Experience and Innocence tour
Legs (3): Promo tour, Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe
Shows: 79
  1. no way.

Well i think it’s time to say goodbye to u2 if They release more songs like that and When They start plying wowy again this tour

2. Right here, Lights of Home is my favorite from SOE. Thought it was great live, Bono walking up the ramp is a cool visual that fits the song to me.
  3. Originally posted by Pipo: no way.

Well i think it’s time to say goodbye to u2 if They release more songs like that and When They start plying wowy again this tour
    What?
  4. God forbid anyone has a different view to Pipo lol.
  5. Originally posted by Reach1985:I wonder whether there will be another tour too...

Look at it this way SOE probably hasn’t been as big a success as the band (and LN) wanted it to be - and let’s be frank it was never going to be. The E&I tour, in the US at least, was not a sell out - that must the first time since 97’ that US seats have gone unsold - and not just in minor cities but NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA. Cities that you’d expect them to sell out 2-4 arena shows over night.

Not true, third leg JT shows in N. America were not all soldout (they still sold well, a lot of people fit into a stadium even when its not soldout). Also on the SOI tour they planned 6 nights in Chicago, but only did 5 when the 5th show was a SLOW seller. Same for LA.

Many empty seats for 360 as well, especially in 2011. They all still sold well, but were not sellouts.

U2 are still one of the biggest live acts out there period. They basically have oversaturated the market in the U.S.and the ticket costs did not help that situation. They still sold very strongly, playing multiple nights in most regions. Most artists play 1 night in an area. If U2 played 1 night in each city or region for SOE they would have been complete sellouts.

Also, on the vaunted Zoo TV tour, many N. American shows were not sellouts on the Outside Broadcast. I was at the Pontiac show, most of the upper deck of the Silverdome was empty. Still were 35,000 to 40,000 people which is great, but it was nowhere near soldout.

Just a little perspective here.

Will they retire. Doubt it. It will take health issues by a member for them to retire. That is the only way there is not another tour. Which could happen, they are human beings and it will be 3-4 years before they tour again. But I think they will probably go 2 more major tours if they stay healthy.
  6. Originally posted by Reach1985:I wonder whether there will be another tour too...

There was some noise recently about a re-signing of the Live Nation contract but nothing official. You would have thought that if something had been agreed and signed then there would have been an announcement made by LN at the very least as it would have surely insured a boost in share price.

Look at it this way SOE probably hasn’t been as big a success as the band (and LN) wanted it to be - and let’s be frank it was never going to be. The E&I tour, in the US at least, was not a sell out - that must the first time since 97’ that US seats have gone unsold - and not just in minor cities but NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA. Cities that you’d expect them to sell out 2-4 arena shows over night.

That’s not great when you’re at the negotiating table. From LNs perspective you’re probably thinking it’s a good few years before you can market another tour in North America. And what LN really want is the greatest hits tour - a la JT30 - they don’t want a show touring the new record because the casuals (the vast majority of the audience) want to hear the hits from their youth.

And let’s be honest JT30 wasn’t the bands idea (or only partly anyway). I’d guess it was a contractural agreement that they needed to complete a stadium tour before the deal was up and all parties realised that E&I wasn’t going to do the business. To back this up there was an interview with Adam a good while back around the time of SOI / i&e in which he said that he saw (at that point anyway) the SOE / E&I bit being in stadiums.

Finally, what else do they have to achieve? They’ve done it all, the greatest live band of all time, tours and productions that no one has, or will ever match in terms of both scope and of course ££$$€€. If they don’t want to be a heritage act then perhaps this is the time to call it a day at least in terms of what we know as U2 as it is (mega tours / big marketing / ‘trying’ to be relevant - mainstream).

We’ll see anyway...but the lack of info regarding LN does have me thinking that something might change...
    Until someone shows me that u2 were forced to do the jt30 tour then I’m not having it. Yes it was only gonna be a few shows but I say bollocks that they were forced to do it
  7. I watched the Washington 1992 show last night. Absolute chalk and cheese with this tour .
    The bands best days are behind them I'm afraid .
  8. Originally posted by Timk68:I watched the Washington 1992 show last night. Absolute chalk and cheese with this tour .
    Using that logic, they were done after Joshua Tree. So they should have quit then. Now that would have been stupid wouldnt it?!
  9. Originally posted by Timk68:I watched the Washington 1992 show last night. Absolute chalk and cheese with this tour .
    I mean yeah, I think we've all known that for a while. I think the closest they've come to that level of greatness (at least recently) was the 360 tour. What a fucking show that was, especially the 2011 run of shows. Even throughout though, they sounded great, the production was spectacular (I even remember longtime fans saying it might've even surpassed ZooTV), and they weren't afraid to try out different songs. It's weird to think that the band on the current tour is the same band who tried out Mercy. Mercy. Let alone all the other rarities they brought out.

I think now, the most we can hope for is the best they can do now, if that makes sense. I'd strongly argue that this current tour is not the best they can do right now. Some people can't believe U2 would do a show like the Joshua Tree one - I can't believe U2 would get their fans to buy tickets to a "new" tour and keep most of the show the same.
  10. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    I mean yeah, I think we've all known that for a while. I think the closest they've come to that level of greatness (at least recently) was the 360 tour. What a fucking show that was, especially the 2011 run of shows. Even throughout though, they sounded great, the production was spectacular (I even remember longtime fans saying it might've even surpassed ZooTV), and they weren't afraid to try out different songs. It's weird to think that the band on the current tour is the same band who tried out Mercy. Mercy. Let alone all the other rarities they brought out.

I think now, the most we can hope for is the best they can do now, if that makes sense. I'd strongly argue that this current tour is not the best they can do right now. Some people can't believe U2 would do a show like the Joshua Tree one - I can't believe U2 would get their fans to buy tickets to a "new" tour and keep most of the show the same.
    It is a new tour, they are playing a lot of SOE and the show is different other than one segment. Half of the show was different from what I saw on SOI. You do not like that half that is different and the static setlists. That is way different from most of the show is the same. Yes, if you go multiple nights, but not if you go to one show.