1. Originally posted by LikeASong:Yes to everything Spot-on analysis as usual.

I'm wondering where that Wire early mix came from - I don't recall hearing it in the TUF remaster/reissue from a few years back. It'd be great to have more of this obscure recordings to see what he was capable of.

Did we eventually agree that the screametto (or falscream) in Wire was his highest chest note ever?
    Oh wait, at what point was that in the vid? I'll go and check
  2. Wait, I checked it.

Highest chest I can make out is a B, and there's a falsetto there that's higher (think and E).

Funny, after all this talking about "voice detoriation" just found that Night and Day easily tops Wire for the falsetto part
  3. I was talking about Wire but the TUF studio version lol

Night And Day is from another world!
  4. WTSHNN 1989-12-26 - Dublin : F#
  5. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    I'd say from a singing range and technique perspective that was his peak indeed. Great versions that Peterrrr posted. In 85-86 he still had control over clean singing, and could growl if he wanted to. Not sure of lessons, think it was just timing..

Then on the 87 JT tour I think he wrecked it. That's the "kermit" period where all the richness was gone, and it was just...tight in some way.

Then on Lovetown he (often) sounded better again, but high notes were all screams/growls, clean part had gone. And if we're honest.. on Lovetown he had a lot of effects on his voice that make it sound more spectacular than it maybe was.. Just think about those Bad or Watchtower versions, they almost double his voice with effects/echo's etc.

After LT the screaming was out as well, so he was left with a different Toolbox to work with Which he did fine I think. But boy did he age (in all respects) in just 5 years between 86 and 91..

Well written!

The big question around this is if Bono was an Tenor in 1984? Becuase his voice was very light in the sound and on the studio version of Bad he hits "Awake" very clean(Wide is strained for sure), but still Awake in the end of the song is great.
    And the way he sings the "B" in the chours of Pride in the studio version also.....
    The UF "mastertape" singing in the UF doc is a an example also(?).

The smoking and straning might have "made" him a Baritenor(baritone that is able to sing tenor notes), just like Elton John after hurting his vocal chords in the 80s went from tenor to baritone.
  6. Originally posted by Peterrrrr:[..]

Well written!

The big question around this is if Bono was an Tenor in 1984? Becuase his voice was very light in the sound and on the studio version of Bad he hits "Awake" very clean(Wide is strained for sure), but still Awake in the end of the song is great.
    And the way he sings the "B" in the chours of Pride in the studio version also.....
    The UF "mastertape" singing in the UF doc is a an example also(?).

The smoking and straning might have "made" him a Baritenor(baritone that is able to sing tenor notes), just like Elton John after hurting his vocal chords in the 80s went from tenor to baritone.
    Well,

He's hit plenty of B's, as recent as 2019 (Bad) so that's not really an exception for Wire alone.

There's an interesting segment in the "JT classical albums" documentary. He's sitting with Daniel Lanois listening to Still haven't found. Lanois says something to him like "A tenor will hit a G.. You're a tenor but you go higher".

Looked it up and Tenor is the highest modal voice for men, and C5 is their highest note. So Lanois appears to be off there and Bono is/was indeed a tenor A Baritone would hit an F4 as highest. Even on a recent show (JT sydney f.e.) he will hit between F4 and B5 in about 22/25 of the songs. So if he's a baritone, he spends a lot of time beyond his league

So as it stands, the all-time highest notes he did are still:

Open/chest voice: C5 (Bad studio version, Real Thing in a couple Zootv shows)
    Falsetto: G5 (Night and Day)
  7. Originally posted by melon51:[..]

There's an interesting segment in the "JT classical albums" documentary. He's sitting with Daniel Lanois listening to Still haven't found. Lanois says something to him like "A tenor will hit a G.. You're a tenor but you go higher".

Looked it up and Tenor is the highest modal voice for men, and C5 is their highest note. So Lanois appears to be off there and Bono is/was indeed a tenor A Baritone would hit an F4 as highest. Even on a recent show (JT sydney f.e.) he will hit between F4 and B5 in about 22/25 of the songs. So if he's a baritone, he spends a lot of time beyond his league

A Baritenor can have a very wide range, the C5 on ZooTV and Popmart was very forced and strained. If Im not wrong(?) that is typical for an baritenor, which still can hit the notes but more forced/strained.
    But the question when it comes for the createrias for a Baritenor, is it typical for an Baritenor to hit a C without problems(no strain) but C#(C5) with straining? Is the comfort limited C?

These are the C's I mean:
    5:32

7:16

5:01

51:37

2005 seem to be the year when he started to get a more lighter sound again in his voice:
    Spring 20005 was first time since the 80s when he started to sing "Wide Awake" with less strain.

1:11:10

Originally posted by melon51:[..]

So as it stands, the all-time highest notes he did are still:
    Open/chest voice: C5 (Bad studio version, Real Thing in a couple Zootv shows)
    Falsetto: G5 (Night and Day)

His range is C2-G♯5

From another list, need to check them soon.
    G♯5
    If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Jools Holland)
    In a Little While Live in Boston 2001
    Wire
  8. 44:21 Sing note is 8 seconds

1:54:23
  9. B♭4s in 5:40
  10. G♯5? 3:31