2018-06-25 - New York
Tour: Experience and Innocence tour
Songs played: 26
Audio recordings: 3
Videos: 1
  1. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    It finally dawned to me that they're taking themselves too serious...or rather: they're taking the narrative too serious.

They're actually falling in the same trap as once in the 80-ies. They recovered very well from this with Achtung Baby, but I really doubt if they can dream it all up again one final time.

Indeed, it would be good if they have some reflection and bring back a little more fun and spontaneity.

This is actually a really interesting way to think about it, and perhaps a valid criticism...

And yet, though this response has been made many times throughout this tour leg already, I will refer to Zoo TV again, since you mentioned Achtung Baby. For comparison to these NY/NJ shows, U2 played an identical set during the first leg of Zoo in East Rutherford, NYC, and Albany. I concede that this is different than playing 3 shows in the same venue and only having one song rotate. But still, it shows that on any given leg, if the band is happy with the show they’re putting on, they’re not going to mess with it much.

So, though I’d also wish for more rotating slots (really, I do), I guess it doesn’t bother me as much as there is clearly historical precedence for this in the band’s touring career, especially with shows that are more “production-heavy” like this.

In short, I actually commend the band for still having the imagination to put on something of this magnitude, which I have really enjoyed at the pair of shows I’ve seen live. I even rate this personally above I&E in 2015 - despite the greater rotation slots on that tour, I thought it sort of collapsed into a greatest hits-fest in the second half of the show. And that encore also kind of sucked.

(Final side note: remember how we all bitched during the 8 show run at MSG in 2015 when they played Angel of Harlem and Desire on the E stage at more than one show instead of something different?)
  2. How can an encore including Ultraviolet, Bad & 40 "suck" !!??
  3. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

This is actually a really interesting way to think about it, and perhaps a valid criticism...

And yet, though this response has been made many times throughout this tour leg already, I will refer to Zoo TV again, since you mentioned Achtung Baby. For comparison to these NY/NJ shows, U2 played an identical set during the first leg of Zoo in East Rutherford, NYC, and Albany. I concede that this is different than playing 3 shows in the same venue and only having one song rotate. But still, it shows that on any given leg, if the band is happy with the show they’re putting on, they’re not going to mess with it much.

So, though I’d also wish for more rotating slots (really, I do), I guess it doesn’t bother me as much as there is clearly historical precedence for this in the band’s touring career, especially with shows that are more “production-heavy” like this.
    [...]
    True. And the comparison with ZOO TV has indeed be made, although I wouldn't go so far as to value them equaly.

Interestingly, the European leg of ZOO TV - and perhaps the Outside Broadcast even more - did incorporated some looseness and relativation. Let's hope the band finds some more inspiration from their own history
  4. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    True. And the comparison with ZOO TV has indeed be made, although I wouldn't go so far as to value them equaly.

Interestingly, the European leg of ZOO TV - and perhaps the Outside Broadcast even more - did incorporated some looseness and relativation. Let's hope the band finds some more inspiration from their own history
    Definitely.
  5. Had anyone noticed or mentioned Zooropa sounds in the intro and electric SBS yesterday?
  6. That’s the way it’s been all tour I think, although SBS is still a stripped down electric performance as opposed to the full on version.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    That’s the way it’s been all tour I think, although SBS is still a stripped down electric performance as opposed to the full on version.
    I didn't notice it in Jersey... no Zooropa sounds and acoustic SBS
  8. I haven’t heard the full New Jersey show yet but there’s a video on YouTube of SBS and it’s electric guitar. Haven’t heard the intro yet but Zooropa sounds have been there at every other show I’m sure.
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I haven’t heard the full New Jersey show yet but there’s a video on YouTube of SBS and it’s electric guitar. Haven’t heard the intro yet but Zooropa sounds have been there at every other show I’m sure.
    Yesterday it was fully electric, stripped down were just drums.... rest was full power. Jersey was fully stripped down...