1. The song was released 30 years ago nearly, if they’ve played 312 shows since 360 I can’t imagine how many they’ve played since zoo tv so again it’s missed a ridiculous amount of shows, especially for such a great song.
  2. My point again. Infrequent performances of these songs every now and again tells a bigger story than some of these songs being played every night on one tour (in the way Dean has dismissed Acrobat). A one-off performance of Zoo Station in 2015 is a bigger story than 59 Acrobats or 20 Zoo Stations in 2018.

These songs have always been in the bands peripheral view and they are always keen to revisit.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    The song was released 30 years ago nearly, if they’ve played 312 shows since 360 I can’t imagine how many they’ve played since zoo tv so again it’s missed a ridiculous amount of shows, especially for such a great song.
    But what's your point? It's missed hundreds of shows but was played at 59 of the last 74 shows and we're here discussing the possibility of an AB / ZooTV anniversary show.
  4. Originally posted by KieranU2:Get your stats out for the lads.

It genuinely does not matter how many times each song was played, it's the fact they were played on stage by the band. It merely shows - even if they were rehearsed! - that the band are thinking about the music from that particular period in their career. That's the point I was pretty much making in the initial post, which spoke hypothetically and speculatively about an anniversary tour.

Yes the band clearly did think about these songs and this period of their career on 2 brief occasions at the end of 360 and the last third of E&I. And they only did so for E&I because they were returning to Berlin at the end of the tour and wanted to come up with a different narrative for the show that wasn’t too similar to I&E. The 360 celebration didn’t feature any surprises from the album really, underplayed songs but nothing that they shouldn’t be playing regularly, Ultra Violet was the most obscure on the 3 occasions it was played at that stage of the tour but it had already featured heavily on 360 and wasn’t about celebrating AB.
  5. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    The song was released 30 years ago nearly, if they’ve played 312 shows since 360 I can’t imagine how many they’ve played since zoo tv so again it’s missed a ridiculous amount of shows, especially for such a great song.
    The songs aren’t ‘missed’. They just aren’t in the designed setlist for the particular tours you mentioned. Why is 360 the focal point of your stats? Without the delay in that tour meaning Glastonbury coincided with the 20th anniversary, i highflying doubt that setlist would have been what it was.

The band didn’t ‘miss’ playing Joshua Tree songs in 2018. It could be argued the shows suffered for it. They just didn’t fit the set they designed or the period in time the 2018 tour took place in.
  6. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]
    But what's your point? It's missed hundreds of shows but was played at 59 of the last 74 shows and we're here discussing the possibility of an AB / ZooTV anniversary show.
    99% of stats can be spun to suit your own point. 87% of people agree with this.
  7. Originally posted by germcevoy:My point again. Infrequent performances of these songs every now and again tells a bigger story than some of these songs being played every night on one tour (in the way Dean has dismissed Acrobat). A one-off performance of Zoo Station in 2015 is a bigger story than 59 Acrobats or 20 Zoo Stations in 2018.

These songs have always been in the bands peripheral view and they are always keen to revisit.
    Playing zoo station in Berlin 2015 is comparable to them playing one tree hill when they’re in Australia or New Zealand or Mothers when they were in South America. It still didn’t stop them doing JT2017.
  8. Bono snippetted Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car quite a few times in 2018 and 2019. I think that confirms the anniversary tour.
  9. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    The songs aren’t ‘missed’. They just aren’t in the designed setlist for the particular tours you mentioned. Why is 360 the focal point of your stats? Without the delay in that tour meaning Glastonbury coincided with the 20th anniversary, i highflying doubt that setlist would have been what it was.

The band didn’t ‘miss’ playing Joshua Tree songs in 2018. It could be argued the shows suffered for it. They just didn’t fit the set they designed or the period in time the 2018 tour took place in.
    Missed, not played, whatever the terminology isn’t important and 360 was my focal point because Kieran mentioned it but also if we’re looking at the number of JT songs performed since vertigo to JT2017 its comparable in terms of years between tours and number of songs.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Missed, not played, whatever the terminology isn’t important and 360 was my focal point because Kieran mentioned it but also if we’re looking at the number of JT songs performed since vertigo to JT2017 its comparable in terms of years between tours and number of songs.
    I'm too confused to carry on now.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]

Yes the band clearly did think about these songs and this period of their career on 2 brief occasions at the end of 360 and the last third of E&I. And they only did so for E&I because they were returning to Berlin at the end of the tour and wanted to come up with a different narrative for the show that wasn’t too similar to I&E. The 360 celebration didn’t feature any surprises from the album really, underplayed songs but nothing that they shouldn’t be playing regularly, Ultra Violet was the most obscure on the 3 occasions it was played at that stage of the tour but it had already featured heavily on 360 and wasn’t about celebrating AB.
    But nobody is necessarily saying they were "celebrating AB" on 360 or the subsequent tours. What we are saying is that exclusivity of an anniversary tour is perhaps diluted by how many songs from that era have been played in the last 10 years. It might not be, they can put their own spin on the show, but it could be that they've tried to introduce so many of these AB era songs to emphasise they might not want an anniversary tour. Either that or it's some sort of warm-up (which has now been decimated).
  12. End of Vertigo tour - JT2017 = 11 years (8/11 JT songs played in that time)
    End of 360 tour - potential AB tour = 10 years (9/12 AB songs played in that time