1. I don’t think Bono would be the type of Christian to be overtly concerned with his eternal salvation (cf.

To me this one of most powerful songs on the album. A current and more personal version of Wake up dead man. My interpretation is that the song is talking about his personal struggles to feel connected with God and desire to be supported by God. He is angry and desperate about God not being more clear about giving him directions in life. So yeah, a modern Psalm.

The other theme is struggling with having felt alone/ abandoned by his parents, not really having a home as a teenager. He has looked to God to fill that emptiness, and to some extent the light in Jesus’ eyes is starting to make hime feel at home.

Any idea what the “statue of the gold guitar” is?

2. Imho, he's listing events or times when he faced mortality ("I thought my head was harder than ground" is a reference he has made before to his bike accident).

With that in mind, the "statue of a gold guitar" line works for me as a reference to the friends/artists that died last year, maybe represented more specifically by Prince.
    Maybe it doesn't make much sense, but that's the way my mind worked that one out in a very subconscious way... now that I finally try to put it in words, doesn't makes as much sense as it did when it was just a vague thought.

On the same idea, I've been more intrigued by the line before... "one more push and I'll be born again", which I'd read it as "one more push and I'll be death", don't knowing what the "push" means in this case.
  3. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]

Imho, he's listing events or times when he faced mortality ("I thought my head was harder than ground" is a reference he has made before to his bike accident).

With that in mind, the "statue of a gold guitar" line works for me as a reference to the friends/artists that died last year, maybe represented more specifically by Prince.
    Maybe it doesn't make much sense, but that's the way my mind worked that one out in a very subconscious way... now that I finally try to put it in words, doesn't makes as much sense as it did when it was just a vague thought.

On the same idea, I've been more intrigued by the line before... "one more push and I'll be born again", which I'd read it as "one more push and I'll be death", don't knowing what the "push" means in this case.
    If it were a CCM type worship song, of course “I should be dead” could refer to salvation. But the intro feels more dark. As you’re saying, it seems to refer to concrete encounters with death.

This song seems to reference NLOTH themes of first birth from the womb, the world and Bono being spoken (or sung) into existence, and second birth (redemption). Cf. Breathe about songs in eyes vs. lights in eyes. And Magnificent.

Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe he is thinking about the passage to afterlife. The place you “can’t travel with a friend” (is that the lyric?).

Interesting interpretation of the guitar being a symbol. Does make sense to include the theme of lost friend-artists in this song.
  4. Originally posted by NateV:[..]
    If it were a CCM type worship song, of course “I should be dead” could refer to salvation. But the intro feels more dark. As you’re saying, it seems to refer to concrete encounters with death.

This song seems to reference NLOTH themes of first birth from the womb, the world and Bono being spoken (or sung) into existence, and second birth (redemption). Cf. Breathe about songs in eyes vs. lights in eyes. And Magnificent.

Now that I’m thinking about it, maybe he is thinking about the passage to afterlife. The place you “can’t travel with a friend” (is that the lyric?).

Interesting interpretation of the guitar being a symbol. Does make sense to include the theme of lost friend-artists in this song.
    Interesting thoughts. I really love this track, it's groovy, Bono sings really well and the lyrics are great.

I think the lyrics are both reflection directly after his 'brush' and also very looking forward (which is very much the U2 mindset)

I shouldn’t be here cause I should be dead - Pretty obvious
    I believe my best days are ahead - "I feel stronger than ever now"
    I was born from a screaming sound - Really harks back to Being Born
    One more push and I’ll be born again - As you guys mention I think this means he was really close to dying - born again here means going into afterlife
    One more road you can’t travel with a friend - You die alone

What do you guys think about the 'free yourself' part in connection to this song? A kind of mindset for the remainder gained through his experience of near-death? Some kind of wake up call?
  5. my 2 cents on this song;

one of the best on the album, hands down. love the almost simple sound of the drums, sounds like a live recording done with one mic! and yes, Larry is very much alive on this recording, haven't heard so vibrant drumming from that man in years.

lyrically, I also get a nod to the prodigal son in the Bible.
  6. One more push = heart massage?
  7. Lights in front of me = the "famous" light that who had Death Experience has seen
  8. Statue of a gold guitar = what he saw in His Death Experience
  9. Free yourself to be.....
    The struggle felt by the soul that wants to remain on earth against the soul that wants to "leave"
    People who had Death Experience remember that they've been attracted by the sense of bliss and peace that this "light" gives.right?
    Some leave.some stay ( come back.free themselves)
  10. Bono's brush with mortality as he said, can mean a lot of things. Fly40: can mean a near death experience seeing things indeed.
    He does not go into details, and Edge sounds protective.
    But it also looks like Bono had a stroke, or heart attack or something
    like that.
  11. On the Whole album we Got repetition of words Like :
    Lights - darkness
    Birth - grieving
  12. Songs of Experience of Death.sure