1. Originally posted by ELIZIUM:Ignorant. Look up the nature of a pathogen. The remarkable capacity of some viruses to adapt to new hosts and environments is highly dependent on their ability to generate 'de novo' diversity in a short period of time. Rates of spontaneous mutation vary amply among viruses. RNA viruses mutate faster than DNA viruses.

I suggest you read more! Go on.
    Here, try this for a start. You will learn a lot that will make you think about the 'bullshit' of the variants...

[image]

Highly recommended to anyone who wishes to learn just how control measures and how the purpose of epidemiology are defined in pandemic states.
    I wouldn’t call myself ignorant. I realize these variants are real and a potential threat. What I believe is bullshit is the media’s response to these variants. They don’t know anything more about them than I do. The suggestion that we need to stay locked down indefinitely due to the threat of these new variants is what I find to be ridiculous. They’re already talking about Covid-21, and people are losing their shit all over again.
  2. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]
    They need to figure out how to make these things happen. We can’t just keep cancelling events indefinitely. At what point will they stop saying “well maybe next year...”. Vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable, as many others as you can, take pressure off the hospitals, and open up 100%.

And don’t give me that shit about new variants and mutations. Purely fear mongering bullshit from a media struggling to remain relevant.

LOL this is why bands won't be touring for the foreseeable future.
  3. Ok fine, I’m an asshole, I’m ignorant, I’m wrong. Let’s just stay locked down forever just in case.
  4. Nobody called you an asshole. There is a big difference between calling you that and stating the word 'ignorant'. I do not think you are an 'asshole' so please do not refer to yourself as such, you are not. Probably as tired and bored of the projected media as most of us, for that is their job to regurgitate, expand, expound and often subject an audience to bias approach. There are more reliable and accurate sources for information and facts.

In the majority, what is the most contributing factor to progress of any future tour by any band is fiscal policy. Is it viable? What are the ramifications of taking a tour out on the road compared to affordable ticket prices given the mass unemployment and drastic reduction in fiscal collateral/disposable income this pandemic has caused. The virus itself will be secondary in comparison, even though public opinion will sway the uptake of ticket sales and their thoughts now on mass gatherings even in light of global inoculation.
  5. Sorry about throwing the word “asshole” into the mix, haha. I was not mad or anything, but I apologize as the tone of my post might have suggested otherwise.

I agree about it not being financially viable, at least for the foreseeable future. You’re right, that will impede things as much if not more than the virus eventually.

If U2 were to do things like socially distanced concert, the tickets would be expensive as fuck to compensate. And they’d probably just be playing on a flatbed trailer with no effects to try and offset their costs. Also, a tour will not be able to happen unless all states/provinces/countries in the region are on the same page. If a band cannot play California, New York, Chicago, Toronto etc, then it’s not going to work, even if they can play in places like Florida, Texas, Midwest, etc. Same situation in Europe, with all of those countries. Basically, if they can’t go full on 100%, most acts aren’t going to be touring.

I think all of 2021 is already fucked. There’s too many logistics and planning that go into something like that, and they aren’t going to go to the trouble if they aren’t sure they’ll be able to. I’m fairly sure that by summer the covid numbers will be considerably lower across the board. That doesn’t mean they can just fire up the machine in July and start hitting the road immediately. Bands that postponed their dates to later this year are just kicking the can down the road. My best prediction is no big concerts as we know them until summer 2022.
  6. Originally posted by deanallison:I think the strategy they’re using puts profits before attendance figures anyway. ie they would rather sell 30k at an average of $150 than sell 40k at an average of $100. Saying that 360 definitely seemed to be the peak of there selling powers down under when you look at how many tickets they sold and the average profit per attendee figure. The stage set up must have caught the imagination as NLOTH wasn’t exactly there most popular album.
    Little wonder , ever since then they had completely ignored our market!
  7. Originally posted by podiumboy:Sorry about throwing the word “asshole” into the mix, haha. I was not mad or anything, but I apologize as the tone of my post might have suggested otherwise.

I agree about it not being financially viable, at least for the foreseeable future. You’re right, that will impede things as much if not more than the virus eventually.

If U2 were to do things like socially distanced concert, the tickets would be expensive as fuck to compensate. And they’d probably just be playing on a flatbed trailer with no effects to try and offset their costs. Also, a tour will not be able to happen unless all states/provinces/countries in the region are on the same page. If a band cannot play California, New York, Chicago, Toronto etc, then it’s not going to work, even if they can play in places like Florida, Texas, Midwest, etc. Same situation in Europe, with all of those countries. Basically, if they can’t go full on 100%, most acts aren’t going to be touring.

I think all of 2021 is already fucked. There’s too many logistics and planning that go into something like that, and they aren’t going to go to the trouble if they aren’t sure they’ll be able to. I’m fairly sure that by summer the covid numbers will be considerably lower across the board. That doesn’t mean they can just fire up the machine in July and start hitting the road immediately. Bands that postponed their dates to later this year are just kicking the can down the road. My best prediction is no big concerts as we know them until summer 2022.
    I think 21 is done. Entertainment is last on the list for many people and those economic factors mentioned are going to undermine any profit. The only hope is that the industry has been hit so hard that hopefully economic incentives will allow for a peak.
  8. Glad I went whilst I could I guess. Compensate for these 2 years 😅
  9. We’ll have to see how the vaccination campaigns go over the next 6 to 8 months. If they’re slow and the new variants resist the vaccines, we can be in for a long wait.

We can hope for global herd immunity only when 75% of the world population is vaccinated.
  10. 2023 for normal concerts to resume. Maybe even 2024. Vaccinations will continue throughout 2022 in different countries and then it takes time to actually plan the tours too. It wouldn't surprise me if Social Distancing remained in place even if everyone was vaccinated. U2 might have to have seats on the floor instead of standing GA.