7. Red Flag Day - 8/10
    8. The Showman (Little More Better) - 6/10
    9. The Little Things That Give You Away -9/10
    10. Landlady - 8/10
    11. The Blackout - 8/10
    12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - 8.5/10
    13. 13 (There Is A Light) - 7/10

Overall: 8/10
  2. So, I haven't been around for a while and probably won't be in the future but for wanted to give my view anyway. I only listened to SOI like 3 times, so bare with me if I don't make all the connections...

1. Love Is All We Have Left - 9/10
    So,Bono Iver discovers the Vocoder... and it works quite well. Lyrically cringeworthy but a great ambience track. Could be even longer.

2. Lights Of Home - 5/10

Sounds like Cedarwood Road with Haim to me. Didn't like that one but I like the Free yourself thingy at the end. Lyrics rather flat again.

3. You're The Best Thing About Me - 3/10

Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug and With or without you thrown together. Combined with lyrics from a 14 year old boy. Not my cup of tea. but I understand why people might like it.

4. Get Out Of You Own Way - 3/10

See 3.

5. American Soul - 0/10

When you think, it can't get worse than Glastonbury and Volcano, there still is American Soul. Lyrics must come from some chimps who played around with a random generator.

6. Summer of Love - 8/10

Combining a happy melody with dark lyrics might not be the most original idea in the world. Copying the music from Prayer in C and combining it with a story about Syria even less. Nevertheless it works for me. Quite touching.

7. Red Flag Day - 7/10

Echoes the 80ies. Good thing in this case.

8. The Showman (Little More Better) - 3/10

Must be a parody. Didn't find out on what yet, though. Out of nowhere it can become a 10 in my book soon.

9. The Little Things That Give You Away -6/10

U2 on what they do best. Dramatic hymns charged with pathos. The first half ist great. Then Mercy comes in and ruins the rest.
    Could become a perfect song if The National do a cover.

10. Landlady - 0/10

Wow. Bono loves Ali? Who would have guessed. Credits for trying to use a uptempo beat to wake up the listener. Nearly worked.

11. The Blackout - 0/10

The best part ist the Even better than the real thing intro. Then it becomes Magnificent part III. But even worse. This is silly, Billy.

12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - 0/10

Ouch. Ooooohh oooh oooh shit. Hope no animal got hurt in the recording sessions. Chimps for the lyrics again?

13. 13 (There Is A Light) - 8/10

The better Song for Someone. Like the atmosphere.
  3. Originally posted by yeah:So, I haven't been around for a while and probably won't be in the future but for wanted to give my view anyway. I only listened to SOI like 3 times, so bare with me if I don't make all the connections...

1. Love Is All We Have Left - 9/10
    So,Bono Iver discovers the Vocoder... and it works quite well. Lyrically cringeworthy but a great ambience track. Could be even longer.

2. Lights Of Home - 5/10

Sounds like Cedarwood Road with Haim to me. Didn't like that one but I like the Free yourself thingy at the end. Lyrics rather flat again.

3. You're The Best Thing About Me - 3/10

Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug and With or without you thrown together. Combined with lyrics from a 14 year old boy. Not my cup of tea. but I understand why people might like it.

4. Get Out Of You Own Way - 3/10

See 3.

5. American Soul - 0/10

When you think, it can't get worse than Glastonbury and Volcano, there still is American Soul. Lyrics must come from some chimps who played around with a random generator.

6. Summer of Love - 8/10

Combining a happy melody with dark lyrics might not be the most original idea in the world. Copying the music from Prayer in C and combining it with a story about Syria even less. Nevertheless it works for me. Quite touching.

7. Red Flag Day - 7/10

Echoes the 80ies. Good thing in this case.

8. The Showman (Little More Better) - 3/10

Must be a parody. Didn't find out on what yet, though. Out of nowhere it can become a 10 in my book soon.

9. The Little Things That Give You Away -6/10

U2 on what they do best. Dramatic hymns charged with pathos. The first half ist great. Then Mercy comes in and ruins the rest.
    Could become a perfect song if The National do a cover.

10. Landlady - 0/10

Wow. Bono loves Ali? Who would have guessed. Credits for trying to use a uptempo beat to wake up the listener. Nearly worked.

11. The Blackout - 0/10

The best part ist the Even better than the real thing intro. Then it becomes Magnificent part III. But even worse. This is silly, Billy.

