Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Legs (1): New Zealand, Australia and Asia
Shows: 15
  1. Originally posted by deanallison:Going forward I think it would be quite cool to see the band have more songs that combined piano and guitar. Edge always does a good job of this live and it seems to bring about great songs, The Unforgettable Fire, New Years Day, Raised By Wolves, Lemon. Even though Edge is a much better guitar player than Piano player I think there’s more potential at this stage of his career to be more creative when combining the 2.
    As a complete advocate of Edge playing as less piano as possible, I say a big YES to this. Songs are much much better when combining piano and guitar (and you selected a great list of examples) than just piano.
  2. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:I've felt for a long time that Larry has slowed down a lot over the years. He seemed much more frenetic in the early years but is more measured now. Can still kick a mean bass drum though.
    That's an usual pattern too. We musicians play faster (and usually louder) when we're younger, then tend to calm down a bit with the passing of the years. In the case of Larry though I think it's been for the good as he's a much more complete drummer now - and I don't mean just for U2 (check Alice Cooper's latest album to hear Larry at his possible best ever).
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    As a complete advocate of Edge playing as less piano as possible, I say a big YES to this. Songs are much much better when combining piano and guitar (and you selected a great list of examples) than just piano.
    Let's not forget the ZooTv Mysterious Ways. I really like that little bit of piano at the start.
  4. You, sir, are very right. I always forget it. I guess it's easy to overlook it in the midst of such a guitar-oriented song, but it's there and it's great.
  5. At the end I think that Terry deserve a spot on stage, not in the underworld. Think he does more and more every tour, but that could be my view. I’m not that musical, so it ain’t more than a feeling..
  6. Terry obviously does a lot - Larry even has a little screen with a camera on Terry, at least on the last tour.

I guess it would just be a bit odd for most of the audience to have U2 + Terry on stage. It would take some getting used to for me.
  7. I’m sure there’s parts that Terry plays that would literally be impossible for the Edge because he’s already preoccupied with the guitar, I don’t really mind Terry being under the stage though. I don’t know if it was related to the point I made but just to clarify I’m talking specifically about the idea of new songs that Edge could play both piano and guitar parts live like the songs I mentioned earlier. I’m not opposed to Terry playing where needed but in the examples where Edge can manage both he usually delivers.
  8. Sucks that he stopped playing it live. He did it here.

Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    You don’t need YouTube just listen to the Paris dvd version where Edge is strumming the chords and they edited out the solo then listen to any other version from the tour, even the non edited version from the same show.

Here’s some examples about 2.52ish on each.

[YouTube Video]

[YouTube Video]
  9. Interesting, I wonder when he stopped playing the solo live. I was checking out a video of invisible from Toronto 06/07/15 since that’s the version they’re using for the subscriber set and he wasn’t playing it live then. Wrong choice imo.
  10. Great point and I noticed that as well.
    Not sure why Edge wouldn't always play the full slide guitar solo in Mysterious Ways at every show they played MW either. If there is a technical reason I guess I could understand but if it's just lazy or looking for a shortcut that's not cool.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:Interesting, I wonder when he stopped playing the solo live. I was checking out a video of invisible from Toronto 06/07/15 since that’s the version they’re using for the subscriber set and he wasn’t playing it live then. Wrong choice imo.
    I think it was just a few shows into the first leg, somewhere around Phoenix or Los Angeles. Can't be arsed to check it out but it was less than 10 shows for sure.
  12. As bad as it was just playing the chords in Invisible instead of the solo, at least he was playing something.

He wasn’t playing anything during Best Thing’s solo lol