1. Can we at least agree it's not really a U2 album?

It's more of a U2 acoustic cover thing by the Edge with guest vocals by Bono.

Still having trouble thinking of 40 songs as an "album." You can't listen to it (at least very easily) in one sitting, and there is no thematic or narrative arc. It's more of a massive dump of songs done roughly in the same style.

Am I alone in thinking, for example, that, say, Beatles 1 is a collection of songs but not an album in the way that Rubber Soul or Revolver are albums?
  2. Originally posted by dstankie:Can we at least agree it's not really a U2 album?

It's more of a U2 acoustic cover thing by the Edge with guest vocals by Bono.

Still having trouble thinking of 40 songs as an "album." You can't listen to it (at least very easily) in one sitting, and there is no thematic or narrative arc. It's more of a massive dump of songs done roughly in the same style.

Am I alone in thinking, for example, that, say, Beatles 1 is a collection of songs but not an album in the way that Rubber Soul or Revolver are albums?
    We can at least agree to disagree.
  3. Beatles 1 is just a collection of songs, similar to an anthology kind of thing. Perhaps if all the songs on Beatles 1 were redone acoustically with two of the Beatles doing most of the work and the other two Beatles adding bits and signing off on the project..then they'd be similar
  4. There's clearly a unifying theme/intention behind this album - to strip things back to their essentials and allow Bono's obvious vocal development a place to shine - which The Edge in particular has spoken about multiple times now in his various audio interviews.

The sonic arrangements are also pretty consistent across all of these songs and for me that gives the album a greater resonance because I can hear a common thread now across songs from different albums that wasn't as obvious before because of how many sonic styles U2 has experimented with over the years.

Also, new lyrics and vocal inflections . . . Bono is obviously getting resolution on some of these songs in a way that makes me feel these renditions of the songs have something new to say. How can you listen to the new version of With Or Without You, for example, and not see it as a distinct work of art now, completely separate from the original? And the live performance of it is almost entirely another thing again because of the "Martello Tower" spoken word piece.

So, yeah, it's a new U2 studio album and it's certainly not a rehash anthology like their lame Best-Of collections from years ago.
  5. I don’t really consider it a U2 album. I also don’t consider the “best of” albums as actual albums. They’re collections of songs. Majority of SOS is acoustic but there’s also odd ones like Desire. Actual U2 albums have a consistent production and theme. This is a mixed bag of lettuce from the discount grocery. You’ll find a few really great fresh pieces and a lot of rotten ones. The other big thing is these aren’t new songs.
  6. I don’t know what the hell to call it, but I sure as fuck like it!!
  7. I like this new SOS album. I think it is best album u2 has done since Achtung baby. Some songs are not very good like The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) but for me it is best of album and im happy these new versions. Best u2 albums are: 1. The Achtung Baby , 2.War , 3. SOS , 4. The Unforgettable Fire , 5. Boy , 6. Rattle and hum and 7. The Joshua Tree
  8. Originally posted by BloodyValentine:There's clearly a unifying theme/intention behind this album - to strip things back to their essentials and allow Bono's obvious vocal development a place to shine - which The Edge in particular has spoken about multiple times now in his various audio interviews.

The sonic arrangements are also pretty consistent across all of these songs and for me that gives the album a greater resonance because I can hear a common thread now across songs from different albums that wasn't as obvious before because of how many sonic styles U2 has experimented with over the years.

Also, new lyrics and vocal inflections . . . Bono is obviously getting resolution on some of these songs in a way that makes me feel these renditions of the songs have something new to say. How can you listen to the new version of With Or Without You, for example, and not see it as a distinct work of art now, completely separate from the original? And the live performance of it is almost entirely another thing again because of the "Martello Tower" spoken word piece.

So, yeah, it's a new U2 studio album and it's certainly not a rehash anthology like their lame Best-Of collections from years ago.
    This
  9. If you took the best 11/12 songs, plonked them onto 1 CD , this album would be getting amazing reviews globally
  10. Originally posted by Timk68:If you took the best 11/12 songs, plonked them onto 1 CD , this album would be getting amazing reviews globally
    Most likely. Then keep the other dozen or so tracks for the limited special edition releases etc etc etc.
  11. the rest could of been a fan club CD