1. The other day my parents and I were argumenting about this topic; my father said ne has improved with the "soul" colaboration of Mary J Blidge, but my mother and me said that One has lost its quiet Achtung's atmosphere. Originally it was a quiet song, personal and intimate, but I think that Mary has f*cked it off with her screams... I like her recordings (they are very good music, she has a great voice...) but I don't like her colaborations at all...

What do you think? Seee you!
  2. She has beautiful voice but she succeeded in fuckin' up the song, just as you said

Theres' to much her and to less U2 in that new version.

3. The album version is ways better!
  4. its good how they play it like they do on their live set... but YES she fucked it up... BIG TIME!!!
  5. Yep, a definite fuck up.
  6. i think it's all a matter of personal taste. i know of a few people who love the collaboration and are surprised to hear a version where bono doesn't announce, "mary..." to them that's how the song should sound.

me personally, i think the idea of the collaboration was nice, and i like how edge's guitar part is updated to sound more similar to the modern live versions, but i simply cannot listen to mary's interpretation. bono's vocal inflections, his timbre, and the original melody of the song, to me represents how One is "supposed to sound"
  7. I really dislike it, I really dislike the fact that radio stations play this version over and over again and never play the original album version which is ten times better.
  8. ps: "one" is not really "one" without the "hear us coming Lord" verse at the end, and nobody can do that like him
  9. PPS: for kicks, i just streamed mary's version from Napster.com and then listened to the Achtung Baby version.

the verdict?

i absolutely retract the diplomacy with which i treated the remake. the remake sucks.
  10. I hear it every day on the radio (the AB version) but I agree, the 'hear us coming lord' is way better.
  11. I liked it for the first time I heard it..the version does suck, but it was nice to hear a diffrent version..
  12. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what put me off the song. A great song at first but hearing that ruined it.

You go back to Achtung Baby and voila, the song is great once again.