1. Originally posted by theedge123[..]

No, that's Holi, a Japanese singer that Brian Eno knew and he called her for singing on the track

Rats! I was going to say that would be something amazing to hear!!!
  2. Originally posted by Ali709[..]
    Theme from let's go native, instrumental.

It has vocals but no lyrics
  3. Originally posted by yeahTo go back to the inital question: To me it counts as a U2 release for a simple reason: Miss Sarajevo and Your blue room both made it on the Best of 1990-2000 release, so the band seems to view it as a U2 release. I'm with U2wanderer there.

But they don't have the album or the single listed on U2.com as released by the band. Maybe they're not sure themselves whether it's U2 or not.
  4. This is from the digital PDF booklet accompanying the Complete U2:-

This is a U2 album in disguise, credited to “Passengers,” a make-believe group consisting of the four members of U2, Brian Eno, and guests Howie B, Luciano Pavarotti, and Holi.
    The project came out of U2’s desire to start a project from the very beginning with Brian Eno.
    U2 generated new material with Brian Eno for Passengers. U2 tends to work backwards, beginning songs not with words and melody but with instrumentals born out of band jam sessions.
    When the group finished ZOOROPA, they had a large inventory of good music with no vocals.
    They set out to find a motion picture in need of a soundtrack, with an eye toward matching some of their
    music to a film. A succession of Hollywood producers showed the band their upcoming movies, but U2 did not find one they felt worked with their tracks. They did not want to marry their music to the wrong film, but neither did they want to leave the tracks gathering dust. Unsatisfied with those two options, U2 came up with a third – they would release their instrumental music as the soundtrack album to an imaginary movie. Unbound by any restrictions, the band continued to play with the tracks, in collaboration with their frequent producer Brian Eno.

A few proper songs emerged, as well as a Bono poem (“Elvis Ate America”) and the spoken mood piece “Your Blue Room” (with vocal by Adam Clayton). “Miss Sarajevo,” released as a single and video, moved from verses sung by Bono to a counter-song by opera legend Pavarotti.
    When the album was done, Larry Mullen put his foot down about one important point. He said that to release this experimental project under the name U2 would be a disservice to the band’s fans, many of whom might not care to come along for so strange a ride. Larry wanted the record branded as something apart from U2. So was born the Passengers.

NOVEMBER 1995 Produced by Brian Eno
    United Colours (5:31)
    Slug (4:41)
    Your Blue Room (5:28)
    Always Forever Now (6:24)
    A Different Kind Of Blue (2:02)
    Beach Sequence (3:32)
    Miss Sarajevo (5:40)
    Ito Okashi (3:25)
    One Minute Warning (4:40)
    Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long) (3:35)
    Elvis Ate America (2:59)
    Plot 180 (Instrumental) (3:41)
    Theme From The Swan (Instrumental) (3:24)
  5. pretty decisive there i'd say. It is but it isn't
  6. Originally posted by germcevoypretty decisive there i'd say. It is but it isn't

7. masterpiece
  8. it's DEFINITELY an official U2 album in everything but name and i 100% consider it part of their back catalogue - the album between zooropa and pop. i also think this album as a whole is easily better than anything they have done for the last 10 years by quite a considerable distance. (although thats just like, my opinion... maan. i know millions would disagree!)

i used to like to listen to it on the tube on my way to work making my way around london - it was like the soundtrack to my day.. i also like to play this record to anyone who slags U2 off as commercial, unimaginative and boring (i have to remind them that's just the last 10 years and they weren't always like that) and after hearing passengers even the hardest of sceptics is usually lost for words.

i listen to this album everytime i feel depressed about the sort of band they are these days.

i can only hope that maybe one day there will be an original soundtracks 2...
  9. Its a strange one for me, I never saw it as a U2 album because it was called Passengers but I don't know. Considering BrianEno joined for that album makes me think that its not U2 been as U2 is only 4 men.

I don't find it a very quality album and I only really like three songs: Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room and Slug. I was exited at one time thinking 'this is my chance to get into this album and give it a go and to like it'. But that never happened.

However saying that considering U2 have played Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room live, does that make them count as U2 songs? They didn't have Eno there when they played them live on tour. Who knows? Its only really for the band to decide and considering Larry didn't want to release it as U2 and the band and Eno agreed I guess that it probably isn't a U2 album. Also thwy might have not thought it was good enough to release it as U2.

I personally don't think it should be classed as U2 and if it was it would definatley be their worst album.
  10. Originally posted by Yogi:[..]

I heard that they wanted to publish it under U2 name, but Island Records didn't let them do that.

Yogi is correct.

The story is mentioned in Brian Eno's biography "On Some Faraway Beach: The Life and Times of Brian Eno". Brian mentioned that it was to be an extension of Zooropa and be this ambient record and Island sort of 'freaked' when they heard it. That was when they came up with the 'alter-ego' Passengers name.

http://www.amazon.com/Some-Faraway-Beach-Times-Brian/dp/1556529422/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273865152&sr=8-14