1. and the years between albums don't really bother me, I bet a fingernail that this decade we have 2 albums left and U2 ends. jokingly, since I was a child I expected that in some decade U2 would reduce the number of albums until it came to an end, I think we all expected that
  2. Originally posted by Damonio123:I think that speaks highly of them, they still want to achieve "their best album" and call me crazy, but at this age the truth is that I was surprised that U2 is already thinking of 2 albums, it's crazy. I will receive with open arms any new thing that they bring, when that "hard moment" arrives... you understand me, I probably don't care anymore about this great band (except ZooTV recordings)

Well, they wasted all that time on Songs Of Rerecodings, which I hope exceeds my terribly low expectations. Then there is Songs Of Ascent, and then Songs Of Rock N Roll, so maybe that sorta counts as 3 albums?
  3. It's difficult, I thought the same about the band a few years ago, I was sure they had a bad streak, at some point it came to me and I paid attention to everything, I still don't understand how to dismantle it but Innocence ended up enchanting me (danger mouse nailed it too)
  4. Every breaking wave >>>> Beautiful Day (i like this song too, but cmon)
  5. Originally posted by Damonio123:No Line is an album for fans, but innocence...my god, I hated that album, but then I listened to it again and I must say that it is the best U2 album since ATYCLB, although everyone will go their own way, but I think that U2 was powerful in Innocence, I am not guided by numbers and relevance, but by how they sounded (their narrative is incredible) we agree that Experience is mediocre...sometimes. the quieter songs were the best on that album.

Agreed with you about Songs of Innocence..... It's an excellent album which was sadly overshadowed by the Apple debacle. And Songs of Experience has the best U2 song in the last 20 years..... The Little Things That Give You Away
  6. Originally posted by TRISTAN:[..]

Agreed with you about Songs of Innocence..... It's an excellent album which was sadly overshadowed by the Apple debacle. And Songs of Experience has the best U2 song in the last 20 years..... The Little Things That Give You Away
    Despite what I said earlier, I’m also in the “SoI is great” camp - I’m just aware many fans strongly disagree and wanted to acknowledge that. I genuinely do not understand all the love Little Things gets though - it just sounds like U2 on autopilot to me. It’s a solid song, cuz I mean it’s U2, but it sounds like a dozen other songs they’ve written without anything in particular to distinguish it. Other songs on SoE caught my attention much more.
  7. Originally posted by Faceman2000:[..]
    I genuinely do not understand all the love Little Things gets though - it just sounds like U2 on autopilot to me. It’s a solid song, cuz I mean it’s U2, but it sounds like a dozen other songs they’ve written without anything in particular to distinguish it. Other songs on SoE caught my attention much more.

totally agreed
  8. It seems Remy wasn't too far with his prediction from 5 years ago lol

9. Have to hop on to defend/explain the Little Things...for me, its status as a Top 3 U2 song of the last 20ish years rests in its lyrics. I've never heard Bono at more of a vulnerable, at-the-ledge-ready-to-jump moment than this one:

Sometimes the air is so anxious / all my thoughts are so reckless / and all of my innocence has died / Sometimes I wake at four in the morning / where all the darkness is swarming / And it covers me in fear

I could keep going, but you all know the words. For a man that can be so boastful, to peel back the curtain and REALLY give us a glimpse into what he's feeling inside is what sets this song apart for me. His vulnerability makes me feel safe enough to open up myself, and by the time Edge's transcendent solo comes in, the floodgates are open. Healing through emotional release.

But aren't U2 songs (all art?) viewed through the lens of personal connection and defined by what they mean to us, and us alone? The Little Things has been an anchor for me during depression, and I keep going back to it. But that's just me .

But back on topic...Songs of Ascent sounds very interesting, but my expectations are tempered. Ask me again in 2025 because it sounds like the band has other plans...and they don't owe us anything other than what they want to release!
  10. Originally posted by jnatzke11:[..]
    Have to hop on to defend/explain the Little Things...for me, its status as a Top 3 U2 song of the last 20ish years rests in its lyrics. I've never heard Bono at more of a vulnerable, at-the-ledge-ready-to-jump moment than this one:

Sometimes the air is so anxious / all my thoughts are so reckless / and all of my innocence has died / Sometimes I wake at four in the morning / where all the darkness is swarming / And it covers me in fear

I could keep going, but you all know the words. For a man that can be so boastful, to peel back the curtain and REALLY give us a glimpse into what he's feeling inside is what sets this song apart for me. His vulnerability makes me feel safe enough to open up myself, and by the time Edge's transcendent solo comes in, the floodgates are open. Healing through emotional release.

But aren't U2 songs (all art?) viewed through the lens of personal connection and defined by what they mean to us, and us alone? The Little Things has been an anchor for me during depression, and I keep going back to it. But that's just me .

But back on topic...Songs of Ascent sounds very interesting, but my expectations are tempered. Ask me again in 2025 because it sounds like the band has other plans...and they don't owe us anything other than what they want to release!
    I could not explained it any better than you about The Little Things.... Bono's lyrics, Edge's solo and the song's slow but sustained build up to its magnificent climax made this song an instant classic.
  11. Thank you for that explanation, that makes a lot of sense and I haven’t seen someone explain that so clearly before. Admittedly a couple of the lyrics in that song really bother me (“Oh la la la” being of course the biggest offender,) but that final bit beginning with “Sometimes. . .” through till the end is really a phenomenal set of lyrics. Thanks for taking the time to explain that.