1. I've seen that HTBA before, were the vocals partially prerecorded? Something seems up at 1:57. Either way, good effort but 360 was still his best vocally (well at least this millennium). Just listen to that Miss Sarajevo posted last page!

I'll admit, I was initially very disappointed in SOI due to the lack of deep opera style voice that he would bust out occasionally. Bono was at peak vocal performance at the end of 360 and it's a shame they didn't get the best of what that voice could do on record.

Check out 4:15 here:
  2. about Jon Bon Jovi... his problem is, when the band started he didn't know how to sing, so he would just bell notes out, the first three albums there is some crazy ass screaming on some songs and that fucked his voice up. In 1987 Bon Jovi was doing like, 5 shows a week, Jon's voice was so shot that he would inject steroids right on his vocal chords to be able to sing, on the next tour they lowed half tone on every track. He had some amazing moments from 1988 to 2013 but now his voice is just bad, very very bad. I blame it on smoking like a crazy train and the state and stress he had when Richie left in 2013....
  3. Originally posted by cqleonardo:about Jon Bon Jovi... his problem is, when the band started he didn't know how to sing, so he would just bell notes out, the first three albums there is some crazy ass screaming on some songs and that fucked his voice up. In 1987 Bon Jovi was doing like, 5 shows a week, Jon's voice was so shot that he would inject steroids right on his vocal chords to be able to sing, on the next tour they lowed half tone on every track. He had some amazing moments from 1988 to 2013 but now his voice is just bad, very very bad. I blame it on smoking like a crazy train and the state and stress he had when Richie left in 2013....
    yeah i agree. its almost sad because i want Bon jovi to keep going and i want him sounding better :(
  4. Originally posted by NeonTiger64:I've seen that HTBA before, were the vocals partially prerecorded? Something seems up at 1:57. Either way, good effort but 360 was still his best vocally (well at least this millennium). Just listen to that Miss Sarajevo posted last page!

I'll admit, I was initially very disappointed in SOI due to the lack of deep opera style voice that he would bust out occasionally. Bono was at peak vocal performance at the end of 360 and it's a shame they didn't get the best of what that voice could do on record.

Check out 4:15 here:
    [YouTube Video]
    I'll check
    B.t.w. Yes 360 at the top
    Always a good voice.now maybe getting rougher
    He looks Like....getting tired.the weight of the world on his shoulders
  5. yep, its tough. I'm gonna see them next month here in Rio and don't really know what to expect. Voice and setlist wise...
  6. I agree with the statement that the 360 tour was Bono's best vocals since ZooTV. His voice sounded very clean and he hit notes with a lot more ease. I probably listen to the 360 tour recordings more now than the ZooTV ones. The I+E was still very good also, EBW was fantastic live, but you could tell on some songs Bono's voice was getting tired - which made sense as the man is now older.

But this tour, I feel there might be more factors besides Bono getting older. One factor is Bono seems to be singing songs differently from how he would in previous tours, like his technique is different, whether this is to accommodate songs from the Joshua Tree more I do not know. Another factor is possible private matters with life, health etc we may not be privy to. He has had quite a few nasty injuries which he is still recovering from still, and certainly after I+E tour he seems to have aged quite a bit from then quite quickly, and this shows with his energy levels sometimes during this tour, which are a bit up and down - which can also affect the energy of his vocals too, I know some of you may disagree.

Like everyone here, Bono to me is one of the best front men for a rock band in history, so it is hard to see age etc catch up with someone who you may see as indestructible. With that said, I'm very happy U2 keep playing and touring still and I hope long into the future they continue.
  7. You're a harsh lot on here. Have you ever tried singing as many songs as he does, constantly, all the time, day after day, night after night. The man and the band work relentlessly and for every song we hear, there are dozens we never get to hear but are still sung. Even in one single concert, the amount of effort he puts in is far more than most, if not every, band I've ever seen.

I thought his voice sounded excellent at London 1, but cracked two or three times at Amsterdam 1. I actually find it quite endearing. As seeing as I can't even speak for a day after a U2 gig, I think at 57 he does bloody well.
  8. Originally posted by Rammie:You're a harsh lot on here. Have you ever tried singing as many songs as he does, constantly, all the time, day after day, night after night. The man and the band work relentlessly and for every song we hear, there are dozens we never get to hear but are still sung. Even in one single concert, the amount of effort he puts in is far more than most, if not every, band I've ever seen.

I thought his voice sounded excellent at London 1, but cracked two or three times at Amsterdam 1. I actually find it quite endearing. As seeing as I can't even speak for a day after a U2 gig, I think at 57 he does bloody well.
    Who is being "harsh"? I thought this was a discussion.
  9. Originally posted by Rammie:You're a harsh lot on here. Have you ever tried singing as many songs as he does, constantly, all the time, day after day, night after night. The man and the band work relentlessly and for every song we hear, there are dozens we never get to hear but are still sung. Even in one single concert, the amount of effort he puts in is far more than most, if not every, band I've ever seen.

10. As far as I can tell, his voice sounds pretty good on the current tour. Does anyone know if he’s still smoking? I’ve read that he never smokes on the day of a show, but that’s still gotta damage your voice even on the off days. In my opinion, his voice was incredible and perfect during the original JT tour and on R&H and the Love Town tour. What really bugs me is when he sings beyond his range, like on the verses of Moment of Surrender. I know Lanois (and maybe the others) finds a beauty in that strain, but I can’t bear it.
  11. Originally posted by Rammie:You're a harsh lot on here. Have you ever tried singing as many songs as he does, constantly, all the time, day after day, night after night. The man and the band work relentlessly and for every song we hear, there are dozens we never get to hear but are still sung. Even in one single concert, the amount of effort he puts in is far more than most, if not every, band I've ever seen.

I don't think acknowledging or analyzing his voice defects is "being harsh" at all. Nobody is saying they don't work hard to put on a good spectacle (which they have always done and I'm sure they always will). But if his voice is getting worse (as was Edge's guitar playing last tour) then there's nothing harsh in saying it and discussing it.

As far as I know you don't sing for a living so it's not comparable.
  12. Originally posted by germcevoy:He's a lazy vocalist these days. I can deal with that actual change in tone but his breathing and timing can be all over the place. He was particularly bad during RTSS. Even with a click track he managed to be all over the place.

I'm not sure if he was has one but I think if he spent some time with a vocal coach looking at the technical side of singing then we'd see some great improvements.

Exactly. It's not about voice, but the way he sings, and I think "lazy" is the best description. Timing, but also tuning. If only it sounded passionate, but in most cases it does not. Easily the worst piece of the U2 live performance chain.

And in terms of respect: he should never talk over Pavarotti's singing.