Experience and Innocence tour
Legs (3): Promo tour, Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe
Shows: 79
  1. Originally posted by trainmaniac:After my tour debut I have a very optimistic opinion regarding the band's decisions when it comes to the setlist and the show as a whole.
    It's obviously similar to the IE tour but it's dramatically better mainly because SOE's songs are far superior to SOI's (at least, those that were played on a regular basis). At a point where it's easy to forget that they haven't played any song from the Joshua Tree.
    The only lows of the shows were Sunday Bloody Sunday (yeah, underwhelming version once again) and City of Blinding Lights.
    The rest of the show is so, so, so strong. From all the tours I've seen (since 2005 only) it's certainly the one I enjoyed the most to date because everything matches so well. Don't get me wrong, if I were to define the setlist I would change it a lot (to throw the whole Pop album in there, mainly), but I think the band totally nailed what they were hoping to do: to showcase a well defined narrative and highlight their newest songs. They were not sucessful promoting the new songs on a live setting since the Vertigo tour so this fact alone is quite impressive for 58 years old guys with a huge hits catalog behind them. You may not like the static setlist or their options (I would obviously play Little Things and Landlady / Showman) but you can't argue the success they're having with the new songs. The slots they choose for them are very wise decisions.
    The first half is not the strongest part of the show (partially because that's what we have already seen in 2015) but from the intermission 'til the end is just awesome. The intermission itself is brilliant and is really helping to build the narrative of the impressive segment from Elevation until Acrobat - they've done great things in the past but rarely have they nailed so well to mix songs with a story. The whole E-stage performance is brilliant and I was very impressed by the unplugged version of Best Thing and Summer of Love is just gorgeous.
    Pride - Get Out - New Year's Day could be a classic segment from U2 shows, especially with the new arrangements they came with for Pride and NYD.
    The encore is what makes the difference to me, and that why I say this european leg is probably one of their finest hours: they've crafted a perfect encore, with the right dosage of anticipation, of hope, of despair, of activism ... and symbology. One and Love is Bigger are both huge moments where they easily have the crowd singing along so loud that you can't ignore their power. And 13 is a perfect ending for this 4 years of intense work from the band, leaving the stage with the light bulb on, again. I've never imagined that a 3-songs encore, featuring 2 new ones, could produce such an artistic ending for a rock show. That's my favorite part of the show.
    Really looking forward to see 2 more shows in this tour. They took great risks on the creativity side and they totally won the bet, against the odds.
    Wow! Amen
  2. Originally posted by Blue_Room:[..]
    You could say similiar things about past tours also. If you do not want to count new material from the album they are touring for, then they are all similiar as well.
    New material is always what is different about each U2 tour (except JT 30 obviously). That is no different.

I get it, you don't like the current setlist or tour. I enjoyed it. I do not think U2 ripped anyone off by doing it this way.
    I don’t think you do.

Name another U2 tour like this. One where they’ve used the same exact stage setup, and used it the exact same way for multiple songs as a tour they’d already done before.

My problem isn’t just within the set list, like I said, it’s the show in its entirety. Even two more “casual fans” I know were disappointed as (their words) they felt like they had already seen this show (saw the same Innocence shows I did). And that was before I gave my own opinion, mind you, as I wanted to hear their perspective before agreeing with them lol.
  3. Originally posted by POPmart07:I can take little setlist rotation if the set is good but in my opinion it’s just boring. It starts great the blackout - Beautiful day is fine but after that the show suffers. The ocean into Iris is cool but it should have been done back in 2015. Ceaderwood road is just terrible live the album version is incredible but live is just ugh. That version of Sunday Bloody Sunday is atrocious without RBW they should just play normal SBS. I still don’t understand the bands obsession with UTEOTW but I don’t have issuses hearing it. The whole E stage section is great. After that though the whole show is pretty flat COBL replacing Streets is an absolute joke and the show badly needs streets, bad, and little things. I don’t want U2 to take a long break since I know I won’t get to see them for much longer but it might be for the best because they look like they are running out of gas after all these tours in the past 4 or 5 years.

Nailed it.
  4. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    I don’t think you do.

Name another U2 tour like this. One where they’ve used the same exact stage setup, and used it the exact same way for multiple songs as a tour they’d already done before.

My problem isn’t just within the set list, like I said, it’s the show in its entirety. Even two more “casual fans” I know were disappointed as (their words) they felt like they had already seen this show (saw the same Innocence shows I did). And that was before I gave my own opinion, mind you, as I wanted to hear their perspective before agreeing with them lol.
    No, I do get it. It is you and some others here and apparantly a few of your casual friends that do not enjoy the current tour.

I do not think it is perfect but I enjoyed it. I can say the same in reverse. I saw this tour with a casual fan who DID see I and E also. He thought it was great and liked it a little better.

Music and shows are such a subjective thing. It is all about your taste and perspective. Most people attending the shows in Europe seem to be enjoying it from what I have seen. I enjoyed it. Check out trainmaniac's post. I think that sums up most of how I feel also about it. Not everyone thought I and E was fantastic either, or 360 for that matter. Are they wrong? We are all expressing opinions and I do get your opinion. I guess you are not getting mine and think I can't possibly feel the way I do.

Oh, stage design. Elevation and Vertigo, pretty much the same stage with some tweaks. I remember some people bitching about that back then also.
  5. I agree the casuals I’ve talked to have felt their money was wasted
  6. Its official then, the casuals hate the tour.
  7. funny when the tour is made for casuals who go just to one show...
  8. In my case I've the opposite feedback. I even had people that don't like U2 very much saying that from now on they want to go to every single show.
  9. Surely if it was for the casuals they'd play a greatest hits set with maybe 3 or 4 songs from SOI / SOE
  10. The best thing about this tour?

It is divisive. We are all still here after all this years and we all have strong thoughts and opinions. That should be applauded.
  11. Originally posted by trainmaniac:[..]
    In my case I've the opposite feedback. I even had people that don't like U2 very much saying that from now on they want to go to every single show.
    It's official, the casuals do like it!
  12. Originally posted by germcevoy:The best thing about this tour?

It is divisive. We are all still here after all this years and we all have strong thoughts and opinions. That should be applauded.