1. Originally posted by tbirdgnv:I started listening to the four-record vinyl edition of Songs of Surrender when it came out. I honestly thought some of the tracks were subpar. Desire--in particular--had me getting up to move the needle.

I made a playlist recently with just the songs that are on the 16-track version (why isn't that a default option on Apple Music?).

It's my new favorite album! Every song is in its right place.

After several months of listening, I like this project more and more. But I do think some "tough love" advice on what songs made the final cut would have improved the 40-track version. Those deeper cuts could have lived on as b-sides.

On a completely different note, I will perpetually be disappointed that the liner photographs are from the archives. Seems like coming up with new images is a low bar. Even if the band couldn't get together, images of them creating this work during lockdown combined with new artwork would have been better than band photographs that don't match the timeline of when they created this work. And the contrast of three Pop-era portraits with Bono's 1980s Surrender portrait on the cover is so odd!
    I'm confused as I'm sure others are by that cover choice. The only decent cover image (for me anyway) has been the Songs Of Experience album in recent years.
  2. Hi, I've got the 4cd box set and I rip all my CDs to my computer; however, in this set, the 4th cd doesn't load. Now, you may think maybe my drive has a problem, but I've tried with other CDs and there is no issue. Furthermore, I sent this back for a replacement and the 4th cd on the new set also does not load!!

Has anyone experienced this?

What is going on!?
  3. Try a different program to rip. There’s an issue with how the disc is burnt and it’s showing a pre-gap track, which means some programs won’t rip or struggle to rip. There’s nothing actually there but I had a struggle as well to rip, and told all of the copies have this issue…
  4. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:Try a different program to rip. There’s an issue with how the disc is burnt and it’s showing a pre-gap track, which means some programs won’t rip or struggle to rip. There’s nothing actually there but I had a struggle as well to rip, and told all of the copies have this issue…
    Ok, good to know, thanks man
  5. I've already had several listens, and the album is gaining my appreciation. At first, the disrupted rhythm in "With Or Without You" annoyed me, but I think I understand it now, along with many other aspects of this album. As Edge once said, it's supposed to sound like Bono is singing to you, whispering in your ear. It has to be admitted that this sound is exactly like that and is certainly balanced. This doesn't make "Songs Of Surrender" a difficult work to appreciate, except perhaps for a few moments where Bono might be trying a bit too hard, but overall, it's good. However, this is my maximum rating for the style of this album.
  6. I never really listened to it until now.

There’s some nice alternative versions.
  7. Someone gifted me the 16-track version on vinyl for Christmas. Loving it all over again! I stand by my comment that this album is very good, but that the weaker songs weigh down the 40-track version. Someone should have told them to pare down the release. Or, at least the shorter version should be the default for streaming services and most sales (they could have even held the longer version back for a deluxe edition released a few months after the original). Maybe this is the downside of letting The Edge produce. No one delivered the difficult message! "One" being track one and "40" being track forty was just too tempting I guess.
  8. Outside from a few tracks, I generally really enjoy SoS. I had pretty low expectations, but the final product is surprisingly enjoyable and cohesive. It's aging fairly well for me.
  9. I've always found it enjoyable. It's nice to have something recent, even if it is this. Atomic City is the icing on the cake.
  10. I am not a fan of the 40 track version. I don’t find it flows well, and there’s a clump of songs I don’t love as I go through it. I find the 16-track CD version misses out on some of my favourites. So I made my own version a while back and I actually do listen to it quite frequently. I get all my faves without waiting through stuff I don’t want to hear.
  11. Originally posted by u2wanderer1:I am not a fan of the 40 track version. I don’t find it flows well, and there’s a clump of songs I don’t love as I go through it. I find the 16-track CD version misses out on some of my favourites. So I made my own version a while back and I actually do listen to it quite frequently. I get all my faves without waiting through stuff I don’t want to hear.
    That's the right approach