2019-12-11 - Manila
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2019
Songs played: 26
Audio recordings: 1

1. I highly doubt this is going to happen.
  2. Well, they are trying to force a social agenda on the people. It's really annoying. They have a mandate of supplying a voice to 'underepresented' people who are now overrepresented. The underrepresented people just too are unorganized to create their own media presence. I generally agree with U2s social politics but CBC has turned into loonyland.
  3. Originally posted by Turkued:[..]
    Ad hominem attacks on a broadcaster. So your government is also a parody in giving asylum to those fleeing this cult/church?

If U2 goes ahead with this show be prepared to cross pickets organised by the human rights community at their shows in, at least, New Zealand and Australia. I was contacted by a human rights worker in Melbourne who had heard of the show and knew I followed U2. I knew nothing about this organisation before today. Simple database searches yielded credible accusations that the arena functions as a showpiece for a major human rights violator. U2 should not be playing there.

so without U2 announcing their Manilla date you wouldn't have known about the situation over there?
  4. Why are people protesting U2 in Australia?
  5. Duerte: of course. Heck, MacPhisto talked about him.

This church/cult? Never heard of them. Now I have.
  6. No idea. This same sort of topic pops up every time U2 plays somewhere controversial. Brazil 2017, UAE rumours and now Philippines.
  7. Anyway talking about the stadium itself, it actually looks really cool.
  8. You find that groups that lend support to human rights violators find protests all over the world. I was alerted to the church and arena by a colleague in an Australia free speech group (EFF), who also works with other human rights organisations. Why were there protests in the US at shows by artists that played Sun City? Same thing.

Folks know about it now, eventually the info should get back to management, the band will do what it wants. Maybe they go in there and ask for prayer for the disappeared...that would take guts. It wouldn't surprise me. But until then I'm with the human rights community and certainly will support those under attack by what by all accounts is an organisation that is a major human rights violator. Everyone will have to make their own decisions, and I certainly will respect those who differ from my choice.
  9. yes, thanks to U2 announcing their show. Earlier on you said there were no positives... now you can protest against everything you found out... or are you (and the others) only going to protest the U2 show?
  10. Originally posted by Turkued:[..]
    You find that groups that lend support to human rights violators find protests all over the world. I was alerted to the church and arena by a colleague in an Australia free speech group (EFF), who also works with other human rights organisations. Why were there protests in the US at shows by artists that played Sun City? Same thing.

Folks know about it now, eventually the info should get back to management, the band will do what it wants. Maybe they go in there and ask for prayer for the disappeared...that would take guts. It wouldn't surprise me. But until then I'm with the human rights community and certainly will support those under attack by what by all accounts is an organisation that is a major human rights violator. Everyone will have to make their own decisions, and I certainly will respect those who differ from my choice.
    ah, that already sounds a lot different.. you see some positives now..