1. Originally posted by Pipo:[..]
    It won’t protect you (wearing a cotton mask) but helps not infecting others through you. So it’s helps not spreading
    What do you mean it won't protect me? Nothing at all?
  2. It should also be mentioned that if people are wearing gloves to the supermarket they should really be thrown out before you get into your vehicle or home. Not disposing off them means the virus could be spread with them.
  3. No but helps When you have the virus without symptoms and When sneezing Or coffing Or talking Little bits of virus spreads. And with a mask They don’t get far
  4. Originally posted by Fly40:Tonight my father in law has passed away because of this fucking virus.he was 75
    Please stay home and act responsibly
    Only this way we can fight it
    Please

I'm sincerely sorry, Marco. My deepest condolences
  5. Originally posted by Pipo:No but helps When you have the virus without symptoms and When sneezing Or coffing Or talking Little bits of virus spreads. And with a mask They don’t get far
    I know the virus can spread by touching contaminated surfaces and then touching your face, so a mask will not make you immune to the virus, but I've been reading in many sties the advice of doctors and they still recommend to wear your own mask of cotton or pillowcase, even some studies have shown that a homemade mask can reduce contagion, of course, not as effective as a surgical mask. So far all the articles I've read coincide that wearing a homemade mask is better than nothing.
    Of course, I'm still following common-sense measures like maintaining my distance, washing my hands, etc. I only go out for groceries once a week.
  6. What I read about it so far is that a mask will only protect you from transferring the virus to someone else.

For your own "protection" it doesn't do much, the virus doesn't "float" in the air. Gloves or a mask might make you stay away from touching your face, but you'd need a certified hospital mask to prevent a closeby virus-sneeze from entering your airways. And those masks are badly needed by hospital staff right now.

Best thing really is to keep 6ft (sneeze) distance with anyone you don't know very well, not touching your face once you touched something outside and a simple hand-washing routine...
  7. Substantial amount of virus can float in the air up to 3 hours, confirmed by several research centers now.

Wearing a mask is better than not doing it, that's for sure. It won't make you immune though, and the only downside is the potential lack of masks for those who need them the most (healthcare professionals mainly). But if you make your own mask at home then just wear it by all means - it won't do you zero harm and the potential benefit is big.

@cesar_garza01 take a look at this article (sorry everyone, it's in Spanish): https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-04-01/mascarillas-si-o-no-el-debate-entre-oriente-y-occidente.html
  8. Thanks for the article Sergio, very interesting. Indeed, it´s better than nothing, and since it´s homemade, I don´t feel guilty. Even if it the mask is only to avoid transmitting the disease if I´m asymptomatic, I´ll take that.
  9. Also, look at these charts. For the best materials for a homemade DIY mask, a study tested effectiveness against 0.02 micron particles (5 times smaller than COVID-19):

So the first chart suggests that vacuum cleaner bags or dish towels may be the best materials for a homemade masks, however, when you factor in breathability:

These charts can be found in this study

The conclusion they arrived to was that the best materials for a homemade mask are 100% cotton shirts (double layered) or a pillowcase. They filter more than 50% of 0.02-micron particles and they are breathable enough you can wear it for hours.
  10. Are they talking about masks as if you were sick, right?

I hope one thing that comes out of this pandemic is the social acceptability of people wearing face masks in Europe, etc. I don’t want to be standing next to someone on a train who is fucking coughing and sneezing everywhere. Wear a mask.
  11. The study checks the percentage of particles of size 1 and 0.02 microns (COVID-19 is 0.1 microns) filtered by these materials. Scientists shot particles to the mask, not from the mask outside, so my understanding is that this is for trapping the virus in the mask. Adding a double layer of cotton or pillowcase only improved the filtering % by 1-2%.

Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:I hope one thing that comes out of this pandemic is the social acceptability of people wearing face masks in Europe, etc. I don’t want to be standing next to someone on a train who is fucking coughing and sneezing everywhere. Wear a mask.

Exactly, that's why I made my mask. 3 weeks ago an idiot sneezed without covering his face near my wife in the supermarket. For those situations where you're in immediate danger, you want to have some protection, however small it may be.
  12. Originally posted by Fly40:Tonight my father in law has passed away because of this fucking virus.he was 75
    Please stay home and act responsibly
    Only this way we can fight it
    Please
    Very sorry to hear this
    My sincere condolences.