetown examples of him still being able to do it, apparently. And Peter, I primarily mean that "full hoarse richness" here, this is not about notes perse.

06/1990 - Duet with David Bowie in Cleveland (starts at 3:00)

[YouTube Video]

1995 - Club in Dubline with Prince (starts at 1:10)

[YouTube Video]

Other than that Night and Day, Wild Irish Rose are also examples if him still being able to do it. But guessing you knew those already
    Yeah there were some drastic changes, but not as drastic as between 1994 and 1997...

Do you know the story about the Point Depot 1989 soundboard recordings? Supposedly they were internally recorded so that Bono could handle them to his voice coach (other sources say "handle them to his voice surgeon", inherently assuming he underwent a surgery).
  6. I've found myself on a bit of a Streets resurgence, it's only when you look back that it becomes clear it's lacking that extra bit of 'oomph' from Bono these days. Overly chatty intro aside, he really went for it on the Vertigo tour. The biggest thing for me is him always singing the lower octave 'it's all I wanna do....' and he seems to have stopped doing any form belting in the outro since the 360 tour.
  7. Originally posted by iamcrazytonight:One song I really like and consider to be a classic, signature U2 sound with Bono's beautiful lyrics is Walk On. I believe it's a hard song to sing, but I'd be thrilled if U2 would give it a chance again sometime. I guess they'd have to change the key for Bono to be more comfortable with the expressive vocals needed in this tune. What do you guys think? I think it would still sound good. I have the same thoughts about Kite.
    This is interesting actually. I sing/sang as a hobby and tried many U2 songs in their register. The hardest ones to sing are the ones like "walk on".. that have these fast verses in the higher middle register with lots of words and not much breathing space.

Some other examples of those songs:

- Breathe (pun intended)
    - Boots
    - Elevation

It's not about the high notes, it's about the dynamic that makes their their songs easier or harder to sing. It's just easier (if you're a tenor and try to go above that) to sing the verses lower/slower and to reach for convincing highs in the chorus.

On Unforgettable Fire there's 2 songs (Wire and ISS) that are in the same key but 1 is just harder to sing even though it doesn't reach the highest notes of the 2...
  8. Kite Elevation 11/5 & 25/01 Two times 20 days apart I lost my Dad Oct97 and this vocal was felt to the core. Please PopMart 97 11/23/97 San Antonio full band and Please Acoustic Elevation Austin Tx. Of course Slane Castle All I Want Is You segue In to Steets. Concur With Miss Sarajevo live. So many
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yeah there were some drastic changes, but not as drastic as between 1994 and 1997...

Do you know the story about the Point Depot 1989 soundboard recordings? Supposedly they were internally recorded so that Bono could handle them to his voice coach (other sources say "handle them to his voice surgeon", inherently assuming he underwent a surgery).
    I'd never heard that before. Crazy.