1. But ‘Smile’ as we know it is far off from being Beatles’esque
  2. I'd say it is a new song
  3. yep Bono mentioned that. But who take Bono's quotes serious?
  4. Its one thing to record songs but its another thing to release those fockin songs...
  5. SOA will be their last album. The Bard's Last Breath sounds interesting. Wonder what material is actually left over from NLOTH sessions for the album since EBW, Stingray(now Lucifers Hands), Soon, Glastonbury (now Volcano and American Soul) and soon North Star being released.
  6. Originally posted by bushido529:SOA will be their last album. The Bard's Last Breath sounds interesting. Wonder what material is actually left over from NLOTH sessions for the album since EBW, Stingray(now Lucifers Hands), Soon, Glastonbury (now Volcano and American Soul) and soon North Star being released.
    Glastonbury was developed new for the festival appearance they had planned and wasn’t part of the Songs of Ascent album as far as I know. Stingray came from a 1985 demo they uncovered when doing the remastering of The Unforgettable Fire, so likewise wasn’t part of SOA.

I spoke to Lanois and he claimed all of Songs of Ascent still exists except for the other two you mention…

Be interesting to see if North Star the film gets North Star the song, and if so how far it’s developed in the meantime.
  7. i once heard that north star became song for someone...
  8. Originally posted by Faceman2000:[..]
    I don't think this argument holds water. First off, it's not like U2's music has been dramatically better since they've started taking longer to release stuff. Secondly, it seems with all their new albums that take forever to cook there's still songs that are added or removed super late in the game. If they just put out what they have more frequently then there would be some gems and some losers on each album - just like there already is.

You can't tell me that working on Glastonbury for another four or seven years made it a better song, after all.

And all the work on Song For Someone made 13 a better song, but enough to be worth the bother? And Volcano is probably better than American Idiot, uh err Soul?

Agreed. U2 should just put out a 3-6 disc set of demos, outtakes etc, but they don't have the guts to. Billy Joel did this, Bruce Springsteen did this. Prince had 39 albums, and still did this(albeit a much maligned collection). Yes, they released a few new songs on that fan club release that had all those ATYCLB outtakes, which was stuff we mostly already had anyways. And of course with Bono rambling on about Songs Of Ascent, who knows if any of it is really close to being done. Just get it out. Mercy, North Star, whatever Every Breaking Wave was in its infancy. But we all know they won't.
  9. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:[..]
    Glastonbury was developed new for the festival appearance they had planned and wasn’t part of the Songs of Ascent album as far as I know. Stingray came from a 1985 demo they uncovered when doing the remastering of The Unforgettable Fire, so likewise wasn’t part of SOA.

I spoke to Lanois and he claimed all of Songs of Ascent still exists except for the other two you mention…

Be interesting to see if North Star the film gets North Star the song, and if so how far it’s developed in the meantime.
    SOA will never see the light of day in it's current form it's over 10 years old now so there is no way they'd allow it to be released without making major changes to it and probably re recording the entire album, and that's the problem with been in a big successful band is they can scrap entire projects that cost huge amount of money to make just because they have certain doubts about parts of it, since Atomic Bomb they've scrapped multiple albums and projects a lot of other bands couldn't afford to do .
  10. I think that speaks highly of them, they still want to achieve "their best album" and call me crazy, but at this age the truth is that I was surprised that U2 is already thinking of 2 albums, it's crazy. I will receive with open arms any new thing that they bring, when that "hard moment" arrives... you understand me, I probably don't care anymore about this great band (except ZooTV recordings)
  11. Sure, except that’s not what happens, is it? Five years for NLotH, five years for SoI, another three for SoE even though it was “ready” when SoI launched, and not a single one of those is ever considered U2’s best, with most opinions calling them pretty middling. So either these albums they’re scrapping are awful, which I think is doubtful, or they’re scrapping middling albums just to release other, less frequent middling albums.
  12. No Line is an album for fans, but innocence...my god, I hated that album, but then I listened to it again and I must say that it is the best U2 album since ATYCLB, although everyone will go their own way, but I think that U2 was powerful in Innocence, I am not guided by numbers and relevance, but by how they sounded (their narrative is incredible) we agree that Experience is mediocre...sometimes. the quieter songs were the best on that album.