1. These are the pros and cons from my POV:

Based on these 50 seconds of the song, my gut reaction tells me it's not what I would generally prefer as output from my favorite ROCK band.

Sure, they've never been 100% rock 'n roll "garage band" punk style (and that's one of the reasons why I love them; they've always tried to change their look and sound), but I personally do miss the times of knowing this band had balls and could write something like Gone, The Fly, Mofo, Dirty Day...hey, even stuff from HTDAAB like Crumbs From Your Table, Miracle Drug, or a ballsy song like No Line On The Horizon in the latter era.

Still, I have to acknowledge that those times are gone, the band will never be like that again because things change, their mindset is completely different, the current music landscape is different, so...I will try to warm my ears (and heart) to their new music and try to enjoy it as much as I can, because:

1) They'll always be my favorite band
    2) I don't think I would ever jump off the U2 train, even if my interest decreases a little bit (or not)
    3) I want to give them a chance by the time the full record is released, get immersed in it and see what happens
    4) Their next tour will make or break this songs, as it always happens: the songs really shine when played live

Anyway, nice snippet of a tune; not my cup of tea, but still U2, and new. I'll eventually embrace it.

Sorry, tl;dr...needed to get it off my chest.
  2. It would hardly be ballsy for U2 to repeat the rawk or dadrock formula of the past. U2 giving us retreads of the likes of Crumbs or Miracle Drug is not what I would consider a bold move. Trying their hand at more poppier sounds is actually braver in my book.
  3. Originally posted by TheRefugee:It would hardly be ballsy for U2 to repeat the rawk or dadrock formula of the past. U2 giving us retreads of the likes of Crumbs or Miracle Drug is not what I would consider a bold move. Trying their hand at more poppier sounds is actually braver in my book.
    It is ballsier, I agree on that.

As far a decision-making goes, they are trying new things and I applaud that.

When I said "ballsy", I referred to a heavier sound, but just because that's what I personally like. That is my subjective thinking about this.

Still, like I also said in my other post, I love the band 'cause they are always on a quest to be different from their prior selves.

And on another positive note, the refrain "get out of your own way" is now stuck in my head, just like what The Best Thing did to me (as well as The Little Things). They are truly writing catchier songs compared to their last couple of records: there are hooks and catchy lines or riffs.

Hell, I love The Best Thing, honestly, even though I know it's poppy. I can't get it out of my head. So, regardless of my preferences in style, I am open to these songs and I even end up liking them, so...

4. U2 are not "Status Quo" they do not and never have had a winning formula to their music, they are always looking for new sounds and colours, they cross all genres, they are a Rock band, Country band, Punk, operatic, dance, i would disagree that U2 have ever played it safe, and what i have heard so far they wont be again.... for me its an inability for some of there fans to be open minded towards their music, (they want what they once never liked) they want straight lines and a U2 they are familiar with......the Band do not play it safe....its some of the fans!!!
  5. First listen sounds fantastic........
  6. People should wait to hear a clear version of the song in the context it is meant to be heard rather than some shitty recording before casting any real judgement. Then have your say and opinion.
  7. besides Little Things, the rest of the tracks that we know to me sound very similar and that does nothing for me
  8. Originally posted by ELIZIUM:People should wait to hear a clear version of the song in the context it is meant to be heard rather than some shitty recording before casting any real judgement. Then have your say and opinion.
    This!
  9. I think every time a new U2 album drops people expect it to be Achtung Baby 2 or something similar. Let’s embrace them at least trying something different.