1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It's pretty much an early version of MW with 2 bridges that never made it into the final song (and one of which became the verse structure of One, of course), isn't it? I doubut there's much "hidden" in there But yeah, taking the voiceover off sounds like a good idea - do you use iZotope RX for that?
    I mean the first one from the doc, the melbeach (Edge's house) tape from May '90. It runs for over a minute but has Bono and Edge talking over it. Later in the doc you hear them jamming the same song in Berlin, where they tried the bridges indeed.

I was just curious to hear that first incarnation without them talking, I don't expect to find anything "underneath" really

That is if it is at all possible, because the talking sits right in the middle of the music range.. Using Audacity at the moment, did most of the other tracks with that as well.
  2. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    I mean the first one from the doc, the melbeach (Edge's house) tape from May '90. It runs for over a minute but has Bono and Edge talking over it. Later in the doc you hear them jamming the same song in Berlin, where they tried the bridges indeed.

I was just curious to hear that first incarnation without them talking, I don't expect to find anything "underneath" really

That is if it is at all possible, because the talking sits right in the middle of the music range.. Using Audacity at the moment, did most of the other tracks with that as well.
    iZotope is head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to separating voice and instruments, if Audacity doesn't yield decent results I can give it a try with this other software. Let me know
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    That's a very nice find! It's definitely the genesis of Lemon's rhythm section. At the beggining I thought the drums sounded like Some Days Are Better Than Others too, don't you hear a similarity?
    I actually thought about Some Days as well this morning, will check for similarities. The bit I used is the only bit I think that has enough "bass leak" to identify and edit. That is, apart from the numerous Acrobat Drum/Bass takes on CD 4-7...
  4. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    I actually thought about Some Days as well this morning, will check for similarities. The bit I used is the only bit I think that has enough "bass leak" to identify and edit. That is, apart from the numerous Acrobat Drum/Bass takes on CD 4-7...
    It's more of a "gut feeling" than a real, tangible similarity. The moment I heard the drums I started humming Some Days' bassline - that has to mean something! Haha
  5. LikeASong,

Couple replys in one:

"Yeah that's exactly what we are trying to build: a comprehensive list of all the soundchecks that exist, hopefully with a list of songs/jams and with download links that make them readily available - just in the fashion of our immense show collection. Why can't you download from U2torrents?"

- My ratio is bad (below .25) and I don't really feel like uploading TB's of stuff and keeping torrents open for the next 2 weeks to "fix" my ratio..

"iZotope is head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to separating voice and instruments, if Audacity doesn't yield decent results I can give it a try with this other software. Let me know"

- Be my guest! I'm very much a beginner at this, started 10 days ago with a trial of Adobe Audition and now Audacity. Will give iZotope a look..

"It's more of a "gut feeling" than a real, tangible similarity. The moment I heard the drums I started humming Some Days' bassline - that has to mean something! Haha"

- Same here. Heard most of the rhythm yesterday and this morning Some Days was in my head, so it could be on there somewhere, haha
  6. Originally posted by melon51:LikeASong,

Couple replys in one:

"Yeah that's exactly what we are trying to build: a comprehensive list of all the soundchecks that exist, hopefully with a list of songs/jams and with download links that make them readily available - just in the fashion of our immense show collection. Why can't you download from U2torrents?"

- My ratio is bad (below .25) and I don't really feel like uploading TB's of stuff and keeping torrents open for the next 2 weeks to "fix" my ratio..

"iZotope is head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to separating voice and instruments, if Audacity doesn't yield decent results I can give it a try with this other software. Let me know"

- Be my guest! I'm very much a beginner at this, started 10 days ago with a trial of Adobe Audition and now Audacity. Will give iZotope a look..

"It's more of a "gut feeling" than a real, tangible similarity. The moment I heard the drums I started humming Some Days' bassline - that has to mean something! Haha"

- Same here. Heard most of the rhythm yesterday and this morning Some Days was in my head, so it could be on there somewhere, haha
    Got plenty of ratio on U2T so let me know what you'd like to download and I just will download it for you

Regarding iZotope: it's far from being a begginers software, and it's far from being free If you have the audio of that FTSD documentary already split and available, send it over and I'll work on it!
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Got plenty of ratio on U2T so let me know what you'd like to download and I just will download it for you

Regarding iZotope: it's far from being a begginers software, and it's far from being free If you have the audio of that FTSD documentary already split and available, send it over and I'll work on it!
    I'm using this cut I made as a basis, haven't had any succes yet in reducing the talking without screwing up the track Although I'm sure some improvs can be maden.. Not sure if it is of any use to you?

And will have a look over at U2torrents if there is anything interesting then, thanks..
  8. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    I'm using this cut I made as a basis, haven't had any succes yet in reducing the talking without screwing up the track Although I'm sure some improvs can be maden.. Not sure if it is of any use to you?

SoundCloud: U2 "Sick Puppy" by BB

And will have a look over at U2torrents if there is anything interesting then, thanks..
    Whops, I didn't remember they were talking over the track while it was playing on their speakers, with the room reverb and everything! If they were talking over the soundboard-track it would be easier to remove. It's very difficult to work with this and the best compromise I've reached between voice removal and music preserving is this: https://fromsmash.com/NDA-CZyWLy-ct
  9. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Whops, I didn't remember they were talking over the track while it was playing on their speakers, with the room reverb and everything! If they were talking over the soundboard-track it would be easier to remove. It's very difficult to work with this and the best compromise I've reached between voice removal and music preserving is this: https://fromsmash.com/NDA-CZyWLy-ct
    Haha,

Nice rough mix! They should have used that one and called it the "HeavyBassMidrangeBulldozer Mix"

But yes, the problem is that the talking is in the same Frequency spectrum as.. the music and the vocals. I'm gonna try some more "tricks" but otherwise leave it...

It it were easy I would have done the same to the Berlin and March '91 parts of the Doc to have some nice in-between progression fragments.
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    This is a fun exercise!

Somehow I just managed to take Bono out almost completely, revealing more of the song. But Edge is still as loud Let me save these presets before I forget how I did that..
  11. Tïesto or Flood would make a nice remix out of that
  12. Originally posted by melon51:[..]
    This is a fun exercise!

Somehow I just managed to take Bono out almost completely, revealing more of the song. But Edge is still as loud Let me save these presets before I forget how I did that..
    Hahaha it's trial and error!