1. Originally posted by melon51:So for the other nerds of obscure soundcheck stuff (although it seems there aren't very many )...

Here's 2 more "new/unknown" tracks from Lovetown Melbourne rehearsals on 7th and 8th October 1989.

1. This sounds a bit like a "drunk" hilbilly version of The Fly. But jokes aside, can't find anything in this track that reminds me of a later song:

SoundCloud: U2 Unknown Song: jam In E Soundcheck 8 Oct 1989 by BB

2. This one is a bit more interesting. With a bit of willpower you can hear the rough backbone of Until the end of the World. Sounds like a more complete idea as #1 as well:

SoundCloud: U2 Early Until The End Jam Soundcheck 7 Oct 1989 by BB
    Have to say these last 2 tracks are sped-up I think, sound a semitone higher than normal. I'll see if I can get them back to normal
  2. So here's the same track sped down to their normal tuning (and as it was played):

3. Ok.. Not sure if anyone's interested, but at least I am

The other song (8th October Jam in E chord) is also kind of interesting.. The lyrics include "heartbeat" a lot of the time. And I remembered this story from Bono about the birth of Jordan in a Documentary made by her:

--

He brought a portable tape recorder and recorded his daughter’s heartbeat as she was in the womb.

“I was going to make a song recording your heartbeat as the rhythm. And I noticed the heartbeat going slower,” he said.

--

So it could be that this demo/jam is actually an attempt on that song... I'll try and clean up the audio and correct for pitch (the original soundcheck I found was a semitone too high and too fast)
  4. BTW Bono's phrasing and way of singing his bongolese in the verses kinda remind me of The Invisible Man by Queen. You can easily sing "I'm in your room and I'm in your bed / And I'm in your life and I'm in your head / Like the CIA or the FBI / You'll never get close or take me alive... / I'm the invisible man, I'm the invisible man" over that jam
  5. Originally posted by melon51:Ok.. Not sure if anyone's interested, but at least I am

The other song (8th October Jam in E chord) is also kind of interesting.. The lyrics include "heartbeat" a lot of the time. And I remembered this story from Bono about the birth of Jordan in a Documentary made by her:

--

He brought a portable tape recorder and recorded his daughter’s heartbeat as she was in the womb.

“I was going to make a song recording your heartbeat as the rhythm. And I noticed the heartbeat going slower,” he said.

--

So it could be that this demo/jam is actually an attempt on that song... I'll try and clean up the audio and correct for pitch (the original soundcheck I found was a semitone too high and too fast)
    Wow, that's a higher level of hunting! Curious to hear that
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I can still hear The Fly's rhythm there. First 2 minutes (until Bono comes in) are closer to The Fly than to UTEOTW to me. Then it morphs into something a bit different and there's of course some UTEOTW seeds there
    Guess the feel is more like The Fly yes... But the bass part sounds more like Until to me.

But they seem to always have been frantically focused on creating the "big rock song in E", there's more unknown stuff than I thought.

But let me go back and try to fix the "Hilbilly Fly" song that has a lot of "heartbeat..."
  7. I cut the first 20 secs or so off because there was too much noise on the background and no singing yet.

Didn't do much else other than changing the speed. I matched the whole soundcheck recording to SB bootlegs of Lovetown and this was a semitone up and 6% faster. So I matched it with their tuning for Lovetown, and it's now a proper jam in D#

So here is the first time U2 played "Hearbeat" live!