1. String mix is better.
  2. You’re not the only person to say that but I strongly prefer the regular album version.
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:This is the first time I ADORE the first part of a song and totally DESPISE the second section This could be an absolute belter and among the Top 5 of this century, but then they ruin it with the "Free yourself to be yourself" refrain which is not only badly executed, but also all over the place and with a strange change in key and sound. No no no no no. I'm simply going to edit it out and letting the song end right before it.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    BUT... I think in the album it works great this way.

However, I'm totally interested in a codaless edited version, I agree it would've been a little more better.
  4. Apparently the lyric is not

Oh Jesus if I'm still your friend
    What the hell
    What the hell you got for me

But

Oh Jesus if I'm still your friend
    What the hell
    What the hell you done for me
  5. After hearing this song at the Blackout videoshoot and remembering just lots of drumming, I finally heard the song on my homeset. It's an amazing song and last night when I heard it .... i was just sitting on the couch with my wife and we both had the tears in our eyes. This is the U2 I adore. Indeed Iris 2.0 but also it seems like Bono had a serious almost death experience (don't think it is that bicycle incident, maybe we know the story about that in the near future). He didn't talked about it that much on the Dutch interview with Ruud de Wild. Back to the song. The wall of sound and Edge's guitarsolo together with Larry banging the drums makes it one of U2's finest songs. The string version reminds me of Radiohead's burning the witch.
  6. Listened only once before my link went down but this song blew me away on first listen. Instant tears. Can't wait to hear it again.
  7. Originally posted by raynman009:These lyrics are frightening to me somewhat. It seems they are of Bono dying and drifting into the light to meet his maker. Like he had a heart attack and was lying on the floor next to his bed waiting to leave us all. It starts with him saying he should be dead.
    And then the lyrics in Blackout..."A dinosaur wonders why he still walks the Earth. Earthquake always happen when you're in bed." He wonders why he's still alive. And the earthquake could be a heart attack. As they often happen while sleeping. And references back to getting out from under the bed on Lights.

Obviously if this was the case, we're all lucky he survived it to write about it. He's meant so much to me for over 34 yrs of my life. Anyone else feel this way?

Absolutely about Bono almost dying. Him crying out to Jesus, God, or his family or friends, "hey now, do you know my name, hey now, where I'm going" is very emotional. In that moment, he was scared, and looking for someone (Jesus, God, his family or friends) to let him know that he wasn't alone - they know his name. And that they know where he is going, even if "its a road you can't travel with a friend".

That's at least how it comes across to me. A very touching song, and even more touching when you care about Bono greatly, as most of us on here do.
  8. I love the "Jesus... WTF dude!?" line so much.

("As-Prophet-as-it-Gets" mode)