1. Originally posted by Timk68:If you took the best 11/12 songs, plonked them onto 1 CD , this album would be getting amazing reviews globally
    Nope. They would have chosen ALL the wrong tracks.
  2. First post.
    So I have been following this topic from the beginning, interested in seeing peoples thoughts and hopes and disappointments as the snippets of songs were progressively released ahead of 17 March.

I was totally with the seeming consensus of fears of a long, boring, unproduced, unnecessary rehashing of songs we all love in low energy acoustic versions without Larry & Adam. So I thought this would likely be an album to skip.

Now the album is out and I think a lot of the reviews have been more positive than expected. So I have listened to every song multiple times on YouTube. Yes, a lot of the new versions don’t do a lot for me, particularly the anthems like One, Sunday, Streets etc. but some of the tracks are really growing on me and I am reassessing my initial trashing of the concept.

I think Bono’s voice is great in many songs, and Edge’s guitar, keys and other stuff is quite varied in terms of style and pace. So I do believe this will become accepted as an important part of U2’s legacy. It is not a throw away. It is not an ego exercise. It is a companion album giving a different perspective to many of the songs across pretty much the whole U2 journey.

It is not a traditional greatest hits with a few B sides covering a decade or more of historical recordings. I like that these are songs we know, sometimes from way back, but sung with Bono’s today voice. Sure, 40 songs is too much for me, but there are quite a few really interesting and worthy reimaginings.

Anyway, I have made an album playlist which I am loving.
    I Will Follow
    Two Hearts Beat As One
    Invisible
    Every Breaking Wave
    Electrical Storm
    The Fly
    Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
    Until the End of the World
    Bad
    11 O’Clock Tick Tock
    Lights of Hone
    AllI Want is You
    (12 songs, 53 minutes)

I think I am enjoying this as much as, if not more than, SOI and SOE.
    What do you think, and what is your “single album” playlist?
  3. I agree in respect it is definitely something i can stick on and not worry about . I have issues with SOI and SOE as some songs i have to skip.
    I like your track listing though i'd definitely include IGWSHA and Little Things , i also like One and Pride a lot so would add those in, its difficult to tale it down to 11 / 12
  4. A lot of posts suggesting it should’ve been 10-12 tracks but no two lists agree.
  5. I have listened a few times through to the 16-track version. I gotta agree. A lot of the stuff I’ve really enjoyed didn’t make the cut…I’m happy we got the bigger set and I feel that’s where some of the real gems are.
  6. We have 40 rewrites so far.

We need SOS versions of the other 200 songs they've written.

I'm thinking 5 more volumes of SOS in 40-track chunks.

At 2 years per volume, that could keep U2 busy until 2033 and Larry should be back on his feet by then.
  7. They should release a 20-24 track version.

8. Great idea. You should tell U2 about this.
  9. People around these parts can't even agree on a 10-12 song track list of an ordinary album.