1. Originally posted by melon51:Imagine them during frantic last minute overdubs/insecurities trying to decide on a running order for the album on the very last night..
    aka on every album production process since October I still freak out at the fact that Volcano was sent to Apple as a very last minute addition to SOI.

But yeah it's amazing how something apparently innocuous as the track order of an album can influence the audience's appreciation for it, and the amount of people that get to love a song. I'm sure that many, many listeners never (or rarely) made it to side B of TJT and AB, therefore losing jewels like One Tree Hill, Ultraviolet, Exit or Love Is Blindness along the way. Imagine OTH being the 4th song on TJT - it would be a hit instead of a hidden gem.
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:Combining 2 albums -whether they belong together or not- is cheating big time, it's like putting the best of Zooropa inside Achtung Baby...

01 - Zoo Station
    02 - The Fly
    03 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
    04 - Mysterious Ways
    05 - One
    06 - Zooropa
    07 - Lemon
    08 - Ultraviolet (Light My way)
    09 - Stay
    10 - Dirty Day
    11 - Acrobat
    12 - Love Is Blindness

Or like this

01 - Zoo Station
    02 - The Fly
    03 - Zooropa
    04 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
    05 - Mysterious Ways
    06 - The First Time
    07 - Until The End Of The World
    08 - Lemon
    09 - Ultraviolet (Light My way)
    10 - Dirty Day
    11 - Acrobat
    12 - Love Is Blindness
  3. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    Or like this

01 - Zoo Station
    02 - The Fly
    03 - Zooropa
    04 - Even Better Than The Real Thing
    05 - Mysterious Ways
    06 - The First Time
    07 - Until The End Of The World
    08 - Lemon
    09 - Ultraviolet (Light My way)
    10 - Dirty Day
    11 - Acrobat
    12 - Love Is Blindness
    Swap The First Time for Stay and I'll buy it
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    aka on every album production process since October I still freak out at the fact that Volcano was sent to Apple as a very last minute addition to SOI.

But yeah it's amazing how something apparently innocuous as the track order of an album can influence the audience's appreciation for it, and the amount of people that get to love a song. I'm sure that many, many listeners never (or rarely) made it to side B of TJT and AB, therefore losing jewels like One Tree Hill, Ultraviolet, Exit or Love Is Blindness along the way. Imagine OTH being the 4th song on TJT - it would be a hit instead of a hidden gem.
    Yes, I guess especially in the late 80s/early 90s. I read that Edge (and Bono) overdubbed the master tapes for The Fly and One in the mixing board room, so after all recording was finished. Maybe Mysterious Ways as well
  5. They should base their royalties in Ireland, yeah?
  6. That was a terrible move, from a PR standpoint. It completely destroyed their credibility as a band who cares about social issues, charity, etc. Being Irish has always been a huge part of their identity. People have more or less forgotten about the SOI "Scandal", it'll still come up occasionally. But this issue, people are gonna remember. Every comments section is littered people comments about this.

They should've never done this, and they should've just released SOI the old fashioned way. They'd have a much better reputation if they had.
  7. I actually agree with this. The royalties issue has hurt their reputation.From what I've read, it was about more than taxes, but also how worldwide royalties were distributed, but regardless, I don't think it was a wise move. I also remember reading about how it wasnt, at least at first, a unanimous decision, but that at least one member wasn't in favor. If this is true, I wonder who it was.
  8. Originally posted by popsadie:I actually agree with this. The royalties issue has hurt their reputation.From what I've read, it was about more than taxes, but also how worldwide royalties were distributed, but regardless, I don't think it was a wise move. I also remember reading about how it wasnt, at least at first, a unanimous decision, but that at least one member wasn't in favor. If this is true, I wonder who it was.
    If that's true then probably Larry. I guess.

And Bono's tax dealings is another matter...
  9. It's business vs "patriotism" I guess. They do a lot of "hidden charity "for Ireland and pay a shitload of tax there, but that doesn't mean they have to be stupid business-wise.

As a global band their income comes from all over the world so they (their acountant) has made some smart decisions in terms of being smarter with their tax load (in a fair way)

And in this (Twitter) discussion nobody actually knows how big the royalty-part of the pie is anyway. The touring business is taxed in Ireland anyways. Royalties are taxed in holland (they share an office with the Rolling Stones)..
  10. I understand U2's reasons for doing it. I operate my own business, and you better believe I do whatever I can to pay as little tax as possible.

But people are stupid, and only read the headlines, and make their own inference from there. People just think "So Bono's always telling me to donate my money to charity, but he can't even pay his own taxes??!!" FUCK HIM!!" Obviously, none of that is true, but that's the Bono haters perceive it, and it adds plenty of fuel to the fire. It gives them something to throw into every conversation about Bono / U2.
  11. Originally posted by podiumboy:I understand U2's reasons for doing it. I operate my own business, and you better believe I do whatever I can to pay as little tax as possible.

But people are stupid, and only read the headlines, and make their own inference from there. People just think "So Bono's always telling me to donate my money to charity, but he can't even pay his own taxes??!!" FUCK HIM!!" Obviously, none of that is true, but that's the Bono haters perceive it, and it adds plenty of fuel to the fire. It gives them something to throw into every conversation about Bono / U2.
    Great way of explaining it, they do way more locally than any hater would care to investigate..