2018-05-19 - Omaha
Tour: Experience and Innocence tour
Songs played: 26
Audio recordings: 0
  1. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:[..]
    I honestly couldn’t wait to hear your opinion.
    The low energy had to be due to 8 new songs on the set. I know the answer “ well it’s the experience your blah blah. It’s nit a good excuse. A live show needs energy. It also doesn’t help that one of the higher energy songs isn’t being played every show (RFD). I’m all fairness I haven’t seen it yet but I usually agree with you and respect your opinion so I’m guessing I may have a similar experience
    Well thanks! I'm glad to hear that.

To be completely honest, I don't want to beat a dead horse (insert Wild Horses joke here, RIP.) but the entire thing would pretty much fix itself if they'd just ditch the SOI songs. Even if they kept Until the End of the World, all they have to do is move a few things around. Here's a fix based on songs they've already played:

Love Is All We Have Left
    The Blackout
    Lights Of Home
    I Will Follow
    Gloria
    Beautiful Day
    The Ocean
    Red Flag Day
    All Because of You
    Vertigo

Until the End of the World
    (Intermission - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me)
    Elevation
    Desire
    Acrobat
    You're The Best Thing About Me
    Staring at the Sun
    Pride (In the Name of Love)
    Get Out Of Your Own Way
    American Soul
    City of Blinding Lights

encore(s):
    Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
    One
    Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
    13 (There Is A Light)

Also for some reason...the ending feels like it comes up kind of quick. Like the pacing of the whole show is off. You have a killer, REALLY strong intro (all the way through The Ocean, really) - and then it dies off and really kills the vibe by doing a re-hash of your exact same story from before. A cool intermission...which leads to a sort of imbalanced time on the E stage. It's a weird mix of hits, super rare stuff, and a bogus acoustic performance of Best Thing that nobody was clamoring for. And then before you know it, it's that sort of weak ending with Pride/Get Out/AS/COBL that just seems very packaged and sold. Plus a weak encore.
  2. It's turned into a traveling Broadway show, you know what you're going to get, but some nights they take out one of the signature songs and replace it with... nothing LOL
  3. Originally posted by bonoschild:It's turned into a traveling Broadway show, you know what you're going to get, but some nights they take out one of the signature songs and replace it with... nothing LOL
  4. Originally posted by bonoschild:It's turned into a traveling Broadway show, you know what you're going to get, but some nights they take out one of the signature songs and replace it with... nothing LOL
    And yet... there we all are.
  5. Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    Well thanks! I'm glad to hear that.

To be completely honest, I don't want to beat a dead horse (insert Wild Horses joke here, RIP.) but the entire thing would pretty much fix itself if they'd just ditch the SOI songs. Even if they kept Until the End of the World, all they have to do is move a few things around. Here's a fix based on songs they've already played:

Love Is All We Have Left
    The Blackout
    Lights Of Home
    I Will Follow
    Gloria
    Beautiful Day
    The Ocean
    Red Flag Day
    All Because of You
    Vertigo

Until the End of the World
    (Intermission - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me)
    Elevation
    Desire
    Acrobat
    You're The Best Thing About Me
    Staring at the Sun
    Pride (In the Name of Love)
    Get Out Of Your Own Way
    American Soul
    City of Blinding Lights

encore(s):
    Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
    One
    Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
    13 (There Is A Light)

Also for some reason...the ending feels like it comes up kind of quick. Like the pacing of the whole show is off. You have a killer, REALLY strong intro (all the way through The Ocean, really) - and then it dies off and really kills the vibe by doing a re-hash of your exact same story from before. A cool intermission...which leads to a sort of imbalanced time on the E stage. It's a weird mix of hits, super rare stuff, and a bogus acoustic performance of Best Thing that nobody was clamoring for. And then before you know it, it's that sort of weak ending with Pride/Get Out/AS/COBL that just seems very packaged and sold. Plus a weak encore.
    Interesting. That set you listed with just minor switches does indeed look a lot better, agreed.

Good to hear the intro is killer through The Ocean, though. I enjoyed Iris & Cedarwood enough in 2015 that I'm excited to hear/watch those performances again. But glad they dropped SFS and even Raised By Wolves, even with nothing to replace them ( .)Unpopular view, maybe...But many people on here, myself included, were questioning their decision to replay ALL of those SOI songs in Tulsa. So even though it doesn't look like they are getting replaced with anything I look at it as a "bonus" that we're still getting 24-25 songs a night, anyway, and will enjoy the two SOI mainstays.

I'm clearly in the minority, but also looking forward to the acoustic Best Thing performance in Chicago this week. I think it's lovely. Not sure about the Pride through COBL sequence, but intrigued by the intentional grouping there. And hoping for an extra song in the encore to liven things up at the end more, as you said.
  6. After Acrobat, there's not an exciting moment through the end of the show. Staring at the Sun is amazing to hear, but it's lost on the crowd. Not to say I hope they drop it, but it doesn't really make a big impact.

Pride is boring and tired after so long without a break. Get Out is a weak live song that doesn't do the job they think its doing in the live show. American Soul is meh. COBL doesn't have a lot of magic left.

Encore is what it is.
  7. Originally posted by MattG:After Acrobat, there's not an exciting moment through the end of the show. Staring at the Sun is amazing to hear, but it's lost on the crowd. Not to say I hope they drop it, but it doesn't really make a big impact.

Pride is boring and tired after so long without a break. Get Out is a weak live song that doesn't do the job they think its doing in the live show. American Soul is meh. COBL doesn't have a lot of magic left.

Encore is what it is.
    Oddly enough, I thought Staring at the Sun went down better with the crowd than Acrobat did. I saw one guy in the lower bowl punching his arm and screaming along to Acrobat, but even the "hard core" people around me weren't going mental or singing much, if at all.
  8. That's sort of the curse of the song though, right? I'm not going to be going ape-wild like I am when Vertigo or Gloria starts and I'm down in the pit. Acrobat is way more of a song I have to just live within its moment, and appreciate what's happening. I was totally lost in that one, and very into it - but nobody around me might have known.
  9. hers my mixlr recording bfrom Omaha

10. Originally posted by MattG:After Acrobat, there's not an exciting moment through the end of the show. Staring at the Sun is amazing to hear, but it's lost on the crowd. Not to say I hope they drop it, but it doesn't really make a big impact.

Encore is what it is.
    Haha, ouch! Objectively speaking, when I read this, I agree completely. GOOYOW / AS is the weakest part of the album for me, despite loving Kendrick Lamar. COBL has never been a live favorite for me, though that might change when I see it in NYC next month. Pride I'm actually looking forward to, seeing as Streets is gone.

There's a part of me, though, that still applauds their efforts to "frame" the new combo of GOOYOW / AS with Pride on the one hand and COBL on the other. Definitely an intentional way to bring out the "this is what America can and should really be" theme. Hoping I agree with this latter sentiment (with a lot of reviews I've read that love this part of the show) when I see it in person.
  11. So far I downloaded three shows including the rehearsal...Acrobat is a real highlight, musically...as it is 6/8, nobody will clap along, of course. It's okay to just listen to a fine piece of music, isn't it?
    I just hope that U2 are okay with that and they don't stop playing it, not because it's rare, but because it's really,really good, imho.