12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - 0/10

Ouch. Ooooohh oooh oooh shit. Hope no animal got hurt in the recording sessions. Chimps for the lyrics again?

13. 13 (There Is A Light) - 8/10

The better Song for Someone. Like the atmosphere.
    Fair comments. Does it work better as an album for you rather than just individual songs? I find it to be better s an album than the sum of the songs that make it. Not much better but still.
  4. All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised. I expected nothing and got a few nice tracks and indeed the weak tracks work better for me in the flow of the album. It could have ended after The Little Things, though. I'm curious about how all the songs will work live. By now, I can't see a single one working.
  5. Originally posted by yeah:All in all, I'm pleasantly surprised. I expected nothing and got a few nice tracks and indeed the weak tracks work better for me in the flow of the album. It could have ended after The Little Things, though. I'm curious about how all the songs will work live. By now, I can't see a single one working.
    I remember we had the same chat back in 09 when Horizon came out. Not really impressive but parts were good enough to give it a pass. Sadly, the days of a start to finish album committing to a single sound or concept seem to be gone.
  6. Are U2 fans loosing the sense of uniqueness??? This collection of boys band songs to say the least, should be called Songs of Christmas...this is nothing, this is a disgraceful job of a once Punk Rock band, what are you shouting Bono?? No emotion in your voice, only crapy Chritsmas songs...where’s The Edge in this álbum?? And everyone says its excellent...sorry folks, after 10 or 11 excellent albums, this is U2 becoming totally irrelevant compared to the other commercial bands Out there. Bring back Eno an everyone else apart Lillywhite
  7. Sorry, I meant bring back Eno, keep Lillywhite and throw away the rest
  8. Originally posted by u2joost:Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - 9.5
    The Little Things That Give You Away - 9
    Landlady - 9
    Lights of Home - 8.5
    Book of your Heart 8.5
    Love Is All We Have Left - 8
    Red Flag Day - 8
    Summer of Love - 8
    Get Out of Your Own Way - 7.5
    13 (There Is a Light) - 7.5
    You're the Best Thing About Me - 7
    The Blackout - 6.5
    American Soul - 6.5
    The Showman (Little More Better) - 6

Today, after more than 10 listenings:

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - 9.5
    Landlady - 9
    The Little Things That Give You Away - 9
    Book of your Heart 8.5
    Lights of Home - 8
    Love Is All We Have Left - 8
    Summer of Love - 8
    Red Flag Day - 7.5
    13 (There Is a Light) - 7.5
    Get Out of Your Own Way - 7
    You're the Best Thing About Me - 7
    The Blackout - 6.5
    American Soul - 6.5
    The Showman (Little More Better) - 6

So that makes 7.7/ 10
  9. Originally posted by glima001:Are U2 fans loosing the sense of uniqueness??? This collection of boys band songs to say the least, should be called Songs of Christmas...this is nothing, this is a disgraceful job of a once Punk Rock band, what are you shouting Bono?? No emotion in your voice, only crapy Chritsmas songs...where’s The Edge in this álbum?? And everyone says its excellent...sorry folks, after 10 or 11 excellent albums, this is U2 becoming totally irrelevant compared to the other commercial bands Out there. Bring back Eno an everyone else apart Lillywhite
  10. what do people expect after 40 years...fuck i know some songs in there are cringeworthy but ...

baby baby baby baby baby
    baby light my way.

they are still here after 40 years, getting on the charts, selling albums, touring. give them credit.
    we as fans don't even deserve this album this far down the road.
  11. Originally posted by glima001:Are U2 fans loosing the sense of uniqueness??? This collection of boys band songs to say the least, should be called Songs of Christmas...this is nothing, this is a disgraceful job of a once Punk Rock band, what are you shouting Bono?? No emotion in your voice, only crapy Chritsmas songs...where’s The Edge in this álbum?? And everyone says its excellent...sorry folks, after 10 or 11 excellent albums, this is U2 becoming totally irrelevant compared to the other commercial bands Out there. Bring back Eno an everyone else apart Lillywhite
    Sounds like you’re feeling frustrated being in the minority
  12. I dont mind being the minority, Im truly frustrated by the lack of quality of this album...come on, where’s the New guitar riffs, New drums sounds New bass, vocal creativity of Bono? Theres none of it